Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yep. That’s how I get almond butter. Grinding it, and eating it soon after will give you the best flavor.
That must be very expensive. I think I could probably buy a couple of nice steaks for the cost of buying enough almonds to grind just for a few tablespoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That must be very expensive. I think I could probably buy a couple of nice steaks for the cost of buying enough almonds to grind just for a few tablespoons.
To be clear, I grind almonds at the store. Almond butter obtained that way is about the same price as regular almond butter, and has better flavor.

You most certainly can grind your own peanut butter at grocers who have the grinders, which are common now in my neck of the woods. Peanut butter is much less expensive than fresh ground almond butter. And flavor would be better, unless one likes sweetened peanut butter.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
The Natural Grocers by my house used to have a grinder, but they don't anymore.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,263,640 times
Default Making peanut butter

I am thinking to make my own peanut butter with a food processor. But I don't want to use oil, so I am wondering if I could lighten it up a bit with water or bouillon. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I was thinking to use honey roasted peanuts and also regular peanuts, mixing them together for starters.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,611,202 times
Use a bit of molasses and honey. Water will separate from the oil from the peanuts themselves. the molasses gives a nice depth of flavor but it can overwhelm, so that's why the honey, to moderate the flavor, and it helps to homogenize the spread.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Use a bit of molasses and honey. Water will separate from the oil from the peanuts themselves. the molasses gives a nice depth of flavor but it can overwhelm, so that's why the honey, to moderate the flavor, and it helps to homogenize the spread.
OK, but I was hoping to keep the calorie count lower. So, because I intend to use honey roasted peanuts, I probably won't use anything to begin with. Thanks for your thoughts about water separating the oil from the peanuts. :-) OK. Do you know what that would be like if the water separates the oil from the peanuts?

Old 06-20-2020, 10:17 AM

14,340 posts, read 11,733,236 times
You don't need to add anything. Natural peanut butter doesn't have added oil--the oil comes out of the peanuts themselves when they are ground. I'd just put the peanuts in the processor and grind them for a good long time so they get as smooth and broken down as possible.

I think the comment about water separating meant that it won't work to mix water into peanut butter. Oil and water don't mix, so the water will just separate out and not remain in the peanut butter.

You can pour off some of the oil that collects on top of peanut butter to reduce calories, but it will make the remainder harder and drier. That's why people usually stir it back in.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
You can also visit your store’s bulk food aisle, and grind your own right into a plastic container. The container and lid are provided. Best all natural nut butter you can buy.

I do this for almond butter.

Once you get used to all natural, you won’t want sweet peanut butter. It will be perfect with a light schmear of jam or honey.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You can also visit your store’s bulk food aisle, and grind your own right into a plastic container. The container and lid are provided. Best all natural nut butter you can buy.

I do this for almond butter.

Once you get used to all natural, you won’t want sweet peanut butter. It will be perfect with a light schmear of jam or honey.
I forgot about the store grinders. Why didn't I think of that? :-) Now with the Covid19 problem though I'll have to check the store that has it. But I already ordered the peanuts. I recently bought the "natural" nothing added but salt peanut butter but honestly didn't like the flavor too much. Actually, it had no flavor. And I don't like the additives in the more popular peanut butters, so still experimenting. Oops, getting me hungry again.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I have some sugar free syrup, I'll look at the ingredients, wonder if that will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes