Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would share something nice since we see so many stories of things that go wrong and people who aren't always the nicest.

Got my inpsection report on the house we are under contract for. Overall it was very good. While there were about a dozen items that had comments on them, most were really of the normal wear and tear variety. I only asked for them to fix one item related to the chimney because it was very hard to tell how big of a deal it might turn out to be.

When my attorney sent over our request for the one item he included the summary page of the inpsection report which listed all of the items. The sellers came back and are having every single item taken care of. Their comment was they are not comfortable having someone take their house with any issues at all.

On top of that they mentioned that they are having the heating and airconditioning (which are only a few years old and no issues noted)serviced one last time before we close as they said "they want to make sure we have no issues with the hot summer coming up".

And here is the kicker. The termite inspection came back with no issue as well. They are having a company come out and spray anyway. The reason they gave was "since they know my wife is pregnant and they thought we may want to get this done anyway they don't think it is right to spray the house with someone who is pregnant living there".

Did I mention we got the house for about 50K less than what we had come up with based on sold comps? I didn't think people like this existed anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
good for you and the sellers.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,067 times
That's an amazing story, I'm very happy for you!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I had some sellers that when the garage door opener broke during the transaction installed a new upgraded one for the buyers. They also created a huge manual with how to care for the house and who did what...it was really nice.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
Good to hear, you really lucked out!!

Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
We just moved into our home last week - we were first time homebuyers - and we had a terrific experience. Our Realtor led us to exactly the type of homes we were interested in, in the neighborhoods we liked. We ended up putting in an offer on the first home we looked at.

Our Realtor and mortgage officer (whatever you call that person who shepherds you through the loan process) were both wonderful. They held our hands clear through the process and didn't flip out on me when I was calling/emailing every.single.day.

We met the sellers at closing (they closed just after us so we ran into them in the lobby) and they were so gracious and so sweet. They both said they had such wonderful memories of living in the house and hoped that we would have wonderful memories too. They also told us what they knew of the history of the house and about the neighborhood.

While the whole waiting for underwriting thing was horrid, overall the homebuying experience was pretty awesome and it was thanks to our Realtor and mortgage lady.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
Oh boy am I jealous! We had the opposite experience when buying our home 4 years ago. (and with a 6 week old baby) Rotten subfloors, leaky roof, mold, etc. It was a conbination of seller cover up, a terrible home inspector (recommended by our realtor), and rush on our part. Learned a lot of lessons!

When we sold our last house in FL, my husband stayed there until 2AM cleaning it from top to bottom the night before closing. It was spotless when we left. (and we were exhausted with our newborn too!)

I'm glad to read your story here because I was really getting discouraged lately. It seems like everyone is just out for themselves, and you really lose by being a "nice guy" these days. Maybe there are some good old fashioned nice folks still around!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Just got the appraisal. 45K over sales price.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

124 posts, read 528,375 times
Thanks for sharing a much-needed happy home-buying story. We're in the process now, with everything going smoothly thus far (though it's early in the game). We had a relatively easy time when we recently sold our "old" house, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're just as lucky buying.

Enjoy your new home!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Internet forums like this one, tend to attract bad news bears.

I too appreciate that you took the time to share good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate