Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 01:07 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Were jello salads popular in the 50s or was that the 60s?
I wasn’t around until the late ‘50’s, but as far as peak of popularity, with strange combinations of stuff in jello, and jello being shaped in molds, and jello-stuff being everywhere, like at holiday dinners, for dessert, at parties and picnics, wedding receptions, baby showers, funeral wakes, restaurants, school cafeterias, jello was EVERYWHERE. I remember going to a girl’s birthday party where she had a jello mold instead of birthday cake...her choice...it was in stripes of different flavors, & I didn’t like jello & didn’t want to be rude, so I gagged some down.

I think the ubiquitness of it tapered in the 70’s, but then stuff with jello pudding in it started...I remember “Watergate salad”. Someone was on drugs when they created that. I think it was Jello instant pistachio pudding, poured from the box dry into Cool Whip, crushed canned pineapple, nuts & coconut flakes & mini-marshmallows, maybe other weird stuff, and then it also made the rounds at holidays, parties, etc. I was asked to bring it to an office potluck & said I would bring a green salad instead...people were p*****! I think that glop is still around today.

I’ll probably get flamed for defaming Watergate Salad now. I’ve noticed people getting testy on this thread when it should just be pure fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Default Hard Times Come Again No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I grew up in the Midwest, in the same generation as your parents. Our parents were the children in the Depression. They were lucky to have food, period. My parents & the majority of my friends' parents had fried mush for supper several nights a week, growing up. Meat was usually a once a week occurance. If they were lucky they could stretch it for an extra meal as leftovers. Breakfast was usually popcorn with milk & sugar. Sunday supper was popcorn with butter & salt. They grew up with iceboxes to keep the food cold. My grandparents called their refrigerators "the ice box". Many parents of Boomers replayed the Depression, to some extent, with their kids. When I was a kid, I still remember seeing ice trucks, especially in the summer, as some people still had iceboxes to provide extra cooling capacity in the summer. They would get dry ice delivered for the iceboxes.
growing up we had an ice box and didnt get a refrigerator (Frigidaire) until I was in Jr High School. We didnt have dry ice....we had an iceman make a weekly delivery of a block of ice for the icebox. As kids we loved to follow after the iceman and beg chips of ice like we later chased the ice cream truck for popsicles. When I was little we lived on a lake in Canada (Massawippi) and I would watch the horse-drawn sleds go out on the ice and the men cut huge blocks of ice with big saws. The ice would be packed in sawdust in the town Ice House for summer and to ship to the USA.

I called the fridge "the ice box" until I was pretty much grown....even after we had a fridge. We didnt have a "pop-up electric toaster until I was in Jr High either.

Corn Meal mush with molasses (and oleo margerine) was a winter breakfast in my house; we had pop corn suppers when there wasnt anything else.

I was born in 1940.

Last edited by elston; 12-31-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 08:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
growing up we had an ice box and didnt get a refrigerator (Frigidaire) until I was in Jr High School. We didnt have dry ice....we had an iceman make a weekly delivery of a block of ice for the icebox. As kids we loved to follow after the iceman and beg chips of ice like we later chased the ice cream truck for popsicles. When I was little we lived on a lake in Canada (Massawippi) and I would watch the horse-drawn sleds go out on the ice and the men cut huge blocks of ice with big saws. The ice would be packed in sawdust in the town Ice House for summer and to ship to the USA.

I called the fridge "the ice box" until I was pretty much grown....even after we had a fridge. We didnt have a "pop-up electric toaster until I was in Jr High either.

Corn Meal mush with molasses (and oleo margerine) was a winter breakfast in my house; we had pop corn suppers when there wasnt anything else.

I was born in 1940.
I was born in 1951. I remember my mother saying that the iceman was bringing dry ice to certain people who had kept the iceboxes after getting refrigerators. This was mid to late 50s, in Michigan.

My parents both had lots of fried mush, growing up, but my mother never made it. She said if she never saw it again it would be too soon. If she was down to just about nothing it was scrambled eggs & bacon or french toast & bacon.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

The very best part of the 1950s jello molds was the appetizing colors in the print outs. I especially like that they called them "molds."

Now just feast your eyes on that prune mold! Doesn't that move you?

Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

The very best part of the 1950s jello molds was the appetizing colors in the print outs. I especially like that they called them "molds."

Now just feast your eyes on that prune mold! Doesn't that move you?

These have to be some of the worst and really bizarre dishes I've seen assembled together in one post.

Unfortunately, I have seen the "Hot Dog "Crown Roast" picture on vintage food sites. I've got to ask - if you want a Crown Roast, but can't afford one - what would make anyone think your next "go-to"dish would be THIS bizarre creation?

And that Jello Fish just makes me nauseous. The green olive eyes are a repulsive cherry on top. Or two of them.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, with the gingham cover, was the essential cooking bible, here. Still is, outside of online recipe databases.
I still have mine and refer to it a couple times a year I guess.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I wasn’t around until the late ‘50’s, but as far as peak of popularity, with strange combinations of stuff in jello, and jello being shaped in molds, and jello-stuff being everywhere, like at holiday dinners, for dessert, at parties and picnics, wedding receptions, baby showers, funeral wakes, restaurants, school cafeterias, jello was EVERYWHERE. I remember going to a girl’s birthday party where she had a jello mold instead of birthday cake...her choice...it was in stripes of different flavors, & I didn’t like jello & didn’t want to be rude, so I gagged some down.

I think the ubiquitness of it tapered in the 70’s, but then stuff with jello pudding in it started...I remember “Watergate salad”. Someone was on drugs when they created that. I think it was Jello instant pistachio pudding, poured from the box dry into Cool Whip, crushed canned pineapple, nuts & coconut flakes & mini-marshmallows, maybe other weird stuff, and then it also made the rounds at holidays, parties, etc. I was asked to bring it to an office potluck & said I would bring a green salad instead...people were p*****! I think that glop is still around today.

I’ll probably get flamed for defaming Watergate Salad now. I’ve noticed people getting testy on this thread when it should just be pure fun.
wow, do I remember jello salads, and you know, there still are a few I like, but the one I remember he most and hated it was my grandmothers favorite Thanksgiving salad. She would use those little jello molds so we all got our own little salad. She had 2 avocado trees in her back yard, so the salad was green jello with avocados in the jello. Not only do avocados not mix well with sweet jello, they turn brown as most of us know. OMG it was awful.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I still have mine and refer to it a couple times a year I guess.
Me too. It's falling apart but there are a lot of old favorites in there. And I've got my tricks and tips written in the margins almost like a cooking diary.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
These have to be some of the worst and really bizarre dishes I've seen assembled together in one post.

Unfortunately, I have seen the "Hot Dog "Crown Roast" picture on vintage food sites. I've got to ask - if you want a Crown Roast, but can't afford one - what would make anyone think your next "go-to"dish would be THIS bizarre creation?

And that Jello Fish just makes me nauseous. The green olive eyes are a repulsive cherry on top. Or two of them.

Yep, that’s what I remember! Oh, those glorious, gourmet days! YUM!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, do I remember jello salads, and you know, there still are a few I like, but the one I remember he most and hated it was my grandmothers favorite Thanksgiving salad. She would use those little jello molds so we all got our own little salad. She had 2 avocado trees in her back yard, so the salad was green jello with avocados in the jello. Not only do avocados not mix well with sweet jello, they turn brown as most of us know. OMG it was awful.

Yeah, I remember those individual molds...they were cute. I think you could get those by mailing in the box
tops from Jello...so, you had to buy even more Jello! Aaaaah!

Bless your granny, she probably thought she was making something really special for her family...and bless you for eating it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes