Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,358,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Ok...resurecting the goulash thread here!

Goulash....and I'm talking about authentic Hungarian Goulash.....
One recipe web-site I came across says that Hungarians NEVER would put peppers or tomato in their goulash, while another web-site from BUDAPEST says that it does have peppers and tomatoes.

does anyone know?
I'm sure they both taste good, but the one I had in a German restaurnat seemed to have a tomato base to it, maybe it was the paprika?
Is there a difference from Hungarian paprika and just the regular paprika we buy in the supermarket?
I admit I am coming to the party late on this one, but I feel the need to add my two cents. MY DH is 100% Hungarian and the one thing I have learned is that geography plays a big part in what is authentic. Keep in mind that the magyar cluture is one of the oldest in Europe. A thousand years at least. Now look at a map of Hungary. There are at least a dozen different regions in Hungary, each more or less isolated from the others by geography. 1000 years ago you used the ingredients that were plentiful in your area.

DH's grandmothers were from two different regions. One made cirske paprikas with a sour cream base, the other with a tomato base. Both are authentic. As to the websites from Budapest, please bear in mind that historically you are talking about two different cities- buda on one side of the river and pes (pronounced pesh) on the other. It is entirely possible that you have found sites on opposing sides of the river, and if their food traditions haven't completely merged each could see their version as the authentic one, and they would both be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,718,904 times
I prefer the German over all others:

Goulash Suppe

Ingredients:

2 lbs. beef (cut in small cubes)
3 tbsp. oil or butter
4 medium onions (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 tbsp. paprika
salt & pepper tp taste
1 tsp. carraway seeds
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 c. water
2 c. beef broth
1/2 c. red wine
4 medium potatoes (cubed)

Directions:

Brown the meat in oil or butter. Add the onions and garlic and fry until the onions are translucent.

Add the paprika, bay leaf, carraway seeds, water, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer for an additional 45 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and red wine. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,952,817 times
Has been a while since I posted my Hungarian Goulash recipe.
Has anyone tried (sure you have) and how did it come out for you? Am curious.

Made a pot last week at a friends (Italian) home and he ruined it by smashing all the ingredients into a mush to be eaten as a soup. Oh well...different strokes for different folks.

Would love to hear any good comments to make my day. (koszonom szepen)

( Hungarian Pista) Steve

Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,921,301 times
Ground beef? Sorry - not goulash.

I've heard it called that, and it's a fine comfort food, but...yikes; I can't figure out how that jump was made in the name - they aren't even close..... American Chop Suey; heard that one too. Where I'm from it was called Johnny Marzetti.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Has been a while since I posted my Hungarian Goulash recipe.
Has anyone tried (sure you have) and how did it come out for you? Am curious.

Made a pot last week at a friends (Italian) home and he ruined it by smashing all the ingredients into a mush to be eaten as a soup. Oh well...different strokes for different folks.

Would love to hear any good comments to make my day. (koszonom szepen)

( Hungarian Pista) Steve

Hi Steve!! Remember me?? Yes.. I did make your goulash recipe...I even bought some good noodles at the German store. It was delicious!! I have saved your recipe also of the stuffed cabbage...exactly like my Dad used to make it. Last time my Mom made it, it burned on the bottom of the pot...she has a glass top electric stove. Do you bake it in the oven or do stovetop? How do you keep the bottom from burning as you can't stir it? The burnt taste was in the whole pot. Such a shame!!
I hope you are doing better these days since the passing of your daughter.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Thank You... Thank YOU... Thank YOU. Sure I remember you...never forget a person who is good looking. As for the Goulash ...boneless chicken works real good or the cut up beef stew meat.

Sorry about the cabbage rolls.

After removing the leaves from the core if still in the cabbage you will still have some left over small pieces of cabbage that is placed on the botom of the pot. This will keep the rolls from burning. There are two ways of removing the core...cut out before placing in the boiling water or just leave inside and cut the leaves away as they are cooking. Towards the core at times the leaves are too small to make a roll so it is used at the bottom of the pot. Gosh...wish you had said something sooner for a remedy to the problem. Probably my fault for not putting in more detail. On reading some recipes find the ingredients listed but not all the fine details are included in the recipe...thus the goofs.

Remember to cover the cabbage rolls with water to the top...bring to a boil and reduce heat to allow the pot to simmer slowly while cooking. You can add some saurkraut on top or a can of whole tomatos...either one is okay. (NO STIRRING IS NEEDED)

Don't feel bad as I have goofed a lot trying to recreate my mothers cooking. We all learn.

Did you see the recipe on my "Apple Ring Cinnamon Pancakes"?

Just in Case;

1-2 Apples
Pancake mix prepared as per instructions
Cinnamon 1/2-1 tsp

Slice apple 1/8 in thick (cut out core)
Dip slice into batter and then into skillet (or on grill)
Spoon on any extra batter if desired
3 slices make one serving

Top off with syrup and serve.
Sprinkle powder sugar if desired for color

I am just weird with possible ideas...looks of the dish

Please let me know on the cabbage rolls... Steve

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Hi Steve...Oh NO.....not your fault on the cabbage rolls....my Mom has watched my Dad make them plenty of times....We do use the sauerkraut too between each layer of rolls..a lot of recipes don't call for it, and Yes...we do add the chopped cabbage too or broken pieces. I see a big difference in your instructions....we don't add water!! Only tomato sauce. That could be the problem. I also think the electric glass top stove isn't ideal either. I will give it a try myself soon, but think I will make them in a big caserole dish in the oven...or maybe even in the crock pot! Even though the cabbage rolls did not actually burn...the very bottom layer of cabbage slightly burned but gave the whole pot a burnt taste. My Dad sometimes just froze the head of cabbage and then thawed it out...when thawed it became limp enough to work with and cooked plenty when made into the rolls. Also less likely to tear and no waiting to cool!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM

557 posts, read 2,613,151 times
Looks like this thread was revived so I'll a comment, too. There are many recipes of goulash--the American type made with ground beef and macaroni, the more traditional Hungarian type made with cubed beef and paprika, plus a whole lot of variations to include even sauerkraut and sourcream. My favorite is the one my inlaws (from Vienna) used to cook: cubed beef browned in a pressure cooker along with chopped onions, a healthy spoonful of paprika, little salt, and then add a can of tomato soup along with small, peeled potatoes...but then they cooked almost everything in a pressure cooker.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 PM

I LOVE PA...glad things will work out (hope). My mother always cooked the cabbage rolls on top of the stove as the flame kept the water simmering slightly during the cooking process and she could remove the lid to ADD a cup of water just in case it was needed. The advantage of the can of tomato paste on top is that it would thin with the water and slowly trickle down thru the rolls. Never allow to run dry on top. Some steam will rise during the cooking process so the lid needs to stay on.

Couple of time mother did add a small ham hock to the bottom of the pot for a different taste. For me it was a little salty for my taste buds. She would do the ham hock...sauerkraut...or tomato paste route at different times. She made the rolls 1/2 & 1/2 ground beef and rice. My one daughter in law (polish) makes it 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 rice and I need a knife to cut them while I prefer the 1/2 & 1/2 way easier to cut with a fork. Still tastes good tho so I don't complain.

The American term for Goulash is the ground beef cooked in a pot and mixed with some kind of noodles. Which is okay with me and a lot of other people. Long as it tastes good. If cooking this way...add one green bell pepper cut up into small pieces for added flavor. I have done this in the past while sprinkling a variety of spices in the meat while stirring. Cobination of different spices gives a different taste to the palate.

Did you see my recipe for the "Apple slice cinnamon pancakes"?

Have one apple left in the fridge and am going to make some tomorrow morning.

Steve

Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM

OK...I will give it a try myself...it will be my first time. The only reason why I never make it is because no one in my immediately family eats them, but I will make it and invite my brother and his family...they will eat them. I will use the tomato paste on top of the water... We also add pork to our beef, not sure of the ratio, but like you said...I'll add more rice than usual.

Apple cinnamon pancakes...hmm....might just make them right now! It is snowing..and unexpected snow storm, and I only have two eggs in the house for breakfast. Pancakes would solve that problem!
I also want to try andd make banana walnut pancakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes