Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 12:27 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have this cookbook from 1979? I have searched high and low for my copy for quite a few years because I want to make his baked chicken and rice. Whoever has my copy is in big trouble but no one is fessing up.

The recipe does not use soup, but I remember sautéed onions and putting the rice on the bottom of the casserole dish and the chicken on top but it is not a casserole~~it is just baked.

If you make something similar, can you share? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
My friend's mother used to make something like that in the 1980s. I wonder if it's the same thing.

*** Oh my god! I just looked in my stack of recipes and I STILL HAVE IT! Hahaha! ***

This is what she did. Again, I don't know if it's the same thing. If it's not, the good news is that you can replace your book:
http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Tell-tell...asin=916838277

Ingredients
- 8 chicken breasts (it's better WITH skin)
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tin fried onion rings (Durkee)
- 16 oz. bag frozen veggies (but I just made it with fresh green beans, broccoli, and mushrooms)

What to do
- Grease casserole dish
- Put rice and half the onion rings in dish and pour the broth over it
- Put chicken pieces on top of rice mixture and pour the salad dressing on top of the chicken
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
- Remove chicken pieces, put veggies in the dish, and then put the chicken back
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes more (if you use skinless chicken, keep it covered)
- Sprinkle remainder of onion rings on top of chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- If chicken is not brown enough, put on broil for a minute or two

Old 01-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks, Dawn, but that's not it. I seem to remember sautéing the rice and the onions. Anyway, I ordered a copy from Amazon so I will probably find my old cookbook this week.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Thanks, Dawn, but that's not it. I seem to remember sautéing the rice and the onions. Anyway, I ordered a copy from Amazon so I will probably find my old cookbook this week.
Of course you will!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I googled your recipe and found this, an old post of yours!

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ever-cook.html

Snipped:
SXMGirl

This recipe is from Chef Tel's cookbook from the 1970s. I haven't made it in years, but I remember it being very good. If you prepare it, please let me know if it is still as good as I remember it.

1 whole chicken breast, or whatever makes 6 ounces
1 cup chicken stock or a good broth
2 tablespoons chopped onion
flour for dredging
1-2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup rice
4 mushrooms, cut into halves
salt, pepper
2 tablespoons butter

Skin and bone the chicken breast(s). Salt and pepper them and dredge them in flour.

Saute the chicken in the hot oil for a minute or two on each side. Heat the 2 tablespoons of butter in a separate frying pan. Add the onion and cook until transparent. Add the rice and the mushrooms, and stir until all the grains of rice are coated by the butter. Add the stock and then the chicken breast.

Cover the pan with a lid and put in a 375 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.*

This serves one, so you will need to make adjustments.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks, Momtothree! Still not sure if that is the one, even though I posted it and I wonder where that cookbook is now! Anyway, I ordered a copy from Amazon, so I will know soon if that is the one. It sure sounds like it. No idea why I didn't look at old posts! Losing my mind!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Wow, wayback machine. Haven't heard Chef Tel's name come up in over 20+years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes