Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times

Advertisements

Assuming you have keys, it's simple. Tape a written notice on their door 24 hours before the showing stating the date you intend to show it. Then on that date knock first and enter. If the tennat gets mad, tough ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Your lease will say if you're allowed to market the property for sale while they're living there. Besides that, many home owners offer the tenants cash upon an offer received while they're still living there. THat helps them want to keep the place clean and allow buyers in. Cash speaks in most cases.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
...If I know a home has tenants in it I exclude the house from showing if there are plenty of others to see. Homes with tenants do not usually look good or impress buyers - there are exceptions.

Best thing to do is get rid of the tenants, fix up the house and have it looking in tip top shape.
Agree, usually too much trouble to schedule and they generally don't want you there. OK for investors that want to take over management of the property.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
I would be really peeved if I was paying full rent on a home and had to have it in "showing condition" at all times and have strangers wandering through my home looking at my things. I know landlords have the RIGHT to sell a house while renters are in it, but I don't think it's right.

I'm a very private person, and the pressure to have a house always perfectly clean for visitors would make me NUTS. I'd be angry that I was paying full rent to sell someone else's house. It was a very stressful time when I was a child and my parents were selling our own home, because there were seven children and we had to keep the house perfect at all times. It was awful, and we were the actual sellers.

The decent thing to do would be to offer a reduction in rent, maybe they'd come around. You do have a legal right to sell the house while they are in it, but I really feel for THEM in this situation. Do they have small children? Maybe they aren't comfortable with strangers wandering through their homes and maybe taking things?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I would be really peeved if I was paying full rent on a home and had to have it in "showing condition" at all times and have strangers wandering through my home looking at my things. I know landlords have the RIGHT to sell a house while renters are in it, but I don't think it's right.

I'm a very private person, and the pressure to have a house always perfectly clean for visitors would make me NUTS. I'd be angry that I was paying full rent to sell someone else's house. It was a very stressful time when I was a child and my parents were selling our own home, because there were seven children and we had to keep the house perfect at all times. It was awful, and we were the actual sellers.

The decent thing to do would be to offer a reduction in rent, maybe they'd come around. You do have a legal right to sell the house while they are in it, but I really feel for THEM in this situation. Do they have small children? Maybe they aren't comfortable with strangers wandering through their homes and maybe taking things?
I'd say, if you feel that way, you shouldn't sign a lease that allows the landlord the right to show the property for sale. Leases that I've seen have in them that the tenant will allow a lockbox and showing for lease during the last month of the lease, which would be the same thing, and the tenant can get out of it by agreeing to pay a substantial sum (a few hundred dollars) for the privilege of NOT allowing the landlord to show the property, because of the resulting loss to the landlord (who, however private a person you are, actually owns the house you're living in, remember).

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
, tough ****.
exactly. Irritate the tenant enough and that is what he will leave in the living room. Saw a place where the bank owned the place and was selling it out from under the guy. He had his dog poop throughout the house and left it there.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd say, if you feel that way, you shouldn't sign a lease that allows the landlord the right to show the property for sale. Leases that I've seen have in them that the tenant will allow a lockbox and showing for lease during the last month of the lease, which would be the same thing, and the tenant can get out of it by agreeing to pay a substantial sum (a few hundred dollars) for the privilege of NOT allowing the landlord to show the property, because of the resulting loss to the landlord (who, however private a person you are, actually owns the house you're living in, remember).

Sounds like a reasonable alternative to me. Really, if it was just the last month of the lease I don't think it would be as much of a big deal. But the option of paying a fee for the landlord not to show the house also sounds like a good solution.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 AM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
Renters are never fun to deal with. I never like showing property with tenants, and often make them the last ones I show people. There is nothing in it for them, and its hard to motivate them to do (or not) do anything. Then if the new property owners want the space themselves (especially with single family), their lease will be ending no matter what and they are going to be moving at some point. So in some cases they will do anything to make sure the property isn't going to sell. Guess I can't blame them, it can really not be fun for them as well.

Such as limiting the hours to show a house. I had some buyers, the wife gives me a call on a Sunday afternoon, tells me they want to see this house (we were going to see other houses on Monday). Cute house, good price, no wonder they want to see it. No problem I tell her, I'll get you in it.

Look it up.

Problem: The showing hours are limited to 1-3 PM Saturday only. 2 hours in a whole stinking week! Are you kidding me? I need to show it Monday, Why? The husband is working the next two Saturdays, and cannot get out of work. Because the third Saturday they are going to a relatives wedding (to mock me to boot the wedding starts at 1PM). So they cannot see the house for a month (provided the husband doesn't get stuck with work on the fourth Saturday again).

Asked a more experienced agent that was in the office if she had seen a house with showing hours that limited before. She thought it was really weird too. Must be the tenant from hell she says.

Call the listing agent. Ask if we could get in a different time. Tell her why. Wish I could, she says, Not a chance though, the tenants won't budge from those hours. She and the property owners had been trying and getting nowhere on this issue. These tenants are giving her the hardest time about it for trying. She is almost crying on the phone she is so frustrated about that she couldn't get me in (or anyone else for that matter).

Never the less, my buyers never saw that house.

Last edited by richb; 03-10-2010 at 12:34 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefaze View Post
how do i sell my home with the current renters unwilling to let buyers see the home inside
Insufficient information. Are you going with the buyers or are you just sending potential buyers over their way? If you're not going with, are you at least giving the tenant notice (which you ought to do in any case)? Because if some strangers just up and showed up at my door and said "your landlord said I could take a look around," I'd certainly tell 'em to knob off.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,396 times
TexasHorseLady mentioned renters being given an option to pay extra $$ to keep the house they're living in off the market.

Deals can also be negotiated where renters are given concessions or even offered a lump sum if they agree to work with the owner instead of against them in getting the property sold.

Coming up with an agreement where both sides give a little, instead of digging in their heals and demanding every little thing they're entitled to under the law, could make the situation a whole lot less stressful for everyone.

Personally I find living in a house when it's on the market a real PITA. I hate it as an owner, I imagine it has to be even worse as a renter. And in my state, the laws are such that I'm sure a tenant could make having a house on the market a futile exercise for a landlord if they chose to.

Of course I have no idea where the OP is, or what kind of statutes he/she is operating under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate