Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:34 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just thaw them or you don't even have to do that; stick them in boiling water to completely heat and fix them whatever way you want. We love crab salad in the summer and just heated crab legs in the winter with butter and lemon juice. They don't have a lot of meat so remember per serving, they can be prett pricy. I usually get them at Sam's. good crab is the best thing there is in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not a fan of boiling them. The water gets into the legs and water logs the crab meat. Steam them for better results, imho.
yes to both of the above. Crab is one of the foods I will sit and eat until they quit bringing more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 01:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I heated the ones I ordered from Alaska in the oven. We had those and a tri-tip roast for a Mother's Day dinner. YUM!

I'm going to Sam's next week to get our Prime Rib. I think I will get some crab legs, too.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Ooh la la! We had them last year for Christmas. I played off a recipe from Ina Garten. Made a light cream sauce with a little white wine and tarragon in it then stirred in the sliced legs, lightly cooked jumbo shrimp, bay scallops and pieces from a couple of lobster tails. Put parsleyed buttered crumbs on top and heated it all in a shallow dish under the broiler until brown and bubbly. Served with slices of room temperature lemon.

I call that holiday overkill. No one complained.

In the summer I like to serve them chilled in bite-sized chunks on a bed of leafy greens with cold, poached asparagus slices, bleu cheese and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. Lemony vinaigrette.
Wow, that cream sauce dish sounds delicious! I'd add a bit of garlic into the sauce and grated cheddar into the crumbs (gotta have my garlic and cheese!)
What did you serve with this? I usually serve noodles with Alfredo sauce when I do my seafood.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Wow, that cream sauce dish sounds delicious! I'd add a bit of garlic into the sauce and grated cheddar into the crumbs (gotta have my garlic and cheese!)
What did you serve with this? I usually serve noodles with Alfredo sauce when I do my seafood.
Oh mercy, a fellow overkill artist!

I served it with those flat, wide, curly noodles (can't remember what you call them) tossed with a pinch of butter, cracked black pepper, salt and poppy seeds. Parker House rolls. I'm sure I had a salad but can't remember what it was. Probably something green with fruit and veggies in it.

Dessert was our traditional Norwegian Christmas cookies and mint chocolate frozen custard.

Thanks for the compliment!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Dungeness is good. I suppose it's whatever you grew up with.
Yep, I'm a blue crab guy.

When I moved out to the west coast I became a dungeness guy, but to me there is nothing like a bushel of steamed blue crabs spiced with Old Bay served with butter/malt vinegar and cheap beer in cans.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
I steam them only...cooking twice is not so nice!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep, I'm a blue crab guy.

When I moved out to the west coast I became a dungeness guy, but to me there is nothing like a bushel of steamed blue crabs spiced with Old Bay served with butter/malt vinegar and cheap beer in cans.
'the blue crabs,,you eat it all??

shell, guts, eyeballs everything??

Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Blue crabs for me, too. I grew up catching them off our dock in the summertime.

You've got to take out the guts and pick the meat out of the hardshells, but with the softshells, you take out the guts and snip off the eyestalks and everything else is fair game.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:28 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times
Defrost them under running cold water in your kitchen sink. Don't steam them = cooking twice ruins the texture of the crab.

Get kitchen shears and a nutcracker, and get to work open up the legs and be very careful with the claw meat (it is delectable!) remove sinew. I would leave it in chunks at this point...

Meanwhile...

Saute 1 stick of butter in a saucepan, add a few cloves of sliced garlic for a few minutes and add the crab legs. Heat the crab through, turning gently in the butter/garlic sauce.

Toss hot cooked linguine with olive oil, and then pour the butter/crab sauce in and toss gently to coat and spread the butter/crab sauce. I also add some fresh ground black pepper and thinly sliced green onions for garnish and then have the logoatelli romano on the side for each person to add as they wish.

YUM!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:09 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
'the blue crabs,,you eat it all??

shell, guts, eyeballs everything??

On the shelf soft shell crabs, you do eat just about everything but the guts. On the hard shell crabs, you basically spend most your time cleaning them and no you can't eat the shell or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes