Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's my situation.

Hubby and I have a small cabin in the mountains, about 3 hours from our home. The kitchen is tiny. I do have a slow cooker and electric skillet there (and a great coffeemaker, lol!) But cooking is a hassle. We leave our home on a Fri evening and by the time we have carried in luggage, we are tired and the last thing we want to do is head back to the grocery store.

I have tried in the past to come up with easy to make and transport dishes and snacks. This is not such a challenge for a weekend, but I need ideas for longer stays.

We are not going to our cabin for the next few months to "relax." We are involved in renovation and hard physical labor, so taking time off to "clean up" and go out to eat is not convenient (and eating out is expensive).

So far, this is what I typically pack:

1. Cut up veggies to snack on and use in salads, i.e. bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery, zucchini, etc. and head of lettuce

2. Bake lasagna and freeze, so it is frozen when transported

3. Pancake mix, rice

4. Frozen butter

5. several cans evaporated milk

6. Pasta (spaghetti, macaroni)

7. Some kind of cake - looking for suggestions on something easy - pound cake is our preference but that is not easy to take out time to do ahead

8. Frozen hamburger (for spaghetti sauce and hamburgers)

9. 1 doz. boiled eggs; eggbeaters

10. mayonnaise, oil & vinegar dressing, sour cream

11. diced tomatoes (canned, low sodium) for sauces

12. various types of cheeses and crackers

What i need are recipes that would be easy to prepare ahead. I have 3 containers that are insulated - 1 qt., 1 1/4 qt. and 2 qt. I would like to figure out what would be good to transport in those containers that would provide an easy meal and leftovers. In the past I have done such things as green bean casserole or macaroni and cheese.

Please give me suggestions for other items to add to my list of stuff to pack ahead for my pantry - and any recipes that would help me with "food on the spot" once we arrive at our destination.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I've been back and forth cleaning out a rental house so I understand after driving and unloading the car the last thing you want to do is cook. I bring down a frozen rotisserie chicken from the market and a few bags of frozen veggies for a quick meal when I get there. When I cook soup or stew at home I always freeze a quart or two and bring that with me also. Frittata with bacon, spinach, cheese freezes and travels well, as do pancakes.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've been back and forth cleaning out a rental house so I understand after driving and unloading the car the last thing you want to do is cook. I bring down a frozen rotisserie chicken from the market and a few bags of frozen veggies for a quick meal when I get there. When I cook soup or stew at home I always freeze a quart or two and bring that with me also. Frittata with bacon, spinach, cheese freezes and travels well, as do pancakes.
Oh - the rotisserie chicken is a great idea! And I love frittatas. Adding those to my list.

Thank you so much for that info.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
You can make tacos with that rotisserie chicken - bring some fresh salsa, shredded lettuce or cabbage, and a package of tortillas with you.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We like meatloaf sandwiches, so I would make a meatloaf and freeze it. You could also take a jar of gravy and have hot open face meatloaf sandwiches.
Do you have freezer space? We have the frozen PF Changs entrees for two a lot. Just heat it in the frying pan and throw it on top of some rice.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Use those cut up veggies to make a stir fry. Sear the veggies real quick put in bowl. Sear cut up strips of chicken of beef real quick and put into bowl. Pour in two cups of wine red or white ( White Zinfendel is good because of the slight fruity flavor). Bring to boil toss in one table spoon of corn starch. I usually mix cornstarch and wine in a bowl with a whisk real quick then toss in skillet. Toss veggies and meat into boiling wine then mix for about three to five minutes and your done. Salt and pepper to taste. You can also add in some pickled ginger strips, light soy, sesame oil, Asian hot sauce. I love using Mae Ploy Sweet Hot Thai chili sauce. Bean curd paste also work wonders. Don't forget the Tofu.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Hash Browns. Get a couple of bags at the store. You can make alot of excellent meals with those, add an onion, green pepper...eggs, cheese, you have breakfast. Add veggies, chicken, melt cheese on top with salsa, you have dinner. They cook up fast in an electric frying pan, and always taste good. Just dump em, and heat em up.

Scalloped potatoes, with ham...just make a nice casserole, and heat it up when you get there.

What?! You never take any black beans? That is it! Or tortillas? Or Cornbread? Interesting...
Best Canned Black Bean Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Last edited by jasper12; 05-12-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Oh, these are great ideas! Have hash browns in the freezer right now - they'll be making the trip!

Great idea about the stir fry! Appreciate the info - have added it to our menu.

And we love eggs and salsa.

Have picked up some Lean Cuisines - we like the glazed chicken, so that will work well for a meal.

These are all great ideas and I really appreciate it.

I made pasta salad last nite - found an old recipe I had long ago lost - the original Hellman's pasta salad recipe. If anyone wants it, let me know. It tastes terrific when I sampled it this morning. Just wish I had doubled it.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Make up some chili at home and freeze it. It can also act as your "ice" while transporting any other food up there.

The first morning at the cabin, throw it in the crock pot on low and you have dinner.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I saw boiled eggs, but no egg salad on your list. Or tuna salad. With some whole grain bread - yum! When I need to travel with these things, I pack the bread separately - lettuce in a Ziploc and the 'salad' mix in a plastic container. That way, nothing gets soggy.

"garbage on toast" was a favorite of mine as a kid too. It freezes well too. When you freeze it though, use a container shaped similarly to your crockpot (ie, round or rectangular, small enough to drop in the crockpot), then just drop it in the crock from a frozen state and let it reheat on low throughout the day. (Brown ground beef, add a can of mush soup, frozen peas, etc. Serve over toast). I have an excellent recipe for 'cheeseburger sandwiches' too - served on Kaiser rolls, brown ground beef and onion, throw in casserole dish, add chopped sweet peppers (green is fine, I use red too for color) and velveeta, bake or crockpot until gooey and yummy. Ground beef is great for traveling - you can brown it up with onions and freeze it in dinner size portions, then get creative and add to it the things you like. Serve over bread or tortillas of your choice. These are always popular with a wide variety of ages, a little different from the norm, but not low fat!

Instead of a cake, try making mini cheesecakes in a cupcake tin, freeze them before transporting in a plastic container, layered between wax paper sheets. Mini pies, made in cupcake tins too, would work - though I wouldn't freeze them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes