Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 PM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times

Advertisements

I make an artichoke pie. It's a quiche using artichokes, salami, mozzarella and eggs, garlic and grated cheese but if you are vegetarian leave out the salami. The recipe is on here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 08:03 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I make an artichoke pie. It's a quiche using artichokes, salami, mozzarella and eggs, garlic and grated cheese but if you are vegetarian leave out the salami. The recipe is on here somewhere.
That sounds good too. I use vegetarian salami which gives the same taste. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:06 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I usually steam them, with a few lemon slices in the water underneath the basket. I melt butter and stir in some Vegeta or Maggi powdered seasoning, for dipping the individual leaves. I trim off the pokey parts before serving, of course Best part is getting down to the heart, scraping out the fluff, and eating the disc and stem.
This one sounds good too, but I can't rep you yet, but I will when I can.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:31 PM

802 posts, read 644,511 times
Steam them, covered, in the microwave for 8 to 10 minutes. Let them sit for another 5 minutes. Dip the leaves in mayo and scrape the meat off with your teeth. I eat the heart (remove the feathery stuff with a spoon) and stem, too.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 673,645 times
I love artichokes! I've had them just about anyway you can make them and I have never had them prepared where I didn't enjoy them. But my first experiences with artichokes (made by my grandmother) and by far my absolute favorite way is stuffed artichokes. My grandma had trays of stuffed artichokes for every family holiday meal, plus birthdays! She steamed them in a lemony, garlicy water bath. Then as they cooled she stuffed them with a breadcrumb, Romano, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil stuffing. They were then put in roaster pans with some of the steaming liquid, a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice and baked until slightly browned and tender. This is the ultimate comfort food for me! And since becoming plant-based I continue to tweak our grandma's recipe to stay close to the taste yet be strictly plant-based.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:04 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,286,924 times
I trim about an inch of the tops off, slice off the stem and trim the dried end off and most of the outer tough part and throw that in to cook, too. It's basically an extension of the heart of the artichoke. The very outer leaves are usually pretty inedible even after cooking, so I take those off beforehand, too. I always tell myself that cuts down on some cooking time.

I usually am cooking only one because my SO isn't as gaga about them as I am. I use a small saucepan and just put enough water at the bottom to steam it. (Someone else mentioned water sapping out the flavor, so I should probably think about putting something at the bottom of the pan to raise it out of the water.) I flavor the water with salt (as you would pasta water), garlic powder, a squeeze of lemon (keeps the color nice), and a little dash of canola oil. Just season the water to taste.

Put the artichoke and stem in and bring water to a boil and turn down to a healthy simmer. Depending on the size, cook for about 45 minutes to an hour. Leaves should pull out easily when done.

I grew up eating them with mayo, so that's my preferred dip, but someone mentioned adding a little bit of balsamic to it. I tried it and now I love it that way.

Some people spread the leaves at the top and take out the choke before cooking. I think it's easier to just take it off once you get down to the heart while eating it.

Some people also quarter the artichoke lengthwise before cooking, take out the choke then, and then season and roast them, or even stuff them with seasoned bread crumbs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I usually steam them, with a few lemon slices in the water underneath the basket. I melt butter and stir in some Vegeta or Maggi powdered seasoning, for dipping the individual leaves. I trim off the pokey parts before serving, of course Best part is getting down to the heart, scraping out the fluff, and eating the disc and stem.
I used to always trim those off before cooking, but I think it was someone here on CD who said that it's not necessary, that the cooking process softens them. I tried it and it works.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I love artichokes! I've had them just about anyway you can make them and I have never had them prepared where I didn't enjoy them. But my first experiences with artichokes (made by my grandmother) and by far my absolute favorite way is stuffed artichokes. My grandma had trays of stuffed artichokes for every family holiday meal, plus birthdays! She steamed them in a lemony, garlicy water bath. Then as they cooled she stuffed them with a breadcrumb, Romano, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil stuffing. They were then put in roaster pans with some of the steaming liquid, a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice and baked until slightly browned and tender. This is the ultimate comfort food for me! And since becoming plant-based I continue to tweak our grandma's recipe to stay close to the taste yet be strictly plant-based.
You and I posted at the same time or I wouldn't have bothered mentioning the stuffing part. Sounds like a lot of love went into your grandmother's artichokes.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:27 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Grew up steaming them with some vinegar and minced garlic added to the steamer water. Trim the stem and cut an "X" in the part that remains to help the stem cook a bit better so you don't have to steam as long. Served with mayo for dipping.

Oh yeah, there are two in the fridge right now...now my mouth is watering so gotta get them started!

Old 04-11-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Grew up steaming them with some vinegar and minced garlic added to the steamer water. Trim the stem and cut an "X" in the part that remains to help the stem cook a bit better so you don't have to steam as long. Served with mayo for dipping.

Oh yeah, there are two in the fridge right now...now my mouth is watering so gotta get them started!
Yeah, this thread is killing me.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:49 PM

1,268 posts, read 673,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
You and I posted at the same time or I wouldn't have bothered mentioning the stuffing part. Sounds like a lot of love went into your grandmother's artichokes.
Lol! I think our bell went off at the same time SeaOfGrass!
I also think it's much easier getting the spiny choke out as you eat it after cooking. And yes grandma Kate put a lot of love in everything but her artichokes were to die for. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes