Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

I've been eating roasted veggies over baby spinach all week and it's really been great.

I was looking at all those sheet pan recipes and went with my own version by doing each one individually. Roasted zucchini, red peppers, butternut squash and mushrooms in a combo of italian herbs, garlic, balsamic, a little honey and olive oil. Did the same with some bite-sized pieces of chicken. Then I put it all over baby spinach with some dried cranberries, feta and avocado-cilantro dressing.

It tastes great, but I want to change things up next week. I'm thinking about a Mexican twist - chili powder, lime and a salsa ranch dressing maybe, with queso fresca crumbles. I could do the same veggie combo too.

Not really sure. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
broccoli and cauliflower are great for roasting, so is asparagus and would go wonderfully well with the Mexican twist. Asparagus and lime are best friends. carrots also are great roasted. I think most veggies roast well if you pay attention to them. You said, you used zucchini I am not fond of it roasted. It has a bit too much liquid in it for me. I do love it sauteed. You may want to switch from spinach to romaine or some other type of greens just for variety.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:12 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
What you are making is similar to the bowls we make for dinner, but in salad form.

We just do different flavor profiles and mix ingredients as needed. Japanese: miso or wasabi dressing, Greek: lemon vinagrette with feta and pepperoncinis, Chinese: soy / sesame oil, Mexican: salsa, did a spicy buffalo flavor on mock chicken with blue cheese.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
broccoli and cauliflower are great for roasting, so is asparagus and would go wonderfully well with the Mexican twist. Asparagus and lime are best friends. carrots also are great roasted. I think most veggies roast well if you pay attention to them. You said, you used zucchini I am not fond of it roasted. It has a bit too much liquid in it for me. I do love it sauteed. You may want to switch from spinach to romaine or some other type of greens just for variety.
From my perspective, cauliflower is basically undead broccoli. So that's a no-go, along with limas But roasted broccoli! OMG love that stuff. That would go great.

Asparagus I'll have to give a go too - I never though of it with Mexican themed seasonings, but it seems like it could be great.

The zukes actually do pretty well - they get that brown edge and still maintain their moisture - I roasted everything separately so the wetness didn't mess with the other veggies.

I will think about trying other greens, for sure! Just not kale. It's ok, but a little goes a long way!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What you are making is similar to the bowls we make for dinner, but in salad form.

We just do different flavor profiles and mix ingredients as needed. Japanese: miso or wasabi dressing, Greek: lemon vinagrette with feta and pepperoncinis, Chinese: soy / sesame oil, Mexican: salsa, did a spicy buffalo flavor on mock chicken with blue cheese.
Great ideas!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Red cabbage is also great roasted or grilled. I guess green cabbage would work to but I've never tried it.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Garbanzos, Brussels sprouts, red cabbage (luckily you work from home lol), onions, sweet potatoes, snap peas....

Old 07-28-2017, 01:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I ALWAYS order the roasted veggie salad from CPK, it's my favorite.

Don't forget squash which is great roasted (butternut, kobucha, etc.), toast nuts and add, toast grains before cooking (quinoa, farro, etc.) to add (really makes the salad more filling). Bellpeppers are great roasted too!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Mexican roasted vegies? MUST get a fresh pepper and roast it, then peel it and include it with the other vegies. Like it hot but not outrageously hot? Get Anaheims. Prefer a milder flavor? Get a poblano.

Tomatoes might be another thing to add to your roasting pan. They won't take long to cook.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Have you looked through recipes? I'm sure there are lots for roasted veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes