Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 11:19 AM

216 posts, read 682,219 times

Advertisements

Hi, all....since there is so much experience on this board, I thought I would ask you all this question.

I am looking at some lots of land in southern Maine. I understand that having town water and sewer is less expensive than putting in a well and septic. But I was wondering which, in general, is less expensive when it comes to overall site prep for building....

Lot 1 is flat, and open, with pasture/meadow views....but needs a well and septic installed.

Lot 2 has town water and sewer, but is heavily treed......looks fairly level, but its hard to say.

I know I am talking in generalities, and there are other considerations, but what do you think would be more expensive to do? A lot of excavation for site prep, or installation of a well and septic on a flat, level lot? I would not be building right away, but in the future, so I don't have a builder to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Yes, this is a shot in the dark - as a general (& only a general) statement - I'd pick the lot with the municipal water & sewer.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I would pay a local builder to come out and give you an opinion.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM

336 posts, read 927,706 times
for future re-sale I know a lot of people that won't touch a house without city water and sewer. Wells & Septic systems can equal BIG headaches.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
How deep would the well have to be, and will the land pass a perc test for septic. Costs can vary quite a bit depending on the answers to those questions.

City water and sewer has a big plus of knowing the quality of the water is safe. The costs for removing trees can also vary a lot depending on if there is a market for selling them, and how many there are.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 PM

89 posts, read 200,468 times
I think people's reaction to well water vs city water and the whole septic thing varies by area. I know where I grew up it was a big plus to have well water versus city and septic was not really a big deal. Where I am now, you are pretty much going to have well and septic and noone would be put off by it. I see on here people have strong opinions about them, but that just might be based on location. I think the idea of having someone come out and look and give you estimates would be best. You should check well depth and have a perc test though, that can be a deciding factor.

I know flat land and views are desirable, but some like seclusion. You just need to weigh the pros and cons

Old 05-07-2010, 05:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
If they're nice mature trees and you can leave some of them in good places on the lot as you build the house, they can actually end up adding value to ye olde homesteade in the long run.

Down here, I'd really avoid well water for primary use. The water table here has dropped over the last 30 years, and it's pretty common to have to re-drill if you either use well water for a primary source or for irrigation purposes.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM

216 posts, read 682,219 times
Thanks for all the responses...my husband prefers town water and sewer, but in many areas, the more private, beautiful, rural lots have well and septic.

I live in the greater Boston area, and we recently had a pipe burst that contaminated our reservior water source for several days....it made me rethink well water, and how vulnerable and dependent we are on our communty water source.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
for future re-sale I know a lot of people that won't touch a house without city water and sewer. Wells & Septic systems can equal BIG headaches.
The millions of us that have a well and septic system would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate