Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the replies. If the recipe call for red wine vingegar (which I see a lot), it is ok to substitute it with balsamic vinegar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thank you all for the replies. If the recipe call for red wine vingegar (which I see a lot), it is ok to substitute it with balsamic vinegar?
No. They are very different in flavor.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No. They are very different in flavor.
Balsamic is sweet and rich tasting, with acid. More akin to an orange or tangerine.

Red wine is sharp and cleaner. Think lemon.

You can't switch lemons and oranges in most recipes...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
A splash of balsamic vinegar on strawberry desserts, or just on strawberries (any berries actually) and sugar.

On that note, a splash of balsamic vinegar - good quality one - is delicious in almost every dish.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Thanks. Yes I like balsamic and have never bought red wine vinegar, but I will...

Another question by the way: When the recipes call for 1-tsp of "lemon juice", what are they referring to? I don't think it's the lemon juice we drink in those 16oz bottles? Are they the concentrated ones in small yellow lemon-like bottles sold in supermarket? Or is one supposed to squeeze a fresh lemon?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yes I like balsamic and have never bought red wine vinegar, but I will...

Another question by the way: When the recipes call for 1-tsp of "lemon juice", what are they referring to? I don't think it's the lemon juice we drink in those 16oz bottles? Are they the concentrated ones in small yellow lemon-like bottles sold in supermarket? Or is one supposed to squeeze a fresh lemon?
Most recipe writers would definitely prefer your squeezing a fresh lemon. If that's not possible (I find fresh lemons to be excessively expensive some times of year) I use Minute Maid Premium Lemon Juice. It's sold in the freezer case of most supermarkets, right next to the cans of frozen orange juice. Only it is sold in a cardboard box and NOT a can. It's not lemonade, it's actual lemon juice. There's a plastic bottle inside that box. You thaw it out and then use in any way you'd use fresh lemon juice. I keep a bottle in my fridge all the time. I can't tell any difference in taste from fresh, even in hot or iced tea. In most parts of the country it's definitely cheaper to use than real lemons and quicker, too. The only downside is, there's no lemon peel to grate.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Love vinegar.

Mom's sauerbraten recipe is just brisket, red wine vinegar, onion, and I think bay leaves. Let the baby marinate for a day or two, slow cook the 3rd day, slice when cold and reheat for company the 4th day. Great company meal and not much work if you have one container that you can marinate, refrigerate, and roast in.

Recently my father-in-law added sherry vinegar to some buttered fresh green beans I'd made, and that was surprisingly tasty.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
My Grandmother swears that a tablespoon of vinegar in her pot roast makes it tender.
Personally I dont believe that, but it always tasted good and I still do it.
The acidity of the vinegar breaks down the tough fibers in the meat.
Its an old trick, but it works.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
How to master the use of vinegar in cooking, in which you only use a tiny bit of vinegar, and the dish will not taste sour. Many times when I see the ingredients of what I ate included vinegar, I was surprised, because I could hardly taste it.

In what kind of dishes do you add just a drop or two of vinegar, like zest? Is a rule? Talking about vegetable dishes.
i put apple cider vinegar in:

- sauce for baked dark-meat chicken
- sauce for pulled pork shoulder
- cooked turnip greens, collard greens, or spinach.
- salad dressing

Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Another good use for vinegar is in poaching eggs if you don't have a poacher. Bring about an inch of water to boil in a frying pan, lower to simmer, add a drop of vinegar and break the eggs into the water. The vinegar "binds" the eggs and keeps them from spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes