Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times

Advertisements

I've been making Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for 40 years and seem to make something different every year. I usually save bread in the freezer, starting in October, make a basic dressing with celery, onion, maybe carrots, mushrooms, sausage, apple. Then I get more creative, have used chunked chicken, water chestnuts, walnuts, cornbread, corn, Frito's, (really good! No, really!) oysters, (big mistake,really bad, nobody ate it, never again!) chorizo, (too hot) bacon, ham. The turkey I stuff with the holy trinity and garlic, sage and black pepper. That green bean casserole has been around since 1955. It's pretty gross, somebody always seems to bring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I don't stuff anything, so it's dressing served on the side, here.

And it hasn't been the same since Kellogg's discontinued their stuffing mix.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:33 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I grew up in North Jersey. My grandmother made the stuffing and it was a lot like Sheena's or Maggie's. When I grew up, I started making it from cornbread. I started out sauteeing onion, celery, and red pepper, and binding it together with chicken stock and raw egg. I added the cornbread in chunks, pecans, different kinds of peppers, with poblano/ancho options, as well as cranberries cooked in sugar. I've never put any meat or seafood in it. I think that's because my grandmother cooked the stuffing in the turkey.

I never stuff the bird. But I don't call it dressing. I never heard of dressing until I got older.

The thing I REALLY never heard of was green bean casserole. Was that something new to others from the NYC area?
I grew in NEPA and we didn't eat green bean casserole. I can't recall when I first heard of it, but it was much later.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:34 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I've been making Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for 40 years and seem to make something different every year. I usually save bread in the freezer, starting in October, make a basic dressing with celery, onion, maybe carrots, mushrooms, sausage, apple. Then I get more creative, have used chunked chicken, water chestnuts, walnuts, cornbread, corn, Frito's, (really good! No, really!) oysters, (big mistake,really bad, nobody ate it, never again!) chorizo, (too hot) bacon, ham. The turkey I stuff with the holy trinity and garlic, sage and black pepper. That green bean casserole has been around since 1955. It's pretty gross, somebody always seems to bring it.
I like oyster dressing!

Old 11-21-2016, 01:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Although I am not Portuguese, I live in a community with a large Azorean Portuguese population and over the years have developed a taste for Portuguese food, so my turkey dressing recipe is pretty much similar to the recipe Emeril Lagasse uses which can be found on the web. If you like spicy this is the recipe for you which uses the Portuguese sausage known as Chourico. This sausage can be purchased in a milder version known as Linguica.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We had this recipe in today's paper...I won't be trying it.

Krystal's Secret Stuffing

20 Krystal burgers, remove pickles (can use white castles)
2 1/4 cups diced celery
1 small onion, diced (optional because there are onions on the burgers)
2 1/4 t. Thyme
2 1/4 t. Sage
2 t. Pepper
1 t. Salt
1/3 - 3/4 cup chicken broth

Break up burgers into bowl, add remaining ingredients.
Bake in buttered casserole at 350 for 45 minutes.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

2 1/4 cups diced celery
2 1/4 t. Thyme
2 1/4 t. Sage
2 t. Pepper
1 t. Salt

This sounds like something a soup kitchen would make up to repurpose donated garbage. Not knocking soup kitchens, they do wonders.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmAndEmm View Post
I live in Oklahoma, and our family calls it dressing. It is baked in a pan rather than stuffed into the turkey. It is one of my all-time favorite foods and I look forward to the holidays so I can make and enjoy it.

I am the keeper of my grandma's recipe. It contains yellow cornbread, stale white sandwich bread torn into pieces, celery and onions cooked in butter, chicken or turkey meat, mushrooms, lots of sage, raw eggs, and turkey or chicken stock (and of course, salt and pepper).

When my grandma made it, mushrooms were completely omitted, and she divided it into 2 parts and put canned oysters in half of it. The oyster lovers have all since passed away, so we don't add oysters at all anymore.

Your grandma's recipe is almost exactly what my mother used to make - and when I think of dressing - this is what I like. We never put mushrooms in ours, but other than that yours is spot on. Dad always made his own cornbread (stone ground meal- NOT Jiffy mix!!) which he would spend almost a whole day making - many "pones" of it - cooked to perfection in his iron skillet in the oven....

Also, we never cooked our celery and onions before adding them - they cooked in the stuffing, and sometimes the celery would be a tad crunchy - but it was delicious! LOTS of eggs and LOTS of sage...and plenty of broth to make it really rich.....wow - I miss how great the food was, but more-so the love that was put into every dish.

Enjoy your dressing and thanks for reminding me how delicious homemade stuffing is!!!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Just asked my husband if he had ever heard of spatchcocking(no) and to offer a definition. He asked "Is it legal?" and then guessed it was a new way to reserve a vasectomy. I almost lost it.

BaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

2 1/4 cups diced celery
2 1/4 t. Thyme
2 1/4 t. Sage
2 t. Pepper
1 t. Salt

I read it first as Krusty Burgers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes