Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

Another Tex Mex/Chevy's recipe. I love black beans, and these are really tasty. Hope you enjoy

Big Flavor Black Beans

* 2 cups dried black beans
* 3 quarts water
* 3/4 cup yellow onions, diced
* 1 tablespoon diced fresh garlic
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 2 teaspoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon Chipotle puree
* 1/3 cup ketchup
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 teaspoons salt

In a stockpot, cover and soak the beans overnight in the water. Next day, add the remaining ingredients except the salt. Bring to a boil and stir. Decrease the heat to medium and allow to simmer until the beans are almost soft, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If the liquid evaporates before beans are cooked, add it in at 1/4 cup each time. When the beans are cooked through, add the salt and cook 2 more minutes. Will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator.

(I like mine to have a thick sauce, so I let the water boil down until there is just a sauce. This is great served with white rice and Pico de gallo.)

Chipotle Puree

* 6 cups water
* 4 ozs. dried chipotle peppers, stems removed
* 2 tablespoons achiote paste
* 1 cup tomato paste
* 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 cup olive oil

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Decrease heat to medium-low, allow to simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat,
and allow to cool. Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. Store in an airtight container
in refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze excess for up to 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I will try this! I love black beans and recipes that use dry beans instead of canned.

I'm not sure I have ever seen achiote paste but will stop by the store on my way home and look for it. I have the rest of the ingredients.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 PM

They are really good Missi.
It's actually used to create the color of things like yellow rice, and of course, other dishes.
Knowing what the packages look like make it easier to find:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...47._Ta9Hgvpxq0

Old 06-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
They are really good Missi.
It's actually used to create the color of things like yellow rice, and of course, other dishes.
Knowing what the packages look like make it easier to find:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...47._Ta9Hgvpxq0

Thanks! I think I have seen those yellow boxed before in the international aisle but didn't know what they were.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I will try this! I love black beans and recipes that use dry beans instead of canned.

I'm not sure I have ever seen achiote paste but will stop by the store on my way home and look for it. I have the rest of the ingredients.
I've purchased achiote sauce for marinades at my local Latin markets. I'm sure they have the paste too. I've only really experimented with it with grilled chicken, it imparts a lovely red color and a somewhat mild smokey flavor.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:50 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Dang that looks like a lot of work for something that only keeps 3 days. Does it freeze well?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dang that looks like a lot of work for something that only keeps 3 days. Does it freeze well?
I am planning to make these tonight for dinner. I plan to freeze the extra beans in individual serving lunch containers so I can easily pack into my lunch bag.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Beans of all kinds I've ever tried freeze very well.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

It's in a rectangular box usually in the hispanic section of grocery stores. I freeze mine and just take out what I need. Same with chiles such as habaneros. They are delicate and have a short shelf life. Just freeze and use as needed.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM

27 posts, read 89,992 times
This is the best black bean recipe I have ever made. A favorite at our Mexican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes