Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Not exactly a ringing endorsement!
But they really did want to hate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Dirt Grinder could you post a picture of your Koolickles?
Here they are in all their neon glory...
Attached Thumbnails
Summer - time for Koolickles-koolickles.png  

Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep, it's that time of year...
  • Buy a half-gallon of whole dills
  • Pour the brine from the jar into a bowl
  • Dissolve 1 packet of Cherry Kool-Aid and 1 cup of sugar in the brine
  • Cut the dills in half, lengthwise, and return them to the jar
  • Fill the jar with the neon-red brine
  • Place jar in the fridge
  • After one week, eat your koolickles during the hot summer days
What??? You've never heard of these Mississippi treats?

Then, there's that other Mississippi delicacy, the Delta Tamale, but that's another topic.
I actually think the koolickles are a recent phenomenon. I never heard of them (I grew up in the Memphis/Mississippi delta). I've since heard of them in the past few years, though.

Now I do know those Delta tamales! You eat those with ketchup & saltines--

Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I just started a batch. I am so freaking excited, I am bouncing around the kitchen.
I was thinking this might be crazy but I tasted the brine mix. Oh my! It is so good!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I just started a batch. I am so freaking excited, I am bouncing around the kitchen.
I was thinking this might be crazy but I tasted the brine mix. Oh my! It is so good!
Kool! Make sure they get to sit for a week before you sample them, and turn them daily to get them all saturated with that cherry flavoring.

Make sure you tell us how they are received. Everyone wants to hate them at first sight, but when they taste them it's often a different story.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Kool! Make sure they get to sit for a week before you sample them, and turn them daily to get them all saturated with that cherry flavoring.

Make sure you tell us how they are received. Everyone wants to hate them at first sight, but when they taste them it's often a different story.
I don't want to hate them, but I still only want to make a small jar. I did a little googling on small-batch koolickles, and it seems the problem is that there really is very little Kool-Aid powder in a packet, so it's difficult to shrink the batch properly. I have an extra jar of baby dills - I may try to make some (accidentally) uber-strong baby koolickles.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 PM

I started my 24 oz jar of baby dill koolickles tonight. I cut the pickles in half and used half a cup of sugar and half a packet of kool-aid, so they should come out pretty dark.

I wanted to use my favorite flavor, black cherry, but perhaps Kool-Aid's day in the sun is over. They only had grape and tropical punch flavored at Tom Thumb, so I went with the latter.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I started my 24 oz jar of baby dill koolickles tonight. I cut the pickles in half and used half a cup of sugar and half a packet of kool-aid, so they should come out pretty dark.

I wanted to use my favorite flavor, black cherry, but perhaps Kool-Aid's day in the sun is over. They only had grape and tropical punch flavored at Tom Thumb, so I went with the latter.
Good luck with them. At least you'll be able to say you tried one. I can imagine Karl Pilkington's reaction to a Koolickle: "Oooh, that's bloody 'orrible."

Old 06-24-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Good luck with them. At least you'll be able to say you tried one. I can imagine Karl Pilkington's reaction to a Koolickle: "Oooh, that's bloody 'orrible."
Yes, I'm certain he would be completely horrified -- which is the beauty of Karl anyway

Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 PM

I kind of like it. I may even like it a lot on crackers, but I don't enjoy them plain. I had trouble finishing 1/2 of 1/2 of a baby dill koolickle just now (that's 1/4 of a baby dill pickle, for the mathematically challenged )

Review:

I am glad I made the smaller jar - it is still PLENTY of koolickes

Baby dills (cut in half) make a nice choice, though they are not so uniform looking as regular pickle spears

I really like them cut in slices with saltine crackers. I'll try with some cheese next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes