Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 05:31 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times

Advertisements

It looks like there are many variations now; every one claiming to be the best.

But some don't look right; for example one recipe is beige color. And some don't seem traditional -- many recipes say to add kiwi but isn't that a south Pacific fruit? There is also this "LA Kalbi" variant which is practically boiling the meat in the sauce...

So, I am wondering what the true traditional Korean recipe is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 06:14 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
I like recipes on MyKoreanKitchen.com. The recipes I've made from there have all been very similar to dishes that we've gotten at the 2 Korean restaurants that we go to that are run by Koreans.

The kiwi is a fairly available substitute for the Asian pear used in dishes like galbi/kalbi that a lot of people may not be able to get. There is an enzyme in both that tenderizes the meat.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:56 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Years ago I helped a Korean student by sharing my notes with her in class. In exchange she gave me her family's recipe for kalbi.

While her English was good she must have had some problem with translating measurements because she only gave me the list of the ingredients and her Americanized version of how to cook it. So all these years I've just winged it.

Authentic or not we like it over rice.

Soy sauce, brown sugar, minced onion and garlic, oil.

Marinate overnight and roast in oven. My understanding is that the original version is made over a charcoal fire.

I imagine that various areas may have various versions. But at least I know that the above ingredients were used by this Korean family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes