Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:33 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,867 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid the week before Christmas was my Mom's time to bake cookies. She'd ask what everyone's favorites were and everyday she'd bake a different kind. My favorites were spritz cookies with cherries in the middle. My Dad loved rum balls and macaroons. Nobody ever turned down her chocolate chip cookies. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/food/67.gif (broken link) Do you have a favorite? A special recipe you'd like to share? Have you started baking any goodies yet? Here's my childhood favorite.
[CENTER]Spritz Cookies

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup shortening
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut the shortening in until it resembles course crumbs.
3. Measure the egg and add enough water to make 1/4 cup, beat together. Add egg and vanilla to crumb mixture; mix well.
4. Put through the cookie press onto cookie sheets. Decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar or candies cherries if desired. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 -12 minutes or until very light brown and set.[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,252 times
There is always one cookie recipe that I bake, without fail, at Christmastime. They are called Sandies. Some of you may know them as Mexican Wedding Cookies, or Danish Wedding Cookies. I've heard them called both. Sometimes I just simply call them Christmas Cookies, because that's the only time I bake them. Boy, is that original or what?!Anyway, here is the recipe:

SANDIES

1 cup butter(DO NOT substitute anything else, or they won't taste as good).
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all--purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and sugar; add water and vanilla; mix well. Blend in flour and nuts. Shape into balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 325 degrees about 20 minutes. Remove from pan; cool slightly; roll in powdered sugar. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

NOTES: My original recipe says to chill the dough for 4 hours. I don't do this, but they bake up fine, anyway.

Also, when I roll the cookies in the powdered sugar, I roll them twice. I go through the whole batch one time, then do them again. The reason for this is that they have a nicer whiter color to them, like snowballs.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:53 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,867 times
I love those cookies, CelticLady1! I've never made them, but often people will give me cookies for a gift and those are the first ones I grab.

Come on guys--no other good recipes??

Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,909 times
I wasn't going to post the recipe but I like to bake those twisted Candy Cane Cookies. They're just so fun to make.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,252 times
Grammy164, it looks to me as though everyone else is too shy to share those recipes. Come on, y'all! We two can't be the only ones who bake alot during this time of the year.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:36 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,887 times
Thank God for an upbeat thread!! Lately it has been getting depressing.
I baked early because I wanted to take cookies to my son in Tucson last weekend. My favorite is the peanut butter cookies with the hersey kisses. I have a VERY easy recipe (3 ingredients) one cup sugar
one cup peanut butter
one egg
I triple this recipe Bake 350 for 8-10 min.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,994 times
MY COOKIE RECIPE:
1.Get one nice lady from City-Data
2.Have her bake me some cookies
3.Have them boxed up carefully
4.Then send them to me

Old 12-15-2006, 12:45 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
OK I don't have a recipe to share but I need some cookie advice please. We are having a "poor white trash" Christmas so we are making oh so thoughtful sugar cookie platters to give to our friends but what is the frosting made of? You know, the kind that does not make all the cookies stick together? I have eaten them for years and not once have I actually thought about the icing lol

Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
MY COOKIE RECIPE:
1.Get one nice lady from City-Data
2.Have her bake me some cookies
3.Have them boxed up carefully
4.Then send them to me
Thats Funny!!!
You should of said something I just got finished mailing all my cookies to my out of state familys!!! Next year, just remind me

Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 PM

29 posts, read 83,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Thank God for an upbeat thread!! Lately it has been getting depressing.
I baked early because I wanted to take cookies to my son in Tucson last weekend. My favorite is the peanut butter cookies with the hersey kisses. I have a VERY easy recipe (3 ingredients) one cup sugar
one cup peanut butter
one egg
I triple this recipe Bake 350 for 8-10 min.
I agree! what a nice upbeat thread.

Here's my recipe for Christmas Cranberry Bars:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 pack raw cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts: optional

Cream together: butter, sugar and brown sugar

Mix in: eggs, vanilla, flour, salt and baking powder. Mix this all together and then add cranberries, chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Press into an ungreased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

this recipe is also good with butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips. You can also chop up mixed nuts, walnuts or pecans. I am not a big "nut" person so i have never baked this recipe with them included.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes