Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,282 times

Advertisements

My son wanted some recipes and I had to actually go on All recipes to find similar recipes to get approx. measures. Outside of baking I seldom use recipes. I do follow a new recipe exactly the first time, but then I just wing it after that depending on what I have on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
One that I've posted before, the only true measurement are the 10 eggs

"Clean Out The Refrigerator" Dish ...
10 eggs
whatever meat is in the fridge
whatever vegetable is in the fridge
whatever cheese is in the fridge
whatever spices sound good with the above
Sometimes a few blobs of salsa or shakes of tabasco sauce

Mix it all together, pour into a greased rectangle casserole dish (about 8 x 12), sprinkle with spices (I like red pepper flakes with almost everything), and bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Cut into 6 pieces, wrap and freeze for lunch at work.

Basically a crustless quiche - and extremely low carb.

Endless combinations - my only "Ick" failure was leftover pepperoni slices - red grease all over and through-out

Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
My son wanted some recipes and I had to actually go on All recipes to find similar recipes to get approx. measures. Outside of baking I seldom use recipes. I do follow a new recipe exactly the first time, but then I just wing it after that depending on what I have on hand.
Yes, there's a banana bread recipe from my old Grange cookbook that gets followed to the letter, and one for biscuits.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
One that I've posted before, the only true measurement are the 10 eggs

"Clean Out The Refrigerator" Dish ...
10 eggs
whatever meat is in the fridge
whatever vegetable is in the fridge
whatever cheese is in the fridge
whatever spices sound good with the above
Sometimes a few blobs of salsa or shakes of tabasco sauce

Mix it all together, pour into a greased rectangle casserole dish (about 8 x 12), sprinkle with spices (I like red pepper flakes with almost everything), and bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Cut into 6 pieces, wrap and freeze for lunch at work.

Basically a crustless quiche - and extremely low carb.

Endless combinations - my only "Ick" failure was leftover pepperoni slices - red grease all over and through-out
This sounds great; basically a Mulligan's Stew, only casserole.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Outside of baking I seldom use recipes. I do follow a new recipe exactly the first time, but then I just wing it after that depending on what I have on hand.
The reason recipes for baking need to be followed more closely than, say, the recipe for a casserole, is that baking involves a lot of chemistry to achieve its results. It may be simple chemistry, but it is chemistry nevertheless. Unless you know what you are doing you can create a disaster just by leaving out a single minor ingredient, or by getting the proportions wrong. With most baking you need to measure pretty carefully to get the result you want, whereas with a casserole you can alter the ingredients and proportions with far less risk.

For example, many bread recipes call for a pinch of salt (or more), and it's not primarily there for the taste, although it definitely affects the taste. It's usually there to slow down the action of the yeast, because the speed at which the expanding CO2 bubbles stretch the gluten affects the finished texture. So a little thing like the difference between two different cooks' pinches can give them very different results.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM

36 posts, read 64,163 times
I make a briscut that everyone seems to love. I got asked for the recipe so many times I made a vidio of me doing it.
It is one where I can't tell you but I can show you.

Even then people say it doesn't turn out like mine when they make it.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
A couple more "pinch/dash" recipes:

Tahini salad dressing:

Tahini paste (it's sort of like fresh, finely ground peanutbutter; the oil and paste separate and you have to mix it well before using). Since it's pointless to try and measure this exactly, just get a normal cutlery tablespoon and dip it in the jar, and smear it into a bowl with your finger. Then repeat. Do two of these spoonsful for each "main dish" serving, just one if it's a side salad.

A clove of garlic, freshly minced, for every 2 dollops of paste.
A small wedge of lemon (I use a lot of lemon and lime in my recipes), squeezed into the bowl.
Water to whatever consistency you prefer; I like mine a little thinner than pancake batter. Add water a tablespoon at a time.

When you mix the water with the paste, it will get *thicker* and not thinner. Add more water to thin it, from that point, just a little at a time until it's the consistency you like. If it's too thin, just add a little more paste. If it's not tangy enough, add a few more drops of lemon juice. If it's not spicy enough, add a pinch more of fresh minced garlic. Just keep going til it's how you like it. Toss in a salad of romaine lettuce and baby spinach, feta cheese, roasted sunflower seeds, halved cherry tomatoes, and garnish with a few garlic-seasoned pita chips. Add unseasoned, warm grilled chicken in chunks or strips to turn it into a full course.

Shrimp Scampi:
Around 2 full seconds worth of poured olive oil, and around 1/3 of a stick of butter.
Slice a shallot wafer-thin, sautee it in the oil/butter mix in a big cookpan.
When the shallots are see-through, add 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped, but not finely minced.
After a minute or so:

Add a couple shakes of hot red pepper flakes.
Add a pound of large or extra-large deveined raw shrimp - I lay each one out so they all get their "turn" to cook evenly.
Turn the shrimp over to get the other side pink, and squeeze half a lemon over it.
Add another shake of hot red pepper flakes.
Add a small splash of sherry (you -can- use cooking sherry if you don't keep a bottle of the real stuff in the house).
Take off the heat, add a palmful of dried parsley flakes, stir briskly and pour over a pound of cooked/drained angel hair pasta.
Mix it all up again in the pasta bowl so that all the pasta gets coated with the oil mixture.

Makes 4 servings; sprinkle fresh grated parmesan cheese over each person's serving to taste.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nope, that didn't work, because WS no longer carries them.

Here's a similar set of 5 measuring spoons, though, including tad, dash, pinch, smidgen and a drop.

Amazon.com: Norpro 3080 Mini Measuring Spoons, 5 Piece Set: Kitchen & Dining
I have those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes