Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times

Advertisements

A friend gave me a great recipe for pork chops. Use the 'thin cut' pork chops - brown quickly in skillet. Remove the chops and in the same skillet cook a box of Rice-A-Roni Spanish rice according to package directions. Add the chops back to the skillet before covering for the last 20 minutes (make sure the chops are covered by liquid). I usually serve this with baby green peas.

I always seem to overcook pork but this recipe is great! I also like that it uses the less expensive 'thin cut' pork chops. I have tried the thicker cut chops but it is not as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
To those of you who suggest dredging chops in flour, I have a question... when I fry my chops, (even in a non-stick pan), why does the flour come off the chops and stay in the pan when I turn them? I wait until they are well browned, but even then it still sticks in the pan. I use plenty of oil, so it isn't like the pan is dry and sticky. It drives me nuts lol

Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,678 times
My moms recipe never fails, and gives the BEST gravy you've ever had.

Electric skillet: Season them with pepper and I add a touch of garlic salt, brown Any type of chop, this recipe makes any cut tender as butter. After browning both sides, add water. I like to cover the chops, but not if I'm making a ton. You can start with about two cups. Add Kitchen Bouquet. That's what gives the chops a excellent flavor, browns them and makes the gravy to die for. I don't know the exact measure, I go by how dark I want them.

Cover and cook for 1-2 hours on med. I turn it down if it starts to boil, but want it hot enough to get a good steaming going on. You want most of the fluid to cook off. If there's to much, pour out some leaving enough for the gravy. This never makes dry chops, no matter how long you cook them.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
To those of you who suggest dredging chops in flour, I have a question... when I fry my chops, (even in a non-stick pan), why does the flour come off the chops and stay in the pan when I turn them? I wait until they are well browned, but even then it still sticks in the pan. I use plenty of oil, so it isn't like the pan is dry and sticky. It drives me nuts lol
Do you use an egg wash before the flour? Egg makes the flour adhere to the meat.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,652,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Here is my favorite way to make pork chops - my mother did it this way and my husband LOVES pork chops so I fix them a LOT. Add about 2 tablespoons of canola oil to the pan first and let it get hot (my skillet is really old and is not coated with anything - is just stainless steel). I dredge the chops in flour and place them in my electric skillet set to about 360 degrees then salt and pepper lightly. Let them brown a bit on one side and then turn on the other side and let that side brown as well. Once they have browned nicely, I add about a half to three quarters of a cup of water to the skillet, turn the temp down to simmer, put the lid on with the vent shut and just let them cook a while. Make sure the temperature is down very low or set on simmer. I have let them cook as long as 30 or 40 minutes while I was boiling potatoes to mash, or just fixing the rest of my dinner. When you are ready to remove them to a plate, they will be so tender and moist you won't even need a knife to cut them with. THEN comes another good part - the pan drippings. If you will add a few tablespoons of flour to the drippings, increase the heat a bit to about 275 or 300 degrees and the the flour cook a few minutes - stir...stir...stir out the lumps and then stir in milk and continue stirring until no lumps remain - let it come to a gentle boil. Once it comes to a boil that is as thick as your gravy will get - it is delicious served over your mashed potatoes and gravy, or biscuits, or rice, or whatever you come up with. I generally buy the thicker cut of boneless chops or butterflies as a personal preference, but this works with bone-in chops too. They are never dried out, and they are just tender and yummy.
This is the way my mother taught me and the chops were wonderful. However, we also love to BBQ. We get 1-1/2" boneless center cut chops, season them, top with a small amount of spray oil, and put them on the BBQ. We use a meat thermometer and once they hit 160, we take them off the grill. They are always tender, moist and tasty. So when I don't feel like cooking, my husband takes over. We have never had a tough or dry chop.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
This is the way my mother taught me and the chops were wonderful. However, we also love to BBQ. We get 1-1/2" boneless center cut chops, season them, top with a small amount of spray oil, and put them on the BBQ. We use a meat thermometer and once they hit 160, we take them off the grill. They are always tender, moist and tasty. So when I don't feel like cooking, my husband takes over. We have never had a tough or dry chop.
beth, the usda, fsis, and nppc, porkboard.com, all say, you can cook pork to 145 internal temp and it is fine,, just saying,,
no need to overcook pork as out mothers and grandmothers did (for fear of trichinosis)

Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,038 times
Quote:
Do you heat your pan before adding the oil? Never put oil in a cold pan--unless you want it to stick
You may be trying to turn the chops too early, as well. The chop will release from the pan when it's ready--you shouldn't have to pry it up. Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Quote:
Now for my take others have great ideas too.

#1~sounds like you aren't letting your oil/shortening get hot enough before putting the pork chops in.

#2~let the chops come to about room temperature before dredging the flour it will stick better.

Good luck in our home pork chops rule!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,652,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
beth, the usda, fsis, and nppc, porkboard.com, all say, you can cook pork to 145 internal temp and it is fine,, just saying,,
no need to overcook pork as out mothers and grandmothers did (for fear of trichinosis)
Thanks, yes I know. We prefer 160 degrees. But as I said, it is still juicy and tender the way we do it. Maybe not so for everyone.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
You can brown meat in the crock when it is still dry and set on "high." Then tenderize/cook in the crockpot until ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes