Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 10:29 AM

497 posts, read 387,460 times

Advertisements

My family loves this 3-layered dessert! With it's slightly sweet graham cracker crust, it's delectable cream cheese filling, and the yummy rhubarb-strawberry-gelatin topping, it's one of those desserts you just can't resist. I look forward every Summer to make this dessert.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Torte

Prep Time: 2 hrs. & 55 mins. (Prep time also includes cooling and chilling)

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Crumb Mixture:
1-1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened

Cream Cheese Filling:
2 large eggs, beaten well
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Rhubarb Topping:
5 cups (1-1/2 lbs.) thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 (3 oz.) box strawberry gelatin

To make the crumb mixture: In a bowl, add the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter; mix well. (I used a fork to mix the ingredients together.) Press the crumb mixture in the bottom of a greased 11x7-inch glass baking dish. (I didn't grease the bottom of the baking dish, and I didn't have a problem removing the torte.)

At this point, preheat the oven to 350ºF.

To make the cream cheese filling: In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in the eggs. Finally beat in the sugar and extract, until mixture is creamy and smooth. Pour the filling over the crumb mixture, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

After removing the baking dish from oven, allow to cool at room temperature for 2 hours. (But, after cooling for 30 minutes, start preparing the rhubarb topping.)

To make the rhubarb topping: In a 3-quart saucepan, add the rhubarb, sugar, and water. (You may not think a 1/4 cup of water is not enough to cook the rhubarb, but trust me it is.) Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes; stirring continuously. Lower the heat to a simmer, and continue cooking for 5 minutes; stirring continuously. Add the gelatin powder, and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Once the rhubarb mixture has cooled, place the saucepan in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes, then pour the mixture over the cream cheese filling.

Place the baking dish back in the refrigerator, and chill the dessert for 3 hours before slicing and serving.

Yields: 12 servings

Note: This is one dessert that doesn't need to be covered while stored in the refrigerator. (Refrigerate any leftovers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Since posting this recipe, and making this dessert numerous times, I have made a few adjustments to the recipe.

When making the Crumb Mixture: I now use 1-1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, plus 1 more tablespoon of the sugar, and 9 tablespoons of melted butter. Be sure to use melted butter when making the crumb mixture! I found the slightly thicker crust works so much better for this recipe.

Also, when making the rhubarb topping, and placing the saucepan in the refrigerator to chill, chill it for 20 minutes, instead of 15 minutes, and before pouring the mixture over the cream cheese filling.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Looks good, thanks!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DomesticGoddess View Post
My family loves this 3-layered dessert! With it's slightly sweet graham cracker crust, it's delectable cream cheese filling, and the yummy rhubarb-strawberry-gelatin topping, it's one of those desserts you just can't resist. I look forward every Summer to make this dessert.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Torte

Prep Time: 2 hrs. & 55 mins. (Prep time also includes cooling and chilling)

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Crumb Mixture:
1-1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened

Cream Cheese Filling:
2 large eggs, beaten well
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Rhubarb Topping:
5 cups (1-1/2 lbs.) thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 (3 oz.) box strawberry gelatin

To make the crumb mixture: In a bowl, add the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter; mix well. (I used a fork to mix the ingredients together.) Press the crumb mixture in the bottom of a greased 11x7-inch glass baking dish. (I didn't grease the bottom of the baking dish, and I didn't have a problem removing the torte.)

At this point, preheat the oven to 350ºF.

To make the cream cheese filling: In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in the eggs. Finally beat in the sugar and extract, until mixture is creamy and smooth. Pour the filling over the crumb mixture, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

After removing the baking dish from oven, allow to cool at room temperature for 2 hours. (But, after cooling for 30 minutes, start preparing the rhubarb topping.)

To make the rhubarb topping: In a 3-quart saucepan, add the rhubarb, sugar, and water. (You may not think a 1/4 cup of water is not enough to cook the rhubarb, but trust me it is.) Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes; stirring continuously. Lower the heat to a simmer, and continue cooking for 5 minutes; stirring continuously. Add the gelatin powder, and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Once the rhubarb mixture has cooled, place the saucepan in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes, then pour the mixture over the cream cheese filling.

Place the baking dish back in the refrigerator, and chill the dessert for 3 hours before slicing and serving.

Yields: 12 servings

Note: This is one dessert that doesn't need to be covered while stored in the refrigerator. (Refrigerate any leftovers.)
Oh my gosh, that sounds to good to be true. Too bad Rhubarb here is so expensive and not available except for a couple of weeks a year. Now, I am going to check at Aldi's today and see if they have any.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my gosh, that sounds to good to be true. Too bad Rhubarb here is so expensive and not available except for a couple of weeks a year. Now, I am going to check at Aldi's today and see if they have any.
Do you have some yard space?
Next year consider growing rhubarb. Its quite cool looking with its red stems and great big leaves.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where I live, it can be purchased at the Farmers Market during Summer. But luckily my daughter Jenny has a garden full of rhubarb which she shares with us.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Do you have some yard space?
Next year consider growing rhubarb. Its quite cool looking with its red stems and great big leaves.
bg7, Since I've never had good luck in growing it, and my daughter Jenny does. She always shares rhubarb with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes