Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 04:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

I am invited to a potluck and I would like to bring chicken wings/drumettes.

What is your favorite recipe?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Lisa, here's one I've taken to work and they liked it. I marinated it while I was at work and then cooked it all up the night before. Took it to work the next day in a crock pot to warm up. You can use any kind of chicken part ... I think it'd be great with drumettes, just adjust the cooking time.

Red Chile Marinated Chicken

1 1/4 cup Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce, hot or mild
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white vinegar -- or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
A couple of turns on a black pepper grinder
A pinch of dried oregano -- crushed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt
3 pounds chicken -- with bone and skin
(Suggested garnish [but I didn't use] - avocado slices, shredded lettuce or cabbage, cilantro)

Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Add the chili sauce. Add vinegar, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, oregano and garlic. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool.

Sprinkle salt over all the chicken pieces on all sides. Put chicken pieces in a non-reactive bowl or a large freezer bag. Add the marinade; make sure all pieces are coated well with the marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour, preferably overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken pieces with marinade in a roasting pan, skin-side up. Cook for about 45-50 minutes,

Serve garnished with sliced avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage dressed with a little vinegar and oil, and cilantro.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
You can't do chicken wings well as a pot luck item any more than one could do dinner rolls unless you cook them there which you will not want to do. Chicken wings need to have some crisp and some crunch and then have the sauce fresh on them and not soggy and soaked in. That is the whole point.

There is endless disagreement over what is the bet way to get a crispy wing that is well cooked inside. Some people slow cook them on the grill, some bake dry, and of course the commercial wings are deep fried.

Your best bet for a decent wing will probably be deep fried and cooled down slowly then reheated at the party. Then sauce added.

Don't worry about your sauce recipe. The wing or the drumette is what counts. YOu will get rave reviews with a simple sauce of butter and Frank's Hot Sauce if the chicken is good.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Lisa, are you absolutely wedded to the notion of wings or drummies? We've got a recipe for BBQ Chicken Poppers that is just fabulous, and it always gets rave reviews when we take a pan of them to potlucks or family gatherings.

BBQ 3000 Chicken Poppers

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb. sliced bacon, cut in thirds
2 Tbsp Penzey's BBQ 3000 seasoning blend (see note)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Line a wide, shallow roasting pan with foil, lay a rack on the foil, and spray with pan spray.

Wrap each cube of raw chicken with one of the one-third slices of bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Combine the brown sugar and BBQ 3000 seasoning in a wide, shallow bowl and mix thoroughly.

Drop each bacon-wrapped piece of chicken into the brown sugar and spice mixture and roll with your fingers to coat it liberally. Lay coated pieces of chicken on the rack.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the coating is nicely browned.

Note:
Penzey's is our favorite spice purveyor, and the BBQ 3000 blend is their version of a dry rub for barbecue. It's amazingly good in this recipe, but if you've got a favorite or preferred blend for a BBQ dry rub, it'll probably work, too.

We have also tried doing this same basic idea on long skewers over a hot grill. That works pretty well, though we need to work on timing and methods to keep the pieces of meat on the skewers. I've been mulling over ways I could apply the concept to a whole boneless skinless chicken breast as well, as I think that could turn into a phenomenal main course. I may try pounding the chicken breast out flat, rolling it up with - something! not sure what - inside, then wrapping that in the bacon and dipping it in the sugar/spice mixture before baking.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Gandalara- Thanks for the recipe. It looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You can't do chicken wings well as a pot luck item any more than one could do dinner rolls unless you cook them there which you will not want to do. Chicken wings need to have some crisp and some crunch and then have the sauce fresh on them and not soggy and soaked in. That is the whole point.
Hmm!! didn't know that.

MBW-Thank you. I am open to more options That recipe sounds good.

How about a sharp cheddar cheese rolled inside? It would go well with the bacon.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Maybe a buffalo chicken meat ball would be good. Get chicken sausage and use one of the buffalo recipes on here. Take in crock pot to keep warm. On toothpicks.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Lisa, here's one I've taken to work and they liked it. I marinated it while I was at work and then cooked it all up the night before. Took it to work the next day in a crock pot to warm up. You can use any kind of chicken part ... I think it'd be great with drumettes, just adjust the cooking time.

Red Chile Marinated Chicken

1 1/4 cup Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce, hot or mild
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white vinegar -- or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
A couple of turns on a black pepper grinder
A pinch of dried oregano -- crushed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt
3 pounds chicken -- with bone and skin
(Suggested garnish [but I didn't use] - avocado slices, shredded lettuce or cabbage, cilantro)

Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Add the chili sauce. Add vinegar, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, oregano and garlic. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool.

Sprinkle salt over all the chicken pieces on all sides. Put chicken pieces in a non-reactive bowl or a large freezer bag. Add the marinade; make sure all pieces are coated well with the marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour, preferably overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken pieces with marinade in a roasting pan, skin-side up. Cook for about 45-50 minutes,

Serve garnished with sliced avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage dressed with a little vinegar and oil, and cilantro.
sounds so good. I just bought a bunch of wings yesterday. I will keep this recipe at my finger tips.

Nita

Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 AM

133 posts, read 281,119 times
Default Re: Chicken Wings or Drumettes

I've never tried these with Wings (Ms. Midwestern isn't real fond of the wing - too much work for too little chicken) They are excellent with thighs and/or legs. Since they are baked, you would be able to keep them warm and transport them easily.

Ginger Wings with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Ingredients
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
  • 1 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Ginger Wings:
  • Canola oil spray
  • 3 tablespoons Thai hot sauce
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons grated ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joint, tips removed and discarded
  • Chopped green onions, for garnish
  • Peanut Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Directions
For the dipping sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
For the wings: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a slotted broiler tray inside a broiler pan and spray well with canola spray.
In a large nonreactive bowl, add the hot sauce, soy, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and hoisin. Whisk to combine. Add the chicken wings to the marinade and stir to coat. Let marinate at room temperature, about 20 minutes.
Lay the chicken wings out in 1 layer on the prepared tray and bake, about 15 minutes. Turn the wings over and continue to cook an additional 15 minutes. Place the wings on a serving platter and garnish with the green onions. Serve with the peanut dipping sauce.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
MBW-Thank you. I am open to more options That recipe sounds good.

How about a sharp cheddar cheese rolled inside? It would go well with the bacon.
Hmmm, sharp cheddar could be interesting indeed! You're right that it would be good with the bacon, though I'm not sure how well it would interact with the sweet/spicy coating. I was thinking of possibly dicing up an onion, cooking it to the point of being caramelized, then spreading a layer of that on the chicken before rolling it up. Either that or an onion-based chutney of some kind. Will have to do some experimentation and report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes