Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,423,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I always feel compelled to call BS whenever I read this. Yes, it's true to a point, but it doesn't scale.

As an analogy, most would agree that it makes sense that a new Lexus costs more than a new Hyundai. But few would agree that paying $250k for a Lexus sedan makes sense, when a Hyundai sedan costs $15k.
Hyundais are terrible cars. Lexus’ arent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 AM

5,516 posts, read 9,519,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hyundais are terrible cars. Lexus’ arent

Yet, Hyundai's aren't so much worse than Lexus' that such a large price difference makes sense. That was my point.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:11 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,663,731 times
Quote:
Yet, Hyundai's aren't so much worse than Lexus' that such a large price difference makes sense. That was my point.
Ok, but you're talking cars, we're talking places to live. NYC or Youngstown?

Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ok, but you're talking cars, we're talking places to live. NYC or Youngstown?
Yes, it's all personal, but for me, I would choose Youngstown, no question. Moving to NYC would cause a big drop in my quality of life. The only improvements would be greater mobility, and more job opportunities. And the latter wouldn't matter anyway, because I already have a steady job.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's all personal, but for me, I would choose Youngstown, no question. Moving to NYC would cause a big drop in my quality of life. The only improvements would be greater mobility, and more job opportunities. And the latter wouldn't matter anyway, because I already have a steady job.
You’d make much more $$ in NYC though, prob twice as much.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,663,731 times
Quote:
More money. More things to do, people to meet.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You’d make much more $$ in NYC though, prob twice as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
More money. More things to do, people to meet.
Sure I'd make more money, but that would still only get me a bland 1 bedroom apartment, with much less disposable income.

There are already more things to do in Youngstown than I have time for.

As for people to meet, Youngstown is a metro of over half a million. It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,926,670 times
Quote:
Sure I'd make more money, but that would still only get me a bland 1 bedroom apartment, with much less disposable income.

There are already more things to do in Youngstown than I have time for.

As for people to meet, Youngstown is a metro of over half a million. It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah but you are not in NYC, so there is no possible way you have a decent quality of life.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Yeah but you are not in NYC, so there is no possible way you have a decent quality of life.
Lol I know you’re being sarcastic but it is true.

Yes I live in NYC & I do so for a reason ...

Rather here live as a pauper than as a queen anywhere else ... my husband and I have a pretty good income so we live a good financial life but we’d be giving up a lot if we moved elsewhere specifically an abundance of good paying work.

Ppl live here bc of the jobs but also bc there’s a ton to do & see, everything you could imagine to eat, beaches etc ... & the diversity is awesome.

My husband’s cousin grew up in the rural midwest and everyone in her school was white. How boring that is!

Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM

22,712 posts, read 36,909,494 times
Quote:
Lol I know you’re being sarcastic but it is true.

Yes I live in NYC & I do so for a reason ...

Rather here live as a pauper than as a queen anywhere else ... my husband and I have a pretty good income so we live a good financial life but we’d be giving up a lot if we moved elsewhere specifically an abundance of good paying work.

Ppl live here bc of the jobs but also bc there’s a ton to do & see, everything you could imagine to eat, beaches etc ... & the diversity is awesome.

My husband’s cousin grew up in the rural midwest and everyone in her school was white. How boring that is!
Like Long Island (where you live) isn't consistently one of the most segregated places in the country. Dollars to donuts your HS was as white as the midwest cousin's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate