Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

I was just making potato salad and it dawned on me: both tuna salad and potato salad can be made so many ways. I use dill pickles in both; I use eggs in potato salad but not tuna salad and I make my potato salad out of a combination of mustard, mayo and sour cream, but only use mayo in tuna salad. How about the rest of you? And do you make them based on how your mom did or did you decide how you liked it best? My mom always used sweet pickles. She never used mustard or sour cream either, just plain old Miracle Whip, not my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Are we really ready for another tuna salad post? LOL

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
When I was 19 or so I worked for a family taking care of the wife who was ill and she loved tuna fish made with hard boiled eggs cut up and added to it. I though it rather odd, but wasn't too bad.
I like tuna fish, Albacore, solid only, chopped up with celery and mayonnaise. No miracle whip. Yuck.
Potato salad I like a little bit of chopped onion, celery, a little grated carrots, a hard boiled egg chopped up, maybe some relish, not much and mayo.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
We have always used hard boiled eggs in our tuna and potato salad.

Tuna salad:
tuna
egg
mayo
diced dill pickle or relish
diced celery (sometimes)
mayo

Potato salad:
boiled potatoes
eggs
chopped/diced celery
chopped/diced bell peppers (sometimes)
chopped/diced onion
mayo mustard

(end product will be yellow)

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Hmm. Mustard in both, eggs only in potato salad. I don't put pickles in either one, but I'd be more likely to use dill than sweet if I did.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Eggs in both, finely diced sour pickles in both, Dukes mayo. For potato salad I add jalepeno stuffed olives -mmm good.
Will have to try sour cream.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was just making potato salad and it dawned on me: both tuna salad and potato salad can be made so many ways. I use dill pickles in both; I use eggs in potato salad but not tuna salad and I make my potato salad out of a combination of mustard, mayo and sour cream, but only use mayo in tuna salad. How about the rest of you? And do you make them based on how your mom did or did you decide how you liked it best? My mom always used sweet pickles. She never used mustard or sour cream either, just plain old Miracle Whip, not my favorite.
I make two types....American with white potatoes, egg, mustard, garlic, finally chopped onion and raddish, dresses with mayo and sour cream. My husband like pickle relish (and I don't)...so I add some to his.

And a German style made with red potatoes, bacon crumbles, green onions and dresses with a warm vinagrette (though it can be served chilled and still be good....sometimes add a dollop of sour cream to it at this point.)

Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
I make my potato salad in a yogurt sauce

I use Knorr beef cube in boiling water
salt
Red wine vinegar
fine diced onions
cold boiled sliced potatoes
capers
apples
eggs
dill pickles
Dijon mustard
sometimes fresh dill
and yogurt

* rare occasion I add sardines

My tuna salad I make with these ingredients

tuna
onion
celery
cucumber
fresh parsley
sometimes cherry tomatoes
dill pickles
hard boiled eggs
lemon juice
mayonnaise
French or Dijon mustard
black pepper

Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I never thought of sweet pickles or relish in my tuna salad. Now I will have to try them. Maybe capers. I love capers.

I am not a fan of celery so I put green onions in my tuna salad instead. I use many of the other ingredients mentioned here.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Here's how I make mine:

Tuna salad
1 large can bumble bee white albacore tuna-Flaked
Hellman's mayo- 1/2 cup or a little less
1 tsp. sweet pickle relish
1/2 Tsp. Fresh dill
1 Tbsp. Onion powder

Potato salad:
2 pound potatoes red or Yukon gold cut in quarters-I leave skin on
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
1-2 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tsp. fresh dill.

Boil potatoes until tender but not too soft, drain. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and chill 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes