Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, today I got one of my meal kits with a pound of ground duck in it. I've never had duck before so I'm excited and tiny bit leery that I won't like it because I've heard it's similar to dark chicken meat, which I don't eat.
I plan to fix half of it the way it was intended but I would like to try something else with the other half, so I'm here looking for ideas. (The original recipe calls for serving it topped with gruyere and onions caramelized in a wine/Worcestershire concoction)
I have provolone and gouda, would either of those go well with duck? I have ponzu, kung pao, piri piri, balsamic fig sauce, do any of those provide inspiration? Totally lost here, so open to any and all ideas, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 11:17 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Balsamic fig sauce sounds like a match to me. But there's a lot you could do with the others.

You could look up some Thai salads with ground meat and try one with duck. That would probably be my first choice.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I’m thinking gyoza or won tons.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Duck sausage??

Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Ground Duck

My first thought would be bacon grease in a fry pan as Duck is
usually dry, fold it around until hot an slightly crispy on the edges,
Fold in some Campbells ' Golden Mushroom ' soup a bit at a time
then serve it on a toasted Onion Bun.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ground Duck

My first thought would be bacon grease in a fry pan as Duck is
usually dry, fold it around until hot an slightly crispy on the edges,
Fold in some Campbells ' Golden Mushroom ' soup a bit at a time
then serve it on a toasted Onion Bun.

Good Luck and keep us posted
That sounds interesting, as does the fig sauce. I was sort of hoping for additional ideas for using the duck for different types of sliders, but I guess i didn't really make that clear, but I could make that work.
I appreciate the comment about duck being dry as I have read a few recipes, but tips like that from people who have actually cooked duck are very helpful!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That sounds interesting, as does the fig sauce. I was sort of hoping for additional ideas for using the duck for different types of sliders, but I guess i didn't really make that clear, but I could make that work.
I appreciate the comment about duck being dry as I have read a few recipes, but tips like that from people who have actually cooked duck are very helpful!
The meat is very lean, but ground duck could include skin and that has a layer of fat under it that usually has to be cooked off. I'd try a small bit in a pan so you can tell how fat or lean it is before I made a recipe.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:23 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I have made duck croquettes and they are delicious, although the recipe I used was for using up leftover duck, minced. I think ground duck would probably work just as well.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Duck is my favorite meat, and it makes me cringe that somebody thought it was a good idea to grind one up into chopmeat.

But if I were stuck with it, I'd probably go with NYC Refugee's suggestion of a Thai salad. If you're thinking sliders, I'd do something like this one (but I would leave out that pineapple and probably add some red pepper and cilantro.) https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/as...aysoftailgate/

ETA. On second thought, if I didn't do salad, I'd use the ground duck as the meat on a Vietnamese bahn mi sandwich. One oval patty to fit a sub roll.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:40 PM

Ground duck, need ideas-156.jpg Ah, sorry Jk, just saw this. Anyway I had trouble getting the duck to form into patties, so this is what I got instead. I just went with the original recipe and used a little bacon grease in the skillet. I actually liked them pretty well so will probably try duck again with various recipes. I like the sound of the bahn mi but can't get them around here, will have to make a trip to Knoxville soon and pick up more supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes