Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,216 times

Advertisements

WRONG!
I bid on 4 properties. I lost 3 of them. One I bid OVER asking and lost it.
Guess what, the properties sold and I could verify it via public record. The records state the owners' names. So the multiple offers ARE real.

The 4th property we bid on, there were 4 offers on the table after the home was on the market for 2 days.

I didn't believe it either the first time we bid. I thought they were lying as the house had been on the market for 6 months and all of a sudden another offer came in at the same time. We bid a little low and lost the house.
Lesson learned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&AMOM View Post
Well we found a house that was just listed last night and while we at our showing there were people that came while we were there, then later at our second look there were people leaving and coming. We made an offer and they have three other offers!! We are going to lose it because we gave our very best offer and it's not good enough apparently. It sucks. Definitiely not a buyer's market here (at least in our price range.)
Where are you and what price range?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
I find it amazing how often a listing will sit on the market for months and then when an offer does come in, another offer almost always follows shortly after. Many times we've had an old stale listing get 2 offers the same day. It really does happen, more often than you would think. Usually something has happened recently with the listing to make it more appealing, either a price reduction, or an incentive of some type offered, or a new paint job, or something.

Short version: Whatever made it suddenly interesting to you could easily have attracted others.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
After reading these posts, I have come to realize the housing market is only slow in the areas that no realtors post from.

Kinda confirms my belief that a realtor would be the last person to admit housing is slow in their area.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM

181 posts, read 409,267 times
As an agent I hate multiple offer situations, whether I am the listing agent or the buyers agent, for some of the reason already stated. IMHO, it is highly doubtful that an agent would lie about multiple offers.

If you do not believe the agents, then do what sheenie2000 did and confirm or deny the facts if possible. Sheenie2000 learned a lesson, maybe it is possible others can learn the same lesson also.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
After reading these posts, I have come to realize the housing market is only slow in the areas that no realtors post from.

Kinda confirms my belief that a realtor would be the last person to admit housing is slow in their area.
Multiple offers on certain properties and slow sales are 2 completely different things.

You have had non-Realtors on this thread confirming there are indeed many multiple offer situations going on right now. That you refuse to believe it is another issue.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,065 times
I don't know this is some thing the agent obligate to do or not, when we put an offer on a property, we are the only offer at the time, the agent came back and told us she has an offer at full price from previous viewer, she said it is her obligation to let those previous viewers know the offer is on the property. That can also attributed to multiple offer on property.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM

81 posts, read 195,904 times
I bidded on 3 houses just recently.

1st one, at list, did not win.
2nd, a little above asking, did not win.
3rd, below asking, won.

My Realtor had several clients, one of who bidded on 5 or so properties and did not get a single one.

It really depends on the property and what market you are in.

In my home buying experience lately, there just isn't much supply on the market, and if there is, it is a most likely a short sale.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
Interesting. I just posted about my friend who somehow got duped by her agent into asking full list price when she knows now there was absolutely no need to do that. I don't think she got the "multiple offers" line, but something similar I guess, some kind of pressure. I'm sure the sellers were happy, but this agent worked for the buyer, not the sellers
What's wrong with paying full price. Why does everyone think it is acceptable to STEAL another persons hard-earned equity?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
WRONG!
I bid on 4 properties. I lost 3 of them. One I bid OVER asking and lost it.
Guess what, the properties sold and I could verify it via public record. The records state the owners' names. So the multiple offers ARE real.

The 4th property we bid on, there were 4 offers on the table after the home was on the market for 2 days.

I didn't believe it either the first time we bid. I thought they were lying as the house had been on the market for 6 months and all of a sudden another offer came in at the same time. We bid a little low and lost the house.
Lesson learned!
LOL you didn't "LOSE" anything. "Lost the home..." that is just hilarious.

I'm in the thick of the most out of whack RE market - the "prime"/desirable/higher end neighborhoods of LA, so my comments will be directed mainly based on my experiences & "local market".

There are some sales happening right now because there are ALWAYS gullible people who never learned that the LAST person you ask for financial advice is the person who stands to make money from your purchase.

And the poor *******s in the real estate business, tired of eating cat food and ramen for the last couple of years, are so desperate for a deal that they'll tell you the sky is purple if they think it will get you to buy. Remember, "it's ALWAYS a great time to buy".

Employment is in the toilet and at near-Great Depression levels. Homes in any remotely desirable areas have not yet returned to a decent price (3 to 4 times incomes). Sane people these days are holding on to their money and NOT buying in case their jobs don't last and they end up needing to leave the "golden state" to find work elsewhere. ARMS, stagnant economy, no jobs, monster government debt/fleecing of the taxpayers and public coffers....the bottom ain't here yet.

Who is buying in the mid and high end? Impatient suckers with money to burn, people who don't know any better, and some men getting pressured to buy by nesting wives. When asking prices are still 8x, 9x, 10x or higher than household incomes, and even in the nicest areas they have been historically 3x or 4x household incomes, then there is a bubble that needs deflating. Meanwhile rents are much more in line because they are based on what people can actually afford. It's not too hard to look at Redfin or Zillow and find many, many 2-3 bedroom homes (not condos, not mansions) that were easily within 3-4x the household income in very desirable parts of Los Angeles prior to the last decade.

In case people hadn't noticed, our economy in California is literally done for...dead cat bounce is in and the housing bulls are literally done. And Cali is what, one fifth of the US economy? I've been wondering how investors are sitting there with money in real estate watching the stock market climb and climb. When they don't realize those housing gains in 3-5 years, combine that with people walking out on their underwater mortgages, RIDICULOUS amounts of government inteverention that have only managed to SLOW the plummet to a crawl and you are looking at YEARS of depressed housing prices.

Don't sweat it. There is literally NO need to purchase a house. Not with rents as low as they currently are. Last I looked, a nice 3 bd/2ba in better parts of West LA goes for $2700-3500/mo, but would cost around $7K+/mo to purchase. The housing market THRIVES on emotion based decisions. The people seeing a bottom here (LOL..a 3 month bottom) are going to be kicking and screaming as they pull that falling knife they caught out of their chest 2-3 years down the road.

The biggest problem is the Artificial Govt Support. Throwing good money down a rat hole and just prolonging the agony. Prices are the problem. If it wasn't for gov't manipulation we would be though the worst of it by now after 2 years. But no, let's stretch it out for another few years, AT LEAST, until it's even worse before we go down the toilet. And even with all this support and artificial supply shortage in the housing stock, the RE market is still barely limping along, slowly lower and lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate