Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Good Lord! Chili, chili and beans, spaghetti sauce... I'll post a recipe for a batch of chili I made the other night. I always make beans to go with it..but separately. I never make chili the same twice as I follow no recipe. This is a pretty standard list ( I wrote the recipe down just for this thread) and recipe of the last batch I made.
Ingredients
Chili powder ~ 4 TBSP'S
Cumin ~ (comino) 2 Tsp's
Garlic ~ 1/2 a large head or 6-7 med cloves
onion ~ 1 medium or more
Jalapeno ~ one medium or large (or 1/2 a large poblano)
Tomato sauce ~ 1/4 cup (I quit using tomato sauce in chili way back but it's ok and helps cut the heat for the kids.)
Beef Bouillon cubes ~ (Knorr's or other good brand.) 2 cubes

Ground beef (preferably lean) 1-1/2 to 2 LB's
Oil ~ (veg./ canola/ olive) no le hace approx. 2 TBSP'S
Flour 2 TBSP'S

Add 2 TBSP'S oil to a 5 or 6 Quart pot. Saute diced onions and peppers. Then add minced garlic and and ground beef. Stir until all meat is browned then add the flour and stir then add chili powder and cumin. Pour in about 4 cups water. Water is a variable as I did not measure. Add the tomato sauce and 2 bouillon cubes. Cook until reduced to taste or add water if necessary.

This is Texas style Chili as we know it. Not compatible with spaghetti sauce. Topping for enchiladas,.. yes! Enjoy!

Beans are another subject. Must have a decent ham bone with some meat or salt pork and we use an excellent local pinto bean spice. I recommend all Fiesta spices if you want a taste of Texas experience.

https://www.fiestaspices.com/authent...bean-seasoning

Last edited by SATX56; 02-06-2015 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Added amount of ground beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Good Lord! Chili, chili and beans, spaghetti sauce...
Spaghetti sauce? Where do you read that?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Spaghetti sauce? Where do you read that?
Got that from your post.... Should have said chili over spaghetti? I was pointing out the seemingly endless uses and additives to straight chili as I know it.

Quote:
The proper way to serve this chili is over cooked spaghetti on an oval dish.
I'd never heard of chili on spaghetti. Though I could see it over Fideo or other pastas.

Last edited by SATX56; 02-06-2015 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: changed different to endless

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, this is a cheater, too, but it won 3rd place in a chili cook off. It's what chili tastes like to us. Not too hot, not too bland. Not too thin, not too thick. Super easy.

2 # ground beef
2 pkgs McCormick Original Chili mix (Disregard the package instructions)
2 cans kidney beans (undrained)
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15oz diced tomatoes

Brown ground beef (really sear it until all the moisture cooks out and makes nice brown gunk in the pan), add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Actually, this one looks like a spaghetti sauce. With beans included.... Lots of tomato in that recipe.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Got that from your post.... Should have said chili over spaghetti? I was pointing out the seemingly different uses and additives to straight chili as I know it.

I'd never heard of chili on spaghetti. Though I could see it over Fideo or other pastas.
It's pretty specific to Cincinnati. Two famous local chains of chili parlor are known for it, though you can buy premixed seasoning even at Kroger's in that area. I like Cincinnati chili a lot, but it's definitely not your typical chili.

Though the presentation might be reminiscent of Italian-American spaghetti with meat sauce, the taste is not like that at all. The spices in the sauce (namely the cinnamon, cloves, and cocoa) change the character completely, as do the toppings. The seasoning has more in common with a mole sauce, IMO, than anything Italian-ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

Old 02-06-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's pretty specific to Cincinnati. Two famous local chains of chili parlor are known for it, though you can buy premixed seasoning even at Kroger's in that area. I like Cincinnati chili a lot, but it's definitely not your typical chili.

Though the presentation might be reminiscent of Italian-American spaghetti with meat sauce, the taste is not like that at all. The spices in the sauce (namely the cinnamon, cloves, and cocoa) change the character completely, as do the toppings. The seasoning has more in common with a mole sauce, IMO, than anything Italian-ish.

Cincinnati chili - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for that info! It really does show just how different things are around just this country. Let's face it, there isn't much better stuff to experiment with than ground beef or cubed beef for that matter.

Cloves I've yet to use or experiment with. Cocoa makes me think of mole sauce which I've not tried yet. Just realized you mentioned mole sauce. Someone mentioned coriander, maybe Dirt Grinder, I've got a bunch and have yet to use any.

I see many mix beans with chili and call it chili. We just make them separate and let everyone mix them as they like then combine the leftovers to save space. To each their own of course. I'm sort of an old dog and well you know...

Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Got that from your post.... Should have said chili over spaghetti? I was pointing out the seemingly endless uses and additives to straight chili as I know it.

Chili over spaghetti is very popular where I live. My neighbor does this too. It's a another way to stretch your food budget. But then again Long island is not known for it's Chili.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Really, when you get down to it, it's basically chili mac with different pasta.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Sometimes when I get down to the end of leftover chili, I'll stretch it by eating it over rice, and it essentially becomes spicy beans and rice.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Actually we make a concoction similar to chili with Ranch style beans (beans in a chili powder type sauce). We add a bit of worcestershire and a little mustard and ketchup or tomato sauce. It's pretty good. It's stand alone though we don't put it over anything normally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes