Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,335,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
OK I don't have a recipe to share but I need some cookie advice please. We are having a "poor white trash" Christmas so we are making oh so thoughtful sugar cookie platters to give to our friends but what is the frosting made of? You know, the kind that does not make all the cookies stick together? I have eaten them for years and not once have I actually thought about the icing lol
Here's one to try--

[CENTER] INGREDIENTS

4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth.[/CENTER]

I hope this is what you meant. BTW--NOT a "white trash Christmas." There's no nicer gift in the world than something you make. Shopping till you drop isn't what Christmas is all about. Gifts from the heart--always the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,686 times
Default gifts from the heart

I hope this is what you meant. BTW--NOT a "white trash Christmas." There's no nicer gift in the world than something you make. Shopping till you drop isn't what Christmas is all about. Gifts from the heart--always the best!

I agree Grammy164. A plate of cookies that you've made yourself means more to most people than if you went out and bought them something that they don't need or want. Making something for someone means that you put thought and effort into your gift.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I agree Grammy164. A plate of cookies that you've made yourself means more to most people than if you went out and bought them something that they don't need or want. Making something for someone means that you put thought and effort into your gift.
I agree. I make my cookies, and take a plate to my daughter's in-laws, (my daughter and her family are stationed in Germany at the moment, Air Force), and they bring over a plate to me, of a rice dish, that has coconut chunks and raisins in it. It's quite good, although I cannot think of the name of it, (they are Puerto Rican, and it's something they make alot in their family/culture). It's just something nice to do. Which shows that you don't have to spend alot of money in order to make the holidays pleasant and meaningful.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:34 PM

661 posts, read 2,898,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
OK I don't have a recipe to share but I need some cookie advice please. We are having a "poor white trash" Christmas so we are making oh so thoughtful sugar cookie platters to give to our friends but what is the frosting made of? You know, the kind that does not make all the cookies stick together? I have eaten them for years and not once have I actually thought about the icing lol
You're not having a white trash Christmas - you're following a trend that I'm seeing this year.

In talking to friends and family, no one's going all out with shopping this year. They're tired spending too much money and tired of Christmas being just another stress factor.

What I'm hearing from many people is that they're having more get togethers and making things for people, rather than buying. I love this. They're making silk flower arrangements, food, knitting sweaters - my cousin's doing homemade kahlua (yum!).

I think this is wonderful.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,335,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
You're not having a white trash Christmas - you're following a trend that I'm seeing this year.

In talking to friends and family, no one's going all out with shopping this year. They're tired spending too much money and tired of Christmas being just another stress factor.

What I'm hearing from many people is that they're having more get togethers and making things for people, rather than buying. I love this. They're making silk flower arrangements, food, knitting sweaters - my cousin's doing homemade kahlua (yum!).

I think this is wonderful.
I think it's wonderful too! I put together pictures for family, my husband did ceramics. I like to create memories for everyone. This year I'm taking the kiddies to SeaWorld. My present will be seeing the dolphins and the penguins through their eyes.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,634,220 times
Strufoli........my grandmother used to make them during Christmas season. She gave my wife the recipe and she can get them pretty close to the way "Grandma" used to make, but not quite the same. I can eat pounds of them!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Strufoli........my grandmother used to make them during Christmas season. She gave my wife the recipe and she can get them pretty close to the way "Grandma" used to make, but not quite the same. I can eat pounds of them!
okay, Exhdo1...let's not keep it a secret! Where's the recipe? I've never even heard of strufoli.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Here's another recipe that I remembered, from my Christmas collection:

TASSIES

Pastry:
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour

Filling:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash salt
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans, divided

For pastry, blend cream cheese and butter until smooth; stir in flour. Chill about 1 hour. Shape into 24 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased miniature muffin tins; press dough against bottom and sides to form shell. Set aside. In bowl, beat brown sugar, butter and egg until combined. Add vanilla, salt and half the pecans; spoon into pastry. Top with remaining pecans. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until filling is set and pastry is light golden brown. Cool and remove from pans.
YIELD: 24 tarts

NOTE: These are not hard to make, 'though they take a little while. They disappear pretty quick at my house.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:27 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,659,939 times
Thanks all! We are trying to make the best of a bad situation so cookies were the best/cheapest we could come up with. The two of us made about 8 dozen teensy sugar cookies last night. My little man was in charge of the sprinkles of course. I think he went off to school this morning w/a bit of dough in his hair lol. I am not the best baker/cook but we used boxed cake mix to roll the dough instead of flour. It seemed to add a bit extra to those cookies. Well, I have to tell you that making those cookies was a darn site better then the mall so I will recommend it to everyone even if you have tons of money. You get to spend some time w/the kids plus you can do it in your jammies! The only stress I had was trying to get the sprinkles to "stick". Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:23 PM

156 posts, read 792,644 times
What a fun thread!!! Here is one of our favorites:

Peanut Clusters

2 lbs white almond bark
1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (12 oz.) bag milk chocolate chips
24 oz. dry roasted peanuts

Melt the first 3 ingredients, add the peanuts and drop by a teaspoon onto waxed paper.

Does anyone have a great fudge recipe?

Happy Holidays to all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes