Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

42 posts, read 222,584 times

Advertisements

Although I don't know much about older homes other than I love the look of them, and heating a home with oil would scare me, I love your house. I think the outside is overall charming, love all the original wood inside (I agree, don't paint it!), even love the heavily wallpapered room even though I hate wallpaper, its charming in an over the top kind of way. ;-) The kitchen needs some help but I'm sure you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a house you're trying to unload. I would paint the kitchen something other than that beige, I find it unattractive with the dark cabinets possibly the right shade of light linen blue. I known you've already received other ideas though, and probably blue isn't "neutral" enough. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
The kitchen picture must be really bad because the walls are not beige -- they are a light green/blue, and the wall you can't see has white wainscoting. The walls DO look beige in the picture due to the lighting I think -- ugh. It's too bad she couldn't get another angle that shows the white wainscoting -- it does brighten up the room a lot. Plus, why focus on the old oven and microwave? That is the one appliance we didn't replace.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Looks spooky

Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Hey, thanks! LOL!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,490 times
Ditto to most other agents remarks....do not paint the woodwork. I agree that it needs to be painted and wallpaper removed. Buyers are very unforgiving right now. The want it all, lol.

Why can you not give an asbestos abatement allowance at close? Have it held in escrow until completed? I would think that would take care of the "buyers objections" that your agent said were there.
If your agent already has the bids on file, she can pass it along to the buyers agents that show the home. That problem is then solved.

I also agree that a bit of staging needs to be done. Liven up the kitchen and definitely clean the fireplace. Best of luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
I am putting in my 2 cents on a question you asked
It's not cruel to go with another agent if this one isn't working out for you. Some agents are stong in one area and other in another. She just may not have what it takes to sell this home. It's not personal-it's business. If you are confident in her then by all means keep using her. But I am guessing you have some doubts just from your post and your having to turn to the forum to ask some questions.
We had to switch agents when selling a home a few years ago. I gave him 3 months and he never communicated with us and really didn't market it all that well. We asked to be let out of our agreement and he did it and we went with a woman who I just fell in love with-she got the job done within 2-3 months.
Good luck! You are paying a mortgage on this and so you have to do what's best for you.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM

240 posts, read 537,553 times
Lawmom, I love the house, and wish it were here in Texas, I'd make you a cash offer! I agree with others here, get rid of the wallpaper and red/pink paint, and do not change/paint the wood! You will most likely have to abate that asbestos, as some lenders (FHA,etc) usually have a hard time lending on such properties.

Good luck with your sale!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,964 times
I'm surprised it hasn't sold too. It is quite charming. If I did anything at all, it would be remove the wallpaper and paint a neutral color. Wallpaper is a total turn-off because most people see it as too much trouble, as with a bad paint color, it's pretty easy to deal with.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the input.

We will either have the asbestos pipes wrapped or offer a concession. Our mortgage is VA and they had no problems with it, but it's a turn off for some people anyway.

Ya know, in thinking more about this, while some of the houses in the neighborhood are 2 family, they are quite nice and well-kept and quiet. BUT, one house right next to ours is not very well kept. Unfortunately I think she's a "crazy cat lady" and her house shows it some from the outside. Nothing too horrible, but not nearly as nice as every other house in the area. We have no control over that but it would impact marketability.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Wow, beautiful house full of character. What I would do to sell fast and cheap is to have the agent take the pics over again with better lighting, either natural or artificial. Yes, the house is darker toned, but I would not re-paint unless the current paint is really unfresh or soiled looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate