Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 05:53 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

I use beef, pork and veal mix in my chili now but used to use all ground beef. ( 2lbs)
I buy the chili seasoning packet (mild, medium or hot) McCormick
2 cans drained rinsed kidney beans
1 small chopped onion
28 ounce can tomato puree
shredded cheddar for topping
Brown the meat and drain it, then sauté the onions add back the drained beef remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. I like my chili a bit saucy because we like it over spaghetti the next night. You can add hot peppers to this, smoked paprika, or any other spices to doctor this up. We like it as is. I have have served this over rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,070,996 times
I made chili beans and taco soup today at the request of my 90 yr old friend. (jack lalanne clone lol)

And when I add the beans or corn. etc...I never drain the liquid.

I noticed someone above did. Is it common to do so?

Old 12-08-2020, 08:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I made chili beans and taco soup today at the request of my 90 yr old friend. (jack lalanne clone lol)

And when I add the beans or corn. etc...I never drain the liquid.

I noticed someone above did. Is it common to do so?
I also drain and rinse and drain again with the beans. I don’t like the smell of the canned vegetable liquid. I do not rinse or drain the tomatoes.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:47 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I love Cincinnati chili even though some will argue it's not really chili.
That's German Chili. Essentially ground beef and brown gravy over spaghetti like noodles. Not Tex/Mex Chili.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:56 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's German Chili. Essentially ground beef and brown gravy over spaghetti like noodles. Not Tex/Mex Chili.
I make it in the crock pot and let it simmer slowly all day. I also add a couple of tablespoons of flour to make it thicker and eat it by the bowl. I've discovered that no matter what kind of chili I make, it's always better in the crock pot where the flavors mesh slowly after several hours.

I have a book "Heartland, The Best of Old and New from Midwest Kitchens" by Marcia Adams published in 1991. It has a very good recipe for Cincinnati chili which uses equal amounts of beef and pork, among other amazing recipes.

Last edited by marino760; 12-09-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I love Cincinnati chili even though some will argue it's not really chili.
It has beef, spices, onions ... but no tomatoes, just tomato paste.

This recipe is from the Cincinnati Recipe Treasury - it has allspice, cinnamon and cocoa powder:

2-3 pounds ground beef
1 quart cold water
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 T vinegar
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T chili powder
5 bay leaves
2 T cinnamon
1 t allspice
2 cayenne peppers
1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa
salt and pepper to taste

Crumble the ground beef into the water; bring to a boil, breaking up the beef as it cooks. Add the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 2 or more hours, stirring occasionally.

A lot of folks I know will let the chili sit overnight in the fridge, and then skim the fat off the top before reheating. Or you can serve it right from the pot; when I do that, I use beef with a lower fat content.

Serve the chili on an oval dish over cooked spaghetti. Add shredded cheddar cheese for a 3-way; chopped onions or beans for a 4-way; and chopped onions and beans for a 5-way. Serve with oyster crackers to sop up the sauce - it makes a sloppy chili.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Cincinnati chili actually is a variation of a Greek stew. The first chili parlor in Cincinnati was owned by Tom Kiradjieff, a Greek immigrant.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:34 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Yes. This is what I have been doing, the McCormick seasoning packet, and adding my own touches. After reading some of the other recipes, I think this one is to my liking. I really don`t care for some of the spices used, so I think I will stick with the old standby.......if it isn`t broken....don`t fix it.
Me too! I won 3rd place in a chili cook off with it.

2 packets McCormick Original
1-2# ground beef or pork
28 oz crushed tomatoes
15 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans kidney beans, undrained.

Brown the ground beef, dump in everything else. Simmer 30 minutes. Done.

I always make Ina Garten’s jalapeño cheddar corn bread with it.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Grand Prize Chili...a Texas State Fair winner...Ray Calhoun, from "Southwest Tastes"

1/4 C Veg oil
3 lbs chuck or round in 1/4" cubes
1 fine chopped onion
4 fine chopped garlic cloves
1 T Paprika
5-6 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 t oregano
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 t salt
1 C water
1 jalapeno
3 C cooked pintos
1 C cheese.

In dutch oven, heat oil, cook beef, add onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes. Add paprika, chili powder, cumin and oregano, cook 5 minutes, add tomato sauce, salt and water. Bring to boil, simmer 2 hours, adding more water as needed.
Place cooked beans in bottom of serving bowl, ladle on chili, top with grated onion and cheese.

Serve with; Jalapeno Corn Bread (from Y.O. Ranch, Mountain Home TX)

2 fine chopped jalapenos
1 17oz can creamed corn
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
2 eggs
3/4 C buttermilk
1/3 C oil
1 C grated cheese
2 C cornmeal ( I use 1 1/2 C cornmeal, 1/2 C flour)

Add cornmeal and cheese last, cook at 350 degrees in a greased 12x17 baking pan, 30-40 minutes (or longer...use toothpick test)

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-10-2020, 07:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
my mothers chilli was hormel from the can and add potatoes to it . I have hated chilli ever since and refuse to touch it to this day . My husband is a cincinatti skyline chilli eater dont like that either .

Old 12-12-2020, 08:41 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Making chili today, with ground turkey. I am going to use the old stand by McCormik seasoning packet, and add my own touches. See what happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes