Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

I've made my own pizza dough forever. My problem is no matter how much I try to flatten the dough before baking, it gives me thick bread-like pizza crust... sometimes it rises so much while baking, it's definitely 2-3" thick Sicilian pizza. Nothing wrong with that & it always tastes better than great... but I'm tired of sandwichy pizza.

I'm yearning for flat, thin, crunchy crust. What am I doing wrong? Too much yeast? Letting it rise too long? I even cut it into smaller quadrants, rolled out separately into personal sized pizzas hoping to stretch the dough flatter & further... before my eyes it springs into a nice puffy pizza dough. I don't roll it much as I thought the more I manipulated it, the puffier it would be... or so I was told.

I'm out of options. Do I just need a new recipe? Any ideas?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,486 times
Disclaimer, I've never done this! Maybe you could partially pre-bake your crust & when it starts to puff up, remove it from the oven & roll it out thin again & then dress it with toppings?

Courtney

Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Your probably using the wrong ingredients. Google Neapolitan pizza

Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Disclaimer, I've never done this! Maybe you could partially pre-bake your crust & when it starts to puff up, remove it from the oven & roll it out thin again & then dress it with toppings?

Courtney
Haha I like your disclaimer, Courtney. I'm going to start saying that in real life the next time someone complains to me about their SO... "Um, disclaimer, I don't know him/her, but..."

It puffs up from the instant I punch it down after rising & roll it out. I roll it, it pulls/sponges back & puffs... over & over. I try to use my fingers instead to see if I can just knead it onto a pizza pan to flatten it... it grows & expands before my eyes in seconds... I really make bread-pizza not pizza! It doubles in the oven, too... but it sounds like there's too much yeast is my best guess.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Your probably using the wrong ingredients. Google Neapolitan pizza
Okay, Jag, thank you. I'm checking out one now & the recipe ingredients is the same as mine. The process of rising twice & kneading for 30-min (in the one recipe I'm viewing) is far different, however.

Maybe I'm not working the dough enough, as would be evident by the recipe. I'm probably not recollecting fully, but I always though if you work dough too much it gets airy/puffy... perhaps it's the other way 'round.

I'm going to give one of these other recipes a try... thank you!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!

Use High gluten flour, this makes a difference, King Arthurs's flour.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
My family absolutely LOVES this crust. We are "filling" people, who simply need a good base to put them on. LOL

1 c. all purpose flour (or use 1/2 WW)
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
6-8 Tbsp cold water

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in small bowl. Add water, stir with fork til dough comes together. Add a bit more water if necessary. Knead until smooth. Shape into ball and let rest 5 min. Divide dough in half and roll each piece out, dusting as necessary to keep dough from sticking to pin or board. Preheat lightly oiled griddle on large burner over medium heat. Cook until bottom is dry and starting to brown. Place on cookie sheet and pile with toppings. Bake at 450 deg for about 10 min. or until done. This is soooo good! and really fast, too.

I have a large family, who loves left-over pizza, so I triple the batch and make 6 pizzas, with lots of different ingredients. My family's new favorite is Chicken/bacon/ranch/cream cheese!

Topping: Diced sauteed chicken, fresh bacon bits, diced green onions, chopped fresh spinach, cream cheese, ranch dressing, mozzarella & monterey jack cheese. Spread crust with softened cream cheese, layer on chicken, bacon, onions & spinach. Drizzle w/ ranch dressing, and top with shredded cheese. OMG....to DIE for!! LOL

Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!

Use High gluten flour, this makes a difference, King Arthurs's flour.
Thanks, Jasper, I bookmarked the site. Looks interesting with some serious pizza makers sharing their recipes. I need flour so I'll look for high gluten... I never noticed what I normally buy.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
My family absolutely LOVES this crust. We are "filling" people, who simply need a good base to put them on. LOL

Topping: Diced sauteed chicken, fresh bacon bits, diced green onions, chopped fresh spinach, cream cheese, ranch dressing, mozzarella & monterey jack cheese. Spread crust with softened cream cheese, layer on chicken, bacon, onions & spinach. Drizzle w/ ranch dressing, and top with shredded cheese. OMG....to DIE for!! LOL
Thank you Mel for sharing the recipe. This dough looks easy so I'll give a whole bunch of recipes a try. I've been hearing people rave about buffalo chicken ranch pizzas, as well. Never tried them... I'm fairly simple with pizza... I like plain, just sauce & mixed cheeses but do make pizza dough often & garnish it varying ways like focaccia, no sauce. I've even done steak & cheese pizzas... well, with my thick puffy doughs, again it's always focaccia.

I'm going to post a before pic of my tummy so once I have a nice round muffin top from pizza feasting, you'll all have known me when.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I was about to say, for thin crust pizza, why do we WANT yeast in the dough? I had a single pie crust left over from the pocket pies I was making. Used it for something else, but wondering if I couldn't have used it for pizza effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes