Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

My jalapeño plants are doing so well this year that I already have more than I know what to do with.

I will make some of my favorite spicy Mexican pickled carrots and jalapeños, and of course I will make salsa.

I like spicy food to a point, but as I am not my big brother, I will not be eating these suckers whole or plain.

I also don’t want to make jalapeño jelly.

Hit me with your other suggestions please, my friends. If you can include a recipe, all the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:30 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I was once given a jar of Mango Habanero Preserves I liked a lot, I thought it was perfect to spread on the bottom bun of a cheeseburger and wasn't overwhelmingly hot. Might be a good combo with Jalapenos?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Here's an easy Chili and Cheese stuffed Jalapeno recipe:

Chili and Cheese Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers - Kraft Recipes

Cooking them removes a lot of the heat, at least it seems to me that it does.

*Any extra jalapenos you don't want, you can send them my way

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-02-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
smoke and dry some for chipotles. Easy to keep & store.

they also freeze well for adding to a pot of chili in the winter.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:06 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds). Some folks cut the japs in half, clean out the seeds and veins, stuff them with cream cheese and some cooked meat, wrap in bacon and smoke them. I prefer to use them whole, stuff them with Mexican chorizo, cotija cheese the wrap them in bacon and smoke them. I have a rack just for making them whole and a tool to core them.. I prefer the japs ripe (red).

Old 06-03-2018, 05:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Below you will find 1200+ recipes using jalapenos....

recipes using jalapeno peppers.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-03-2018, 07:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Roast them like hatch chili's, peel and freeze in small plastic baggies. They will last until next years harvest (or longer).

I'm also a fan of jalapeno poppers, but I don't smoke them or fry them. Cut in half and remove seeds. Pepper and salt the jalapeno halves. Mix up cream cheese, sharp cheddar and cooked Italian sausage (removed from casing. Fill jalapeno halves with mix. Optional - wrap with partially cooked bacon secured with a toothpick. Broil - but place the rack one level down from the broiler. (Slower cooking removes some of the heat from the peppers.)

Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Some great ideas so far, thanks everybody!

I made some lovely fresh blender salsa last night (2 large jalapenos, 1 very small onion, nearly a pound of garden tomatoes, salt, lime juice), so that's 2 jalapenos down, many to go all summer long.

I just remembered about this delicious cream of jalapeno soup that a local chain restaurant makes (Rockfish). I've looked at the copycat recipe before though, and part of why it's delicious is it's made with a swimming pool full of heavy cream.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Some great ideas so far, thanks everybody!

I made some lovely fresh blender salsa last night (2 large jalapenos, 1 very small onion, nearly a pound of garden tomatoes, salt, lime juice), so that's 2 jalapenos down, many to go all summer long.

I just remembered about this delicious cream of jalapeno soup that a local chain restaurant makes (Rockfish). I've looked at the copycat recipe before though, and part of why it's delicious is it's made with a swimming pool full of heavy cream.
No cilantro in the salsa?

I've thought of a few other things to do with those jalapenos. Chiles Toredos (Chiles Toreados) is a great addition to tacos or carne asada - or any mexican style meat. I won't point you to a specific recipe because everybody makes it differently. Personally, I like the ones that include onions. The serrano's in a recipe can easily be substituted with jalapenos.

Jalapeno in cornbread. Make a salsa verde (green salsa with tomatillo's). Lots of people like pepper jelly, but I'm not a fan.

I know what you mean about that cream of jalapeno soup. One of my favorite dishes is cream of poblano soup.

You're making me anxious for the harvest of my shi****o and habandada peppers.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No cilantro in the salsa?

I've thought of a few other things to do with those jalapenos. Chiles Toredos (Chiles Toreados) is a great addition to tacos or carne asada - or any mexican style meat. I won't point you to a specific recipe because everybody makes it differently. Personally, I like the ones that include onions. The serrano's in a recipe can easily be substituted with jalapenos.

Jalapeno in cornbread. Make a salsa verde (green salsa with tomatillo's). Lots of people like pepper jelly, but I'm not a fan.

I know what you mean about that cream of jalapeno soup. One of my favorite dishes is cream of poblano soup.

You're making me anxious for the harvest of my shi****o and habandada peppers.
I'm one of those cilantro-tastes-like-soap people! I thought of adding a little mexican oregano, but it didn't need it, with those super fresh garden vegetables. I forgot to say I also added a small clove of garlic.

Chiles toreados and jalapeno corn bread are good ideas.

I've had delicious s h i s h i t o peppers at a sushi place, but I've never had a habanada.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-03-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes