Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 05:41 AM

808 posts, read 540,532 times

Advertisements

I figure it is either because I didn't cook it long enough, or I need to add more mustard.

I followed the recipe, which I've used before. I always modify it a bit. This time I used honey.
So it doesn't seem like I would need to add more mustard.
I'm not even sure if the powdered mustard is what thickens it up.

I simmer-boiled it on the stove for more than 15 minutes, and it didn't seem to be getting any thicker after about 10 minutes. I kept on boiling it for a bit more, because it was so runny. But eventually, it seemed like it wasn't going to get any thicker.

Anyone here experience with this issue?

Many thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
I’ve never made my own mustard other than an uncooked version for egg rolls (equal parts Coleman’s and water), but yes the mustard powder acts as a thickener.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:58 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times
Don’t boil your mustard: warm up your brine so the sugar, salt, honey if using able to dissolve.
Add a warmed up pickle juice ( with or without vinegar in it- depending on your preference)- optional-
- and add a little bit of warm brine at a time to your dry mustard -a glass jar?- while mixing the mustard and breaking the clumps.

Stop adding the brine when the mustard nearly the consistency you like.
Some like to add a bit of neutrally tasting oil - it stops the mustard from developing too much heat while “curing”.

Cover the container and put it in a warm place.
The mustard will be ready the next day or so. The bitterness will disappear and a deep flavor develop in 2-3 days or so. Keep it tightly closed, otherwise the kick of “the heat” would disappear
Vinegar does the same as oil: stops further heat developing- but not everyone prefers vinegar- this is the reason some make their own mustard.
Experiment to find the best recipe for your taste with the same ingredients

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-19-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes