Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times

Advertisements

Dense, rich, and guaranteed to elicit multiple chocogasms.

1 lb semisweet chocolate, cut into chunks*
1/2 lb unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-in pieces
1/2 t unsalted butter, room temperature (to prep pan)
1/4 C Kahlua**
8 large eggs
1/4 C sugar
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt

* The quality of the chocolate directly affects the finished product. I have tried this recipe with Hershey's and Baker's chocolates and was extremely disappointed with the result. I highly suggest using Ghirardelli or Scharffen Berger (or other high quality) chocolate for the best results. I have also experimented with a combination of milk and semisweet chocolates.

** I have also substituted strong coffee (increase vanilla to 1 T, add 2 T more sugar), amaretto, Frangelico, or peppermint or orange extracts (using about 1 t and increase sugar by 1-2 t).

1. Preheat oven to 325 F.

2. Prep springform pan: Butter bottom and sides of 9-in springform with 1/2 T softened butter (note: using an 8-inch pan will increase the baking time). Trace and cut a piece of parchment (not waxed) paper and place in bottom of pan. Using heavy-duty aluminum foil, completely wrap around the outside (bottom and up the sides) of the pan to the top. Place in the center of a deep roasting pan. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil, then simmer.

3. Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until frothy and almost doubled in volume, about 5 to 10 minutes.

4. While eggs are processing, combine chocolate and Kahlua (or other flavoring) in a microwave-safe bowl. Process chocolate at 50 percent power for 2 minutes, at 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stir, add butter, and continue heating at 50 percent power, stirring every minute, until chocolate and butter have melted and are smooth, another 2 to 3 minutes total.

5. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into melted chocolate using a rubber spatula until no streaks of egg remain. Repeat this process two more times.

6. Place roasting pan on oven rack, then pour batter into the springform. While shielding the batter from splashes, pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides. Bake until cake has risen slightly and edges are just beginning to set, about 40 to 45 minutes (there should be just the slightest wiggle in the middle of the cake--baking time can vary from 35 - 55 min).

7. Remove cake from roasting pan and cool on wire rack to room temperature. Remove foil, cover, and refrigerate overnight to mellow the flavors.

8. Remove cake from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. Remove springform pan sides, invert cake onto a large plate, and peel away parchment paper from bottom. Reinvert cake on another large plate or platter and garnish as desired (powdered sugar or cocoa powder) immediately before serving. To serve, dip knife in very hot water, then dry, before making each cut.

This cake pairs very well with fresh berries, whipped cream, or custard to counteract the intensity.

Will serve at least 12 people.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 12-04-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM

18 posts, read 31,903 times
Sounds interesting! I have made a flourless cake before and I believe an ingredient was diet coke haha. But what makes the consistency of the cake fluffy?! I'll have to make this I am very curious

Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGreen View Post
Sounds interesting! I have made a flourless cake before and I believe an ingredient was diet coke haha. But what makes the consistency of the cake fluffy?! I'll have to make this I am very curious
This cake is not fluffy...it is a cross between a brownie and a truffle.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Default flourless chocolate cake?

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for flourless chocolate cake that they'd be willing to share?

I am in charge of making one for Christmas and I am gluten free.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2014, 01:13 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Gina's Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Food Network never made one but this recipe looked good.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Jezer provided one, here in the recipe forum...

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
I believe this one is originally from Gourmet magazine:

Flourless Chocolate Cake
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 375°F Line bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan with a round of parchment paper and butter paper.
Melt chocolate with butter in a bowl in the microwave. Cook and stir every 30 seconds on until chocolate is melted and smooth. Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Add cocoa powder to chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 35-40 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate

Only things I'd add are a pinch of salt and maybe a little vanilla extract or Kahlua. Serving with barely sweetened whipped cream and a raspberry coulis isn't a bad thing.

I've made it a number of times and had nothing but positive reviews and empty plates.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:33 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Default Fourless Chocolate Cake

This is an AMAZING, FLOURLESS, DENSE, RICH CAKE!!!! If you have ever cruised with Princess Cruise Lines and enjoyed their "Love Boat cake" this is as close to it as you can get. I love to add both fresh raspberries and orange extract and orange zest to the recipe (not together of course!) to make it choc/rasp and choc/orange in taste. Experiment with what YOU like to add to chocolate cake and you will find this a WINNER!!!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs

for the ganache
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Again, you at this point (ganache) can add orange extract and zest, or fresh raspberries on top of each piece of cake to mix the taste with fruit.

Instructions
1.Spray an 8 inch round cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.

2.for the cake-in a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips and butter for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until chips are completely melted and chocolate is smooth. If necessary microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Using a wire whisk, stir in sugar and eggs, making sure to blend completely.

3.Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. You should have a crust on the top, like a brownie. Let cake cool in pan for 20-30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen edge, then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

4.For ganache-place chips in a small heat proof bowl. In another small bowl, microwave cream for 30 seconds on high, until almost boiling. Pour heated cream over chips and let rest for a minute before stirring. Continue to stir until chips are completely melted and chocolate is smooth.

5.Drizzle ganache over entire cake or each slice as you serve.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Your recipe uses 4 large eggs. I'm afraid you cannot declare it fourless chocolate cake.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Hey, Paka's been so busy posting all sorts of wonderful recipes - Paka's allowed a typo or 2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes