Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times

Advertisements

I make this for people at work all the time. My boss says it's "to die for." For me, it's curry! So, I love it!

Curried Mango Chicken

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root or 1 heaping tablespoon of ginger paste.
3 cloves of garlic; minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 mangos; chopped and peeled.
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I use 1 Tbsp of Tandoori paste instead and omit the cayenne pepper.)
Hot cooked rice

In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the chicken, curry, ginger, garlic, salt and cayenne. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the mango, coconut milk and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with rice if desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this out. What kind of curry powder do you use?

O0o, me from Minnesota too.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM

I use Madras Curry Powder when I use a commercial brand. It's a bit spicier. I usually make my own curry powder, which is just a blend of anywhere from eight to 20 different spices, depending on what you're going for.

Are you in Minneapolis? If so, there's a great little grocery store in Uptown called Bill's Imports that has great curry powders as well as other foreign ingredients. They're pretty reasonable, too. Otherwise, there are Indian grocery stores in Bloomington that are great!

Also, if you're in the Twin Cities, Aldi grocery store has mangos on sale this week (through Saturday) for just 49 cents each!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I use Madras Curry Powder when I use a commercial brand. It's a bit spicier. I usually make my own curry powder, which is just a blend of anywhere from eight to 20 different spices, depending on what you're going for.

Are you in Minneapolis? If so, there's a great little grocery store in Uptown called Bill's Imports that has great curry powders as well as other foreign ingredients. They're pretty reasonable, too. Otherwise, there are Indian grocery stores in Bloomington that are great!

Also, if you're in the Twin Cities, Aldi grocery store has mangos on sale this week (through Saturday) for just 49 cents each!
Yes, I am from the city and I have been to Bill's Imports before. I am only familiar with Thai curry, a little of Indian curry and Middle Eastern curry. Will it taste different if I use different curry? JW. Oh yeah, what kind of curry is this? Chinese? Japanese?

Thanks for letting me know about Aldi grocery. Will do that sometime~

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Yes, I am from the city and I have been to Bill's Imports before. I am only familiar with Thai curry, a little of Indian curry and Middle Eastern curry. Will it taste different if I use different curry? JW. Oh yeah, what kind of curry is this? Chinese? Japanese?

Thanks for letting me know about Aldi grocery. Will do that sometime~
Madras curry is Indian, which is my favorite. I love Indian food! I like Thai curries, too, but favor Indian.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Madras curry is Indian, which is my favorite. I love Indian food! I like Thai curries, too, but favor Indian.
Oh sweet. I like Indian curry too. Thanks for the recipe! Again!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 PM

96 posts, read 133,722 times
It sounds delicious! Thank you!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Embla. You wouldn't think you could taste the mango in all those spices but you really can. It's the perfect compliment to them and adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the spice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes