Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,257,162 times

Advertisements

https://www.tastecooking.com/roast-c...rs-horrifying/

I read this in perplexity. I’ve roasted chickens for years, doing so without instruction, and somehow getting good results. The key for me used to be roasting Perdue’s Oven Stuffers, which are almost like small turkeys. I put one in an old fashioned enameled chicken roaster with a domed lid, put a liitle water in the bottom, lidded the roaster and placed it in a 350 deg oven.

I did little more than that, and I always got a beautiful chicken.

Now that I can’t get Oven Stuffers any more, I do not get such a beautiful bird, but the chicken I do get is perfectly fine. So I was surprised when this author had so much angst about doing this,

I do think his final method, including the compulsive washing of hands, is fine. I usually roast mine at 350 deg. And I pour a little white wine over top of the chicken when it is roughly 2/3 done, to brown it up, leaving the cover off. You can dispense with the wine in a convection oven.

And now I dry brine a chicken for a day before roasting,

At any rate, what do think if the article? How do you roast a chicken?

Here’s what I do:

Get out my vintage enameled chicken roaster with domed lid.

Pull my dry brined chicken out of the fridge. Stuff herbs under the skin and in the cavity. Place bay leaves and fresh rosemary on the bottom of the roaster, and plop bird on top.

Place in 350 deg preheated oven.

After 30-45 min, unlid the pan, and pour a little white wine over the bird. Leave lid off.

Continue cooking till chicken is evenly brown, and leg moves loosely when tested. Or use a meat thermometer!

Take chicken out, and let rest for a few minutes before carving the succulent flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 AM

23,643 posts, read 70,610,408 times
I rarely roast like that anymore. After dealing with turkeys that cooked unevenly, I deconstruct all fowl before cooking and lay it out flat to roast. I find it to be faster and more reliable. I also use disposable gloves working with chicken now.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,092,857 times
My preferred method is on the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill, using a two zone fire. I place a drip pan in between the fire zones, directly under the chicken. As an alternative, I spatchcock the chicken and roast low and slow on the BGE. In both cases, I wet brine the bird.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:17 AM

1,371 posts, read 674,506 times
Check out Serious Eats and spatchcocking a chicken or turkey. They explain the science behind it and give detailed instructions. Best thing? It actually does work!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,418,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I read this in perplexity. I’ve roasted chickens for years, doing so without instruction, and somehow getting good results. The key for me used to be roasting Perdue’s Oven Stuffers, which are almost like small turkeys. I put one in an old fashioned enameled chicken roaster with a domed lid, put a liitle water in the bottom, lidded the roaster and placed it in a 350 deg oven.

Now that I can’t get Oven Stuffers any more, I do not get such a beautiful bird, but the chicken I do get is perfectly fine. So I was surprised when this author had so much angst about doing this,

I do think his final method, including the compulsive washing of hands, is fine. I usually roast mine at 350 deg. And I pour a little white wine over top of the chicken when it is roughly 2/3 done, to brown it up, leaving the cover off. You can dispense with the wine in a convection oven.

Here’s what I do:

Pull my dry brined chicken out of the fridge. Stuff herbs under the skin and in the cavity. Place bay leaves and fresh rosemary on the bottom of the roaster, and plop bird on top.

After 30-45 min, unlid the pan, and pour a little white wine over the bird. Leave lid off.

Continue cooking till chicken is evenly brown, and leg moves loosely when tested. Or use a meat thermometer!

Take chicken out, and let rest for a few minutes before carving the succulent flesh.

We get the Perdue Oven Stuffers at local Ingles. We love them.
My wife does the chicken roasting. She smears some salted and peppered butter under the skin, then smears the skin all over with olive oil. Then some poultry seasoning, some onion, garlic and celerey leaves in the cavity.
She uses a roasting pan like you do at 350 and has me turn the bird over about 1.5 hrs into the cooking. That is also when we baste it and tent it with foil.
We use the pop up thermometer that comes with the bird and it always turns out fine.

these birds are really big so lots of left-overs for sandwiches and enchiladas or tortilla soup.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Here’s what I do:

I still roast chicken the way you did. I am sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but the internet and social media, while great in many ways, has created another degree of hysteria. I heard just before Thanksgiving that you should not wash your turkey because the water that splashed over the sink can make you sick. I am sorry, I have scrubbed my sink both before and after washing a turkey and as a retiree, I am still alive and not one guest has been sickened by my turkey. Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways. FWIW, I too have that enameled roaster. I use it for my eye rounds too.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,306,457 times
I just put some oil on them season and bake/roast for 25 mins per pound at 350 …..or until it reaches 165f internal temp ( stick thermometer in between thigh & breast)

love roasted chicken!!

I sell thousands of Perdue oven stuffer roasters …. recently had them on sale and bought a few.... they freeze well

for the fryers (3-5lb birds) (roasters are 6-9lbs) I have cooked in my air fryer and it does a decent job.....cooks quicker and easy to clean

if you really want a plump chicken try a capon …. they are more prevalent this time of year going into Christmas. a capon is a castrated rooster.... he eats more since his attention isn't on the hens …

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM

19,460 posts, read 27,938,010 times
I love serious eats and consider them one of my top go-to sites for anything good related. But that spatchcok roast chicken recipe didn't turn out well for me. Dry. I think cutting the thing open like that fellowship much of the juices to run out.

I'm still very fond of using the rotisserie on our has grill. But when the weather doesn't cooperate, I look for alternatives.

Ironically, I tried this one two nights ago and it was pretty amazing. Very crispy skin. I poured out some of the day after taking out the chicken, prior to returning the potatoes and onions to the oven. Next time, I'll be adding garlic and onion powder. This one is a keeper. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ca...rispy-potatoes

Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,807,290 times
I have no problem with just lemon and herb roasting. It turns out perfect, no stuffing. Found the recipe online. I used to spatchcock my chicken but I noticed it was a lot of working, messy and not really taste better. I buy my chicken from Trader’s Joe.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:52 PM

32,706 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Roast chicken, any size. Rinse the bird inside and out. Pat dry. Put a sliced lemon and several slightly crushed cloves of garlic into the body cavity.

Place the bird, backbone down, into a roasting pan. 350 degrees until done.

A roasting pan with those little spikes on the lid will get better browning. Using a rack in the roasting pan will get better browning all the way around.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-07-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes