Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm making my boyfriend beef tostadas this upcoming weekend. The recipe calls for boiling a 2 lb beef brisket and then shredding it by hand, from there.

But, my local Big Y supermarket has thinly sliced pre-shredded beef for sale in the butcher's section, and I'm going to buy it. It's not the size you would see that is prepared, for let's say, pepper steak or beef stew. It's quite thin.

However, I don't know how tender the beef is or will be when I cook it.

Have you purchased pre-shredded beef in the past? If so, how did you prepare it? Was it already tender?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Pre-shredded and still needs to be cooked?
Isn't it cooked already?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Pre-shredded and still needs to be cooked?
Isn't it cooked already?
No.

In the butcher's section, it's raw

Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Shredded beef for Mexican food is made from a tough cut like brisket or chuck that will shred on its own or with two forks if you braise (cook in a small amount of liquid over low heat) it long enough. It's like Mexican pot roast. A lot of people use a crock pot for this. It's really easy, as the meat mostly shreds on its own, just takes more time.

It will not taste the same or have the right texture made per your plan. It might still be good though, you never know!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Shredded beef for Mexican food is made from a tough cut like brisket or chuck that will shred on its own or with two forks if you braise (cook in a small amount of liquid over low heat) it long enough. It's like Mexican pot roast. A lot of people use a crock pot for this. It's really easy, as the meat mostly shreds on its own, just takes more time.

It will not taste the same or have the right texture made per your plan. It might still be good though, you never know!

Thank you! Maybe I'll just get a whole brisket and cook it per the original instructions..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
A little puzzled here. You mean asada meat? Thinly sliced raw beef?

I wouldn't use that for shredded beef but you could make some dandy ---- OK I give up auto correct wins. I can't sit here typing A. S. A. D. A over and over while the computer refuses to accept it-------- grilled thin beef with peppers in a tostado.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Just go buy some carnitas from your local Mexican market.

Shred it up, toast it a little in a hot pan.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think OP is talking about thinly sliced beef for something like braciola or Philly cheese steak. OP could slice these into strips and stir fry them, and it would be fine, but it would not be the same as what she's going for.
Anyway, OP, why pay more for someone to slice the meat for you?
Brisket is very expensive (not sure why), so I would buy a chuck or round roast, throw in into a pot with some liquid and seasoning, according to the recipe you have, or it could be a bottle of beer, a can of broth, wine or water, and put it into a 250-300 degree oven for 3 hours. Take the meat out to cool. Remove excess fat, and bone. Shred with 2 forks and you're done.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
What she said^^^ That beef is thinly sliced/shaved. Not really shredded. It's simple to get that flank or brisket or even some pot roast to shred after a couple of hours of cooking or crockpot. You can do it with 2 forks in a minute or less.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...That beef is thinly sliced/shaved. Not really shredded...
Well, that sounds better. Previously, I left this thread scratching my head regarding "raw, pre-shredded beef." I was trying to picture a process where raw meat was ripped and shredded, and how that process would be easier than simply braising the beef and shredding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes