Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 02:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,836 times

Advertisements

Of course melting the chocolate. But there is more to it. What is the process and what kind of chocolate bought where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Given your question, I'm going to guess you're on the "beginner" end of things. The absolute Easiest path for you is to use a "chocolate melt", the most common and easily available is "chocolate almond bark", you'd be hard pressed to find a store with a baking isle that DOESN'T have this stuff. It's not chocolate, but offers a close enough resemblance to make for an excellent first try. I use it, and I'm a snob when it comes to food/sweets (well, I use it for specific things).

Next step up from that would be candy melts, more or less like above but in a higher quality. Past that is getting into real chocolate, which requires knowledge of tempering to do well/obtain good results.

As for "how to coat", you either pour it over (marshmallow on a toothpick, slowly pour the melted chocolate over the whole thing), dip it in the melted chocolate or combine the 2... dipping the bottom that then sits on a wire rack and then pour to cover the rest. The final is how commercial candy is coated, chocolate waterfall covers items that go through on a converyer belt.

I must suggest that if you're willing to chocolate coat marshmallows, please do yourself a favor and make the marshmallows from scratch too. Unbelievable how much better they are, the only "special" tool needed is a mixer with whipe attachment.... or a REALLY muscular forearm and normal whisk.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I buy a block of callebaut chocolate and grate the amount I plan to use. You melt chocolate in a double boiler. The bottom pan contains simmering water, the top pan doesn't touch the water and that contains your chocolate.

Don't touch the chocolate while it is melting. Give a quick gentle stir after it is all melted and you are ready to use it.

Dip one end of the marshmallow into the chocolate and then into finely chopped walnuts ( rocky road), chopped pecans or peanuts or pistachios. Or dip into chocolate or colored sprinkles ( jimmies). Or finely crushed candy cane. The candy cane looks particularly fancy if you are using white chocolate.

Set the candies onto a non stick surface and don't touch until the chocolate has set, probably close to 24 hours.

Don't buy the candy bar brands of chocolate and don't try to use chocolate chips. They are made to resist melting.

Your marshmallows will look fancy half coated and garnished and that is much easier and better looking than coating the entire marshmallow.

I set my chocolates on a silicon sheet to set. I don't know what anyone else uses

Old 02-02-2019, 01:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
I stop at Trader Joe's and get a box of dark chocolate covered marshmallows from France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes