Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times

Advertisements

This is for Lubby since she asked. I'll bet many of you probably already make them like this but, here's my recipe for what its worth.

Smothered Oxtails (for the slow cooker)

Ingredients
• 2 1/2 pounds beef oxtails
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp. Lawry’s seasoned salt (or I use 2 tsps. of Slap Ya Mama Seasoning)
• 1 tsp. freshly cracked or ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil (if I have enough I use bacon grease)
• 3 cups beef broth
• 1 large yellow onion sliced
• 3-6 cloves of fresh garlic minced
• 2 bay leaves

Instructions
1. Season the oxtails with 2 tsp seasoned salt, and 1 tsp black pepper.
2. Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce all over the oxtails, then toss the oxtails to make sure that they are coated.
3. Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour all over the oxtails, and make sure that the oxtails are coated with the flour.
4. Next pour the vegetable oil (or bacon grease) into a large pan, and place the pan over medium heat.
5. Once the oil is nice and hot, add the oxtails in, and brown them.
6. Once the oxtails are nice and brown remove them from the pan, and put them in the slow cooker.
7. Return back to the pan with the hot oil.
8. If they are burnt pieces in the pan, pour out the oil, strain, clean the pan, then pour the strained oil back into the pan.
9. Start adding the remaining flour into the pan, but only a little bit at a time.
10. Whisk continuously.
11. Once the flour is brown, and resembles " chunky peanut butter,"slowly pour in the beef broth or water.
12. Whisk while you pour!
13. Make sure everything is lump free, then turn the heat from medium to high.
14. Once the gravy reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to medium, and add in the sliced onions, and garlic.
15. Stir the gravy, and do a taste test.
16. Add as much salt & pepper that you think you may need.
17. Turn the heat off, and pour the gravy into the slow cooker covering the oxtails, toss in the bay leaves.
18. Make sure that the oxtails are nicely covered with gravy, then set the slow cooker on high.
19. Let cook for 8 hours.
20. Once done serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or whatever you'd like.

My husband drizzles hot sauce over his oxtails which drives me nuts – the darn things already have a delicious gravy!

Last edited by Praline; 01-18-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:10 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Thanks for the recipe.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
...My husband drizzles hot sauce over his oxtails which drives me nuts – the darn things already have a delicious gravy!
Doesn't that just drive you bat-**** crazy???? I mean, you spend all that time perfecting the amazingly rich and complex flavor, and someone dumps a last-second flavor hack that actually competes with the original flavor profile.

BTW - mine is similar, but I add fresh thyme and Cabernet Sauvignon, and I sub chicken stock for the beef stock, as I just don't make beef stock.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Doesn't that just drive you bat-**** crazy???? I mean, you spend all that time perfecting the amazingly rich and complex flavor, and someone dumps a last-second flavor hack that actually competes with the original flavor profile.

BTW - mine is similar, but I add fresh thyme and Cabernet Sauvignon, and I sub chicken stock for the beef stock, as I just don't make beef stock.
I've added red wine before but I don't think I've used thyme. I am going to add it the next time I make oxtails.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I've added red wine before but I don't think I've used thyme. I am going to add it the next time I make oxtails.
Do you make your own beef stock? I've purchased a few brands of beef stock in the past, and they were disgusting. We don't eat beef very often, so I never have a decent supply of bones for stock.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Do you make your own beef stock? I've purchased a few brands of beef stock in the past, and they were disgusting. We don't eat beef very often, so I never have a decent supply of bones for stock.

Yes, I make my own beef stock and you are right, the store-bought stock is fairly nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes