Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Ground beef, Italian-flavored bread crumbs, applesauce, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, & oregano. (Sorry I can't give measurements - I do it by looks & feel - but the key to them being light is using more bread crumbs & applesauce than you probably think you need.) Roll them up, layer in the crockpot, cover completely (but gently) with sauce. Cook on low approx. 8 hours, until meatballs are 160 degrees in the center.)

I've heard people say you have to use fattier ground beef, (80% or 85% lean) rather than 93% lean, but I haven't found that to be necessary. I prefer the 93% lean, but will use the other if it's on sale. The differences I've found is the fattier ground beef makes your sauce a bit greasier and when you're going to reheat the leftovers, there is more fat to skim off the top of the higher fat meatballs. The meatballs themselves come out great either way.
Do you taste the applesauce in the meatballs? Does it make them sweet?? I might try this but won't tell hubby there's apple sauce in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,237,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Do you taste the applesauce in the meatballs? Does it make them sweet?? I might try this but won't tell hubby there's apple sauce in it.
No, you don't taste the applesauce, just like you wouldn't taste egg if you used that instead. I use any brand of applesauce that's on sale and often even use cinnamon applesauce, because that is what we like to eat plain and I usually have it in the pantry. In meatballs, there's no difference in taste either way.

I use applesauce in meatloaf, too. I started substituting it for eggs years ago when I was trying to cut down on cholesterol and since I like the results, I've continued to use it. Nobody EVER knows there is applesauce in there instead, unless I tell them.

I've also substituted applesauce for eggs in cakes, when I'm serving to anyone with an egg allergy or to vegans. In general, the substitution is 1/3 cup of applesauce for each egg. That's not 100% consistent though, so I recommend trying it in your cake recipe before serving to company, in case you have to tweak it a little.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM

442 posts, read 497,894 times
No exact measurements, but my meatballs have

Garlic, chopped onion, good meat, grated parm cheese, italian seasonings, some red wine, an egg, and some bread crumbs. If I don't have the wine on hand, I use worchestershire.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,454,082 times
Hey, Pikantari -

Found a website for ya. Lotsa different flavors!

15 Meatball Recipes

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 54,063 times
I found this recipe on Allrecipes. They are really good.

Meatballs

2 lbs. ground beef, veal or pork or a mixture of any
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs
1 c. freshly grated Romano cheese (you can use Parmesan if you don't have Romano)
1-1/2Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley (I use 2 Tbsp.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 c. crumbled stale Italian bread
1 c. lukewarm water

Preheat broiler. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine meat(s) in a large bowl with garlic eggs, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Slowly add the water 1/2 c. at a time until the mixture is very moist but holds it's shape once formed into balls. Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes or until nicely browned and almost cooked through. Serves 8.

Note: Can be baked on a rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. To freeze, place meatballs on a cookie sheet and stick in the freezer until frozen.
When frozen, place in sealable bags.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,539,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
For some reason I have been craving some good meatballs. When I make them I just throw in this or that, roll them up and hope for the best!

Please share your recipes!
Hey Pikantari, here is a Meatball Recipe thread from 2008. //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-recipe-2.html

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,229,998 times
Love the meatballs and our recipe is something like this..

say 2 pounds of good ground beef (and often have a roast ground up)
2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced
Small white onion diced very small
2 teaspoons of basil.fresh chopped or dry form.
1 teaspoon of dry mint
And a few cups of hard italian bread that we soak with some water to soften and break into small pieces
2 eggs
s/p

Mix it all until finely blended and make your meatballs. Make ours 1/4 smaller than a baseball..somewhere around there but not small..

Bake in the oven with light evoo at 350 for about 30 - 45 minutes and then add to the gravy for another couple of hours..
Done

Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,539,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Love the meatballs and our recipe is something like this..

say 2 pounds of good ground beef (and often have a roast ground up)
2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced
Small white onion diced very small
2 teaspoons of basil.fresh chopped or dry form.
1 teaspoon of dry mint
And a few cups of hard italian bread that we soak with some water to soften and break into small pieces
2 eggs
s/p

Mix it all until finely blended and make your meatballs. Make ours 1/4 smaller than a baseball..somewhere around there but not small..

Bake in the oven with light evoo at 350 for about 30 - 45 minutes and then add to the gravy for another couple of hours..
Done
I've never used mint, I will put that on my "to try" list.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,279 times
My recipe took over twenty five years to prefect and it is mostly eyeball measurements, I wish I knew how to convert what is instinct into measurements but I have yet to master that, of course if i knew, I would have written a book already.

Before I give mine own, is there a secret so I can give you all accurate measures?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:53 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,781,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

I use applesauce in meatloaf. It changes the texture, not the flavor at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes