Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

My mom used to make a casserole sometimes when it was cold that had layers of ground beef, sliced potatoes, and maybe sliced onion. It was filling and comforting on those cold San Diego evenings. She doesn't even remember what I'm talking about unfortunately! Can anybody help make my food memory a reality?

I'm 99% sure there was no "cream of" soup added as my mom doesn't like to cook with ingredients like that. Also I don't recall it being a particularly "wet" dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Here's something that I have made in the past that comes out real good.. it's filling, cheap to make and the leftovers are great. Normally I make a huge and ancient pyrex bowl of the stuff but you have to scale down as needed. I use 5 pounds of potatos.

Thin sliced potatos, sliced in the food processer or on a mandolin
cooked ground beef crumbles
thin slices onions
salt, pepper,flour and plenty of butter for each layer.
Evaporated milk
corn flake crumbs or plain bread crumbs for topping.

Start with Layering potatos, onions, ground beef, butter, flour, just sprinkle evenly over potatos.. salt and pepper.
Keep repeating ending with a top layer of the sliced potatos pour on evaporated milk untill baking dish is about 1/4 to 1/2 full top with more butter pats salt and pepper and Crumbs bake untill crumbs are browned.. a little more then an hour at 375.

This is in no way an exact recipe just something I seen grandma do since I was a little boy.

Leave out the onions and sub the beef for ground ham and you have escalloped potatos

Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Debsi what about making a roux of milk, flour S&P like you would for scalloped potatoes to pour over your layers? It wouldn't get wet or mushy since you didn't mention cheese it wouldn't be like augratin.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Those are some good ideas there. I guess I'll have to tinker and experiment with it... Thanks to both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes