Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 09:05 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarkostin View Post
Guys, thanks for the good recipes. I rarely cook, but I always try to cook something tasty and unusual. I love pastries and sweets, as well as meat dishes. If I liked the recipe, then I save it to my bookmarks. I also use a recipe cards maker to design nicely. A little later, I can throw off a photo of my dish.
If you're looking for a great way to organize and save recipes, look at CopyMeThat.com The free version is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 05:10 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
It's fresh tomato season in the Midwest.

You know that dish with the elbow macaroni, onions, hamburger and tomatoes that we call goulash or hotdish? At this time of year I like to make it with fresh tomatoes.

I add a can of tomato paste or sauce, depending on your preference, a generous squeeze of ketchup and peeled diced fresh tomatoes uncooked, then bake or heat.

Season with your preferences.

Humble but tasty.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:23 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

You know that dish with the elbow macaroni, onions, hamburger and tomatoes that we call goulash or hotdish? At this time of year I like to make it with fresh tomatoes.

I add a can of tomato paste or sauce, depending on your preference, a generous squeeze of ketchup and peeled diced fresh tomatoes uncooked, then bake or heat.

Humble but tasty.
That’s American Chop Suey in New England. I bet it would be great with fresh tomatoes.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:

Humble but tasty.
Yes! It's perfect tomato season here! These are the tomatoes you want all year. Right now in most of the Midwest, they are sweet, juicy and plentiful.

I know this recipe - sometimes called American Chop suey or goulash, here in Ohio, they call it a Johnny Marzetti. Story goes, a little restaurant in Columbus, near OSU had to come up with a cheap, filling food for Ohio State Students. It was named for a family member.

I guess these were the days before pizza and fast food. Here's a version that is close to what I have made - it's filling, tasty, and probably not authentically Italian - but it tastes so good.

https://gypsyplate.com/johnny-marzetti/

Great to make in the winter! But now I'd rather have my tomatoes sliced, on a sturdy bread, with Euro butter, salt and cracked black pepper.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:38 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Interesting info about the name of the dish, sheena. I have wondered about that.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! It's perfect tomato season here! These are the tomatoes you want all year. Right now in most of the Midwest, they are sweet, juicy and plentiful.

I know this recipe - sometimes called American Chop suey or goulash, here in Ohio, they call it a Johnny Marzetti. Story goes, a little restaurant in Columbus, near OSU had to come up with a cheap, filling food for Ohio State Students. It was named for a family member.

I guess these were the days before pizza and fast food. Here's a version that is close to what I have made - it's filling, tasty, and probably not authentically Italian - but it tastes so good.

https://gypsyplate.com/johnny-marzetti/

Great to make in the winter! But now I'd rather have my tomatoes sliced, on a sturdy bread, with Euro butter, salt and cracked black pepper.
That is a bit different from the NE version. We never had peppers or mushrooms in ours and not Italian herbs or cheese either. It was soupier than spaghetti and contained mostly canned tomatoes and sometimes broth.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:30 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is a bit different from the NE version. We never had peppers or mushrooms in ours and not Italian herbs or cheese either. It was soupier than spaghetti and contained mostly canned tomatoes and sometimes broth.
I am from NE to. My mom made goulish all the time. It was plain and simple.....hamburg, canned tomatoes, and it had to be elbow macroni. The soupier the better.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I am from NE to. My mom made goulish all the time. It was plain and simple.....hamburg, canned tomatoes, and it had to be elbow macroni. The soupier the better.
Yes, it’s not an Italian dish.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:11 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, it’s not an Italian dish.
Just plain good old fashion comfort food.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,530 times
Quote:
This is my new rhubarb scone recipe. It's supposed to have a caramel glaze on top but that is totally unnecessary.

RHUBARB GINGER SCONES
• 3 stalks rhubarb
• 2 1/2*cups flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (Or plain and add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to batter.)
• 2/3 cup heavy cream (up to 3/4 cup)
• Chopped candied ginger

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Slice rhubarb stalks 1/4 " thick pieces. Toss with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl or bowl of food processor.
4. Cut butter into flour mixture by hand until butter is the size of small peas.
5. Blend in the sugar.
6. Blend in sliced rhubarb.
7. Blend in cream until a soft dough forms. (note: you may need to add more than 2/3 cup depending on the weather, etc.)
8. Transfer dough to floured surface and divide in half. To make triangular scones, flatten into 6-inch disks and cut each circle into 6-8 scones. Sprinkle with extra turbinado sugar.
9. Refrigerate 30 min.
10. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet 1/3 in. apart and bake about 20 minutes or until reddish-brown on top.

I also add a sufficient amount of chopped nuts. Walnuts or pecans.
I think I'm in love : ) Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes