Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

I've seen two different cooking shows where the cook was criticized for their butter cream frosting being too sweet.

How the heck do you make butter cream frosting that is not "too sweet" since butter cream is basically just butter and powdered sugar. It's going to be sweet no matter what you do, unless you substitute corn starch for the powdered sugar (bletch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 11:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,059 times
Our family doesn't like super cloyingly sweet frosting. Typically I cut back the amount of powered sugar. If the recipe calls for 4 cups, I'll use 3 to 3 1/4 cups. It still whips up nicely, and tastes great, just not as sweet.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:37 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Our family doesn't like super cloyingly sweet frosting. Typically I cut back the amount of powered sugar. If the recipe calls for 4 cups, I'll use 3 to 3 1/4 cups. It still whips up nicely, and tastes great, just not as sweet.
I do the same for all recipes that use regular or confectioner sugar and never have a problem.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:30 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I do the same for all recipes that use regular or confectioner sugar and never have a problem.
I do that too with different things. There's a big difference between too sweet and just sweet enough.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
I used to live near an Italian bakery that made incredibly smooth, rich, not-very-sweet buttercream icing. Always wondered why American “buttercream” was so sickeningly sweet. Later I found that French buttercream frosting also blew away the American so-called buttercream.

Reason: The Italian and French buttercreams really are very different recipes from the typical American ones. A quick look at the recipes will make it obvious. The Euro stuff places the emphasis on creamy richness instead of sugar overload.

I don’t bake cakes but for any recipes involving sweeteners, I alway reduce the amount of sugar by at least a third, and in some cases it can even be omitted. Frosting would not be a good candidate for total elimination of sugar, though.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:51 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,913 times
There's german.buttercream as well that's not so sweet.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
The secret is to add a punch of salt to the frosting.

It cuts the sweetness.

I believe I got this from The Pioneer Woman, or Martha Stewart, I can't remember which one, but it works.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've seen two different cooking shows where the cook was criticized for their butter cream frosting being too sweet.

How the heck do you make butter cream frosting that is not "too sweet" since butter cream is basically just butter and powdered sugar. It's going to be sweet no matter what you do, unless you substitute corn starch for the powdered sugar (bletch).
American buttercream is cloyingly sweet and extremely rich, but can often be an excellent component if the cake or whatever dessert it’s paired with has sharp or bold flavors that cut the sweetness (think citrus, passion fruit, ginger, dark chocolate, etc) When someone is criticized for the buttercream being too sweet it’s usually because there isn’t enough balance in flavors so the focus is on the sweetest part of the dessert (the buttercream), and/or maybe they should have gone with another style of buttercream.

Swiss buttercream, Italian buttercream and French buttercream are all way less sweet and lighter than American buttercream. That’s why they are often preferred by professional pastry chefs (particularly Swiss buttercream). There are also other variants such as German and flour buttercream which are also less sweet.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

It cuts the sweetness.

I believe I got this from The Pioneer Woman, or Martha Stewart, I can't remember which one, but it works.
I'm sure you meant a "pinch" ...

...and maybe a dash of fresh lemon juice. My grandma put a dash or two of fresh lemon juice in pretty much everything because she didn't like anything overly sweet.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:32 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

It cuts the sweetness.

*pinch (not punch)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes