Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

I've been making spanish tortillas lately. I have used bacon and sausage, but it looks like you can put about anything you have on hand in it.

http://gnowfglins.com/2011/04/11/fre...anish-omelete/

I do it all in a cast iron skillet....brown the potatoes, onions, peppers, then add the meat and pour about a dozen eggs whipped over it. Cook a few minutes, then slide it into the oven for about 20 minutes. The last few minutes I'll sprinkle some cheese on top to melt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
I have this recipe for Pierogi Casserole that uses potatoes and you layer it like a lasagna

Box of lasagna noodles
Mashed potatoes (I use instant ones to save time but you can do real)
Cheese shredded cheddar
Sauerkraut, drained
cottage cheese
onions and butter-sauteed together in fry pan

I make this up for whatever size gathering I am going to and use as much or as little as you want.. and if you don't like sauerkraut, you can leave that out

Cook the noodles and drain....place a layer in a greased baking pan.Add the mashed potatoes, half the onion and melted butter, cottage cheese and cheese in a large bowl.Layer that on the noodles and then a layer of sauerkraut..Place another layer of noodles and make another potato layer and sauerkraut on top...top with the last layer of noodles and the rest of the onions and melted butter..

Bake+ at 350# for 45 minutes... cover with foil....you can't really mess it up and you can leave out the sauerkraut or onions but make sure the butter is on the top layer or it will be dry...I love mine with sour cream....

Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
If you've ever been to Cracker Barrel you probably know their hashbrown casserole is delicious. I just found this recipe and it's similar to the other recipe I posted, but decided to share. Enjoy.

Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole

Ingredients

32 oz frozen shredded hash browns
1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
1 (10 1/4 ounce) can of cream of chicken soup
1 pint of sour cream
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
2 cups grated colby jack cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients together.
Place in a greased 9x13 glass casserole dish.
Bake for 45 Minutes.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
Excellent grouping of ingriedents , Im lookng forward to trying that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't think you will be disappointed. Whenever I take it anywhere it disappears. I just noticed I forgot to put its name: Cheesy Potato Casserole. It's really good. I could eat it every day, but it's a bit rich.

You can also make it using frozen hash browns if you don't want to mess with raw potatoes.
I made one of the "funeral potatoes" recipes (linked to in earlier post) for our church's Thanksgiving dinner, and it was almost exactly like this, only it called for frozen potatoes O'Brien, and also added a little cream cheese. It was delicious! (and easy, easy) So I can verify that this works well with frozen hash browns....only I used the chunky ones instead of the shredded style....I've had the ones with the shredded hash browns at church suppers and I like the chunks better. Either way, though, it's good!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've been making spanish tortillas lately. I have used bacon and sausage, but it looks like you can put about anything you have on hand in it.

Free Video: Tortilla (Spanish Omelet)

I do it all in a cast iron skillet....brown the potatoes, onions, peppers, then add the meat and pour about a dozen eggs whipped over it. Cook a few minutes, then slide it into the oven for about 20 minutes. The last few minutes I'll sprinkle some cheese on top to melt.
Oh yeah, eggs and potatoes and cheese are always a good combination! I've been making a version of this for years, but your way sounds much easier than my recipe. Also, the browning of the potatoes, onions, and peppers probably makes for more flavor...my recipe doesn't call for that. Thanks for posting this!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I made one of the "funeral potatoes" recipes (linked to in earlier post) for our church's Thanksgiving dinner, and it was almost exactly like this, only it called for frozen potatoes O'Brien, and also added a little cream cheese. It was delicious! (and easy, easy) So I can verify that this works well with frozen hash browns....only I used the chunky ones instead of the shredded style....I've had the ones with the shredded hash browns at church suppers and I like the chunks better. Either way, though, it's good!
Definitely DON'T call them "funeral potatoes." Unless you're adding rat poison.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
About the Crash Hot Potatoes...PW boils them first, but I get just as good results from baking them first. Since we're dirtying the baking sheet anyway, why dirt a pot?

Old 12-03-2014, 04:40 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Definitely DON'T call them "funeral potatoes." Unless you're adding rat poison.
That's what they're known as here in Utah. In fact, when Salt Lake hosted the winter Olympics in 2002, we had a funeral potatoes Olympic pin.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Yes...Sorry if it sounded confusing.. I have even used instant potatoes if I was in a hurry...so yes..just make them like normal mashed potatoes with milk and butter...The olives are the best part..I am surprised I forgot them first time around!!!! I am another one who hardly measures anything except for baking..I use the condiments to taste!!!
Try olives stuffed with jalapeños. Just a tiny kick. Always add them to my potato salad.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I made some buttery dill red potatoes last night.

Quarter several small red potatoes. (I average 2 potato per person) Boil in water till fork tender but not mush. About 15 minutes for me.

Drain potatoes and leave in strainer. Take same pan and melt butter (i use 1/8 cup of butter and a bit of olive oil for 6 potatoes) and leave it over high heat. Add potatoes back in. Salt, pepper to taste. Stir around in hot butter till all are coated. I also let some get crisp before stirring. Then just before serving, stir in dill. About a tbsp.
I just made these tonight; they were great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes