Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times

Advertisements

Looks like internal temp is about 140. I think this is good for my case - I usually take my steak medium, and my wife does not like my young kids to eat meat that is too raw.

Well dinner party is not here yet so I won't cut it open for now... Looking forward to the moment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Have a great dinner!

More pics after you slice it!!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Dinner all done and guests left. Now the belated moment of truth.

At 140 degrees the inside is still pink, but not as rare and soft as you would get at a restaurant. As I predicted, this works out best for us because of the kids eating the meal. The slices are tender enough and barely bloody. All guests loved the meat; even kids asked for 2nd and 3rd servings!

I also made au jus - drippings + corn starch + beef stock.

All in all, a successful meal.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Dinner all done and guests left. Now the belated moment of truth.

At 140 degrees the inside is still pink, but not as rare and soft as you would get at a restaurant. As I predicted, this works out best for us because of the kids eating the meal. The slices are tender enough and barely bloody. All guests loved the meat; even kids asked for 2nd and 3rd servings!

I also made au jus - drippings + corn starch + beef stock.

All in all, a successful meal.

WOW!!! That looks FANTASTIC!!! You did a GREAT job!!!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for help. Definitely there is room to improve, but I am very happy with the result.

A couple of observations:

1. I did not have a carving knife around and had to use kitchen knife; I saw that I lost some meat juice when cutting. Need to go get myself a carving knife.

2. As shown in the picture, the meat in the middle is a bit broken up - you can see some cracks. When I ate at restaurants I seem to remember the meat looks very much intact. Is this due to my cutting with wrong knife (and having to press down a bit)? Or the meat? Or other reasons?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Wow - looks really good. Great job!

You knocked it out!

I'd blame the meat - yeah.

Maybe I missed where you said how long you let it rest before slicing? You'll always get some juices from slicing.

While I have had good results with Costco, for special dinners I've found a specialty butcher for my meat. Could be worth it to have a look around where you live.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 AM

My local supermarket did not have rib roast; just rib steaks. Maybe they only put out rib roast during holidays? I didn't ask because I knew Costco would have it and I was going there. Will check with supermarket's meat staff next time.

I finished cooking at 6:30, ate dinner at 7:30 I think, so that's one more hour of resting.

During this resting, I opened the oven door to reduce temperature because I did not want it cooked any more (already at 140). After one hour in room temperature, the outside crust seem to be at room temperature as well. Is this right? I seem to remember restaurants keeping the whole piece of meat somewhat warm...

Another question - what's the best way to heat up leftovers and what are the common ways to have it (sandwiches?)? I have about 1/2 lbs left, mostly the end part so a bit more dry.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
My local supermarket did not have rib roast; just rib steaks. Maybe they only put out rib roast during holidays? I didn't ask because I knew Costco would have it and I was going there. Will check with supermarket's meat staff next time.

I finished cooking at 6:30, ate dinner at 7:30 I think, so that's one more hour of resting.

During this resting, I opened the oven door to reduce temperature because I did not want it cooked any more (already at 140). After one hour in room temperature, the outside crust seem to be at room temperature as well. Is this right? I seem to remember restaurants keeping the whole piece of meat somewhat warm...

Another question - what's the best way to heat up leftovers and what are the common ways to have it (sandwiches?)? I have about 1/2 lbs left, mostly the end part so a bit more dry.
Maybe you'll have luck with the supermarkets for a good quality cut - but I was suggesting looking around town for a specialty butcher shop where all they do is meats.

For leftovers in my family it's usually a repeat dinner #2 using the (gasp) microwave, or cold sandwiches or a hot sandwich on a roll with grilled onions, melted cheese, maybe some horseradish.

Omelets are *killer* with diced roast beef, green onion & tomato, cheddar cheese.

Even quesadillas with diced roast beef and cheese are good with fresh salsa & guacamole.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Quote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying it rested in the oven?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

if this was a roast.....taking it out at 140f and letting it set.... (20 minutes to 1/2 is fine...hour is too long) the roast will keep cooking to 150f if medium is what you like that's fine
if medium rare is what you want...take out at 130-135f then let set for 20 minutes

we use to cook a whole 7 rib and id try to pull out just in time...…. 125f and it would still cook on counter to 135-138 medium rare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes