Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 09:14 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,110 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use vital wheat gluten in their bread recipes? What does it do?

I'm asking because I have been making these German Soft Pretzels:
German Style Pretzel Recipe

I love them, but one of my kids prefers Wetzel's Pretzels (from the currently-closed mall), so I'm on a quest to duplicate them.

I was wondering if adding vital wheat gluten would make my pretzels more chewy, which is what I think I'm aiming for. I already use King Arthur Bread Flour in the recipe, so I'm unsure about adding more gluten...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 09:37 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Yeah, I use it to tweak the tooth of my whole wheat bread.

Looking quickly at that pretzel recipe, I would first try just using 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 bread flour first, and mixing until the gluten strands started to develop. If you do add gluten, just use a very small amount in your first tests - maybe a teaspoon or two. Too much and you'll end up with dog chew toys.

Edit to add: I would find a way to sneak in a tablespoon or two of rye flour for added flavor, but that is just me.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yeah, I use it to tweak the tooth of my whole wheat bread.

Looking quickly at that pretzel recipe, I would first try just using 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 bread flour first, and mixing until the gluten strands started to develop. If you do add gluten, just use a very small amount in your first tests - maybe a teaspoon or two. Too much and you'll end up with dog chew toys.

Edit to add: I would find a way to sneak in a tablespoon or two of rye flour for added flavor, but that is just me.
Thanks, harry!

What do you mean by tweaking the tooth? Do you mean chewier?

Some things I've read say that adding gluten makes things more elastic (which, to me, sounds like chewier) and other things say the added gluten makes bread softer (which, to me, sounds like the opposite).

Old 12-18-2020, 04:28 AM

You have it right. I'm not sure where gluten would make things less chewy unless it was not mixed much at all.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:21 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
I wonder if what they mean by strong white flour is a flour with a higher protein content like bread flour. I use vital wheat gluten when a recipe calls for bread flour because I don't want to keep both types of flour on hand (I have limited space). So, I buy vital wheat gluten and add it to AP flour - about a tablespoon per 3 cups of flour.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You have it right. I'm not sure where gluten would make things less chewy unless it was not mixed much at all.
OK, cool. I may just give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I wonder if what they mean by strong white flour is a flour with a higher protein content like bread flour. I use vital wheat gluten when a recipe calls for bread flour because I don't want to keep both types of flour on hand (I have limited space). So, I buy vital wheat gluten and add it to AP flour - about a tablespoon per 3 cups of flour.
Yes, "strong" means bread flour in this case (I guess it's more of a British term), and that's what I've been using for these pretzels. They are yummy as is...was just wondering about adding the gluten to make them a bit chewier (without going overboard, that is).

Thanks, both of you, for the info!

Old 12-18-2020, 11:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 665,727 times
I primarily bake sourdough breads and baked goods but I will occasionally use yeast. But I typically use 100% whole grain red wheat and rye flours that are home-milled. Rye and whole grain wheat flours have low gluten content and used alone makes for a dense, and heavy loaf. So I use a tablespoon of wheat gluten per 2 - 3 cups of my flour. This gives me the same great taste, a lighter texture, and a much better rise.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
OK, cool. I may just give it a try.

Yes, "strong" means bread flour in this case (I guess it's more of a British term), and that's what I've been using for these pretzels. They are yummy as is...was just wondering about adding the gluten to make them a bit chewier (without going overboard, that is).

Thanks, both of you, for the info!
Interesting use of the term. I, too, am curious about VWG because I like to make bread with a high proportion of whole wheat flour to white bread flour. One website advised keeping the whole wheat proportion to a max of 50%. Higher than that, they advise adding VWG.

I’ve been using 50/50 for pan-fried bread and baked crusty rolls, but I use 57% whole wheat to 43% for baking a loaf. All turn out delicious, but I would like a little more elasticity in the loaf. I could dial the proportion of whole wheat flour down to 50%, but the white bread flour is far less nutritious (less fiber and 2 grams protein per quarter cup white bread flour vs 7 grams per quarter cup for the Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat flour I use).

There isn’t a huge difference in elasticity between the 50/50 mix and the 57/43 but obviously it’s enough for me to want to tweak it just a bit to make the loaf perfect.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Interesting use of the term. I, too, am curious about VWG because I like to make bread with a high proportion of whole wheat flour to white bread flour. One website advised keeping the whole wheat proportion to a max of 50%. Higher than that, they advise adding VWG.

I’ve been using 50/50 for pan-fried bread and baked crusty rolls, but I use 57% whole wheat to 43% for baking a loaf. All turn out delicious, but I would like a little more elasticity in the loaf. I could dial the proportion of whole wheat flour down to 50%, but the white bread flour is far less nutritious (less fiber and 2 grams protein per quarter cup white bread flour vs 7 grams per quarter cup for the Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat flour I use).

There isn’t a huge difference in elasticity between the 50/50 mix and the 57/43 but obviously it’s enough for me to want to tweak it just a bit to make the loaf perfect.
Hmmm. The gluten IS the primary protein in flour. A quick look at my bags shows King Arthur whole wheat flour is 14% protein and King Arthur bread flour is 12.7% protein. If you have that much of a disparity, you might have a "White Lilly" or other southern bread flour, which is NOT made from hard red wheat. (and is why southern biscuits are better than ones made in the north)

This is a slight variation of a recipe that my wife worked on for a couple of years to tweak it to her satisfaction and my needs:

1 Tbs dry active yeast
2.5 cu KA bread flour
1.5 cu KA whole wheat flour

2 slightly rounded Tbs turbinado sugar (or "sugar in the raw")
1.5 Tbs dry milk powder
2 Tbs wheat bran
2 Tbs gluten
1 scant Tbs or less sea salt

Liquids
2 Tbs grapeseed oil
1 large egg
water to add to the wet cup until just under 1 2/3 cu total liquid
Stir and then warm water mix in microwave for 23 seconds

The dry and then wet go into a bread machine, with the initial mixing coaxed with a bamboo skewer. After about three or four minutes the ball will tell you if it wants more water or more flour.

Once mixed, you can allow the first rise in the bread machine or proof it and punch down.

I use two smallish greased or sprayed bread pans and divide the ball, let them rise in the pans about 45 min. and then bake on convection bake for about 17 min at 380F +- (depending on the oven). The small slices of bread are only about 2/3 the size of puffed up store bread but have more actual bread in them.

Flip finished loaves out on cooling rack to rest.

The total amount of bran is greater than in many WW loaves, but it doesn't scream out at you. Add a tad more gluten if you want a less dense loaf (but there are limits).

I often mix up a big batch of all the dry ingredients but the yeast, and scoop out about 4.25 cups and just mix in the wets.

I have nothing against Bob's Red Mill, but King Arthur is THE flour source for good flour. They also have a free help line if you need it.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. The gluten IS the primary protein in flour. A quick look at my bags shows King Arthur whole wheat flour is 14% protein and King Arthur bread flour is 12.7% protein. If you have that much of a disparity, you might have a "White Lilly" or other southern bread flour, which is NOT made from hard red wheat. (and is why southern biscuits are better than ones made in the north)

This is a slight variation of a recipe that my wife worked on for a couple of years to tweak it to her satisfaction and my needs:

1 Tbs dry active yeast
2.5 cu KA bread flour
1.5 cu KA whole wheat flour

2 slightly rounded Tbs turbinado sugar (or "sugar in the raw")
1.5 Tbs dry milk powder
2 Tbs wheat bran
2 Tbs gluten
1 scant Tbs or less sea salt

Liquids
2 Tbs grapeseed oil
1 large egg
water to add to the wet cup until just under 1 2/3 cu total liquid
Stir and then warm water mix in microwave for 23 seconds

The dry and then wet go into a bread machine, with the initial mixing coaxed with a bamboo skewer. After about three or four minutes the ball will tell you if it wants more water or more flour.

Once mixed, you can allow the first rise in the bread machine or proof it and punch down.

I use two smallish greased or sprayed bread pans and divide the ball, let them rise in the pans about 45 min. and then bake on convection bake for about 17 min at 380F +- (depending on the oven). The small slices of bread are only about 2/3 the size of puffed up store bread but have more actual bread in them.

Flip finished loaves out on cooling rack to rest.

The total amount of bran is greater than in many WW loaves, but it doesn't scream out at you. Add a tad more gluten if you want a less dense loaf (but there are limits).

I often mix up a big batch of all the dry ingredients but the yeast, and scoop out about 4.25 cups and just mix in the wets.

I have nothing against Bob's Red Mill, but King Arthur is THE flour source for good flour. They also have a free help line if you need it.
Ooooooh! Thanks for the recipe & directions, harry. Sounds delicious and totally do-able!

I love KA flours...and their website & on-line recipes and tips, too.

Can't rep you again or enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes