Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 03:08 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I’ve recently dabbled in frostings. I made italian buttercream, and it was pretty good...kind of like marshmallow.

I see that there is Italian, Swiss, French, and Ermine(flour) versions of frostings, so next time I make a cake, I’ll try a different one.

What frosting recipe do you like best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the thread, GA:)

My favorite one is probably cream cheese frosting.

Combine cream cheese & BUTTER (no margarine) I use more cream cheese than butter.
A bit of lime juice squeezed in, a bit of REAL vanilla beans,
a bit of powdered sugar. You taste along the way until you get the consistency you like.
Since Carrot cake & Banana breads are some of my favorite cakes/breads to make, they all go well together
My Mother always made Carrot Cakes for all of our Birthdays with this frosting, so I guess that is
why I enjoy it so much

I also like to use mascarpone cheese, anything with lots of FAT in it makes a great frosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve recently dabbled in frostings. I made italian buttercream, and it was pretty good...kind of like marshmallow.

I see that there is Italian, Swiss, French, and Ermine(flour) versions of frostings, so next time I make a cake, I’ll try a different one.

What frosting recipe do you like best?

Old 01-10-2021, 09:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
My daughter just made Swiss buttercream for the first time in her life, and it turned out perfect. I bought her a boxed set of Russian piping tips for a Christmas gift, and she used them to decorate lemon flavored cupcakes. They were gorgeous and delicious, all in one. We all dislike American buttercream, even by reducing the quantity of powdered sugar the recipe calls for its still too sweet.

I love making cream cheese frosting too, super easy and I use about half the quantity of powdered sugar - still comes out sweet and tasty! We love carrot cake, been a fan since the early 80s. We also use it for pumpkin loaf.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:21 AM

That’s a gift I would love, too. They make a cupcake so pretty.

I like cream cheese frosting too, and have made it many times. It’s the frostings that get cooked that I need to practice making....and I never even heard of the Ermine one before.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:43 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
My favorite one is probably cream cheese frosting.

Combine cream cheese & BUTTER (no margarine) I use more cream cheese than butter.
A bit of lime juice squeezed in, a bit of REAL vanilla beans,
a bit of powdered sugar. You taste along the way until you get the consistency you like.
Since Carrot cake & Banana breads are some of my favorite cakes/breads to make, they all go well together
My Mother always made Carrot Cakes for all of our Birthdays with this frosting, so I guess that is
why I enjoy it so much

I also like to use mascarpone cheese, anything with lots of FAT in it makes a great frosting
Sounds like a good idea to put some lime in it to cut the richness, I'm going to try it next time I make a carrot cake.

Mom didn't bake much but I remember her making a beaten egg white frosting that you whipped with am electric mixer and added a hot sugar syrup. It came out looking a bit like meringue. Very pretty. Too sweet for me.

Another thing she did which I just loved was a lazy daisy topping on a plain yellow cake. That was a big deal in the Fifties. It was brown sugar, butter, walnuts and coconut spread on top and then broiled. Made a caramelly, candy like topping.

I'm not someone who eats the cake for the frosting. I do love a good ganache, whipped cream (flavored or plain,) a glaze, streusel or a drizzly sauce on top.

Now I've just learned about ermine frosting. Something new! I keep thinking the flour would affect the flavor. Let us know.

That's the thing about many decorated cakes - they look beautiful but the necessaries for a frosting that will make shapes often creates an unpleasant flavor/mouth feel for me.

But I'm no expert. I don't care much for cake and only do a couple well.

Edited to add:

Curious, I looked up the history of the lazy daisy cake topping and see it's much older than I thought. But it had been forgotten and reintroduced by the Quaker Oats Company in the Fifties. Hmm. I'll bet they sneaked some of their oats into the recipe!

https://quaintcooking.com/2020/05/01...zy-daisy-cake/

Old 01-11-2021, 04:16 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Seven minute frosting is an old-style cooked frosting.
https://www.southernplate.com/7-minute-frosting/

Old 01-12-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Sounds like a good idea to put some lime in it to cut the richness, I'm going to try it next time I make a carrot cake.

Mom didn't bake much but I remember her making a beaten egg white frosting that you whipped with am electric mixer and added a hot sugar syrup. It came out looking a bit like meringue. Very pretty. Too sweet for me.

Another thing she did which I just loved was a lazy daisy topping on a plain yellow cake. That was a big deal in the Fifties. It was brown sugar, butter, walnuts and coconut spread on top and then broiled. Made a caramelly, candy like topping.

I'm not someone who eats the cake for the frosting. I do love a good ganache, whipped cream (flavored or plain,) a glaze, streusel or a drizzly sauce on top.

Now I've just learned about ermine frosting. Something new! I keep thinking the flour would affect the flavor. Let us know.

That's the thing about many decorated cakes - they look beautiful but the necessaries for a frosting that will make shapes often creates an unpleasant flavor/mouth feel for me.

But I'm no expert. I don't care much for cake and only do a couple well.

Edited to add:

Curious, I looked up the history of the lazy daisy cake topping and see it's much older than I thought. But it had been forgotten and reintroduced by the Quaker Oats Company in the Fifties. Hmm. I'll bet they sneaked some of their oats into the recipe!

https://quaintcooking.com/2020/05/01...zy-daisy-cake/
I hadn’t heard of the Lazy Daisy topping before, but it’s like the Bisquick Velvet Crumb Cake topping we had in the 50s-60s.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:37 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hadn’t heard of the Lazy Daisy topping before, but it’s like the Bisquick Velvet Crumb Cake topping we had in the 50s-60s.
You're right, it is. I think mom used a yellow cake mix but the original came out of the south and was made from scratch with scalded milk.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:06 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
For cakes and cupcakes, I use a custard-based frosting that's not super sweet. I save the buttercream frosting for cookies and brownies.

This is the closest I could find to my mom's recipe for custard frosting without running downstairs (Zoom work meeting starts in 10 minutes!). Mom subs butter for Crisco, and granulated sugar (beaten well!)n for powdered sugar.

https://www.roadleadinghome.com/2016...nnsylvania-if/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Seven minute frosting is an old-style cooked frosting.
https://www.southernplate.com/7-minute-frosting/
I haven't made that in ages. Yum.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:33 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I usually like cream cheese frosting on red velvet and strawberry cakes. I also plan on making a spice cake with it. For yellow cakes, I usually go with a chocolate frosting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes