Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 03:52 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

I just threw together some stuff and came up with the best pie. I had a purchased pecan crust (it was on sale) and thought oh, how great would that be for a peach pie? But peaches are months away, so I got a can of really good peach pie filling, which has been sitting here for a bit. It's always more "filling" than fruit, so when raspberries went on sale, I got a container, washed and dried them, and coated them in the excess filling, then spread them over the peaches that I had placed as a bottom layer.

To me, this is the best pie I've had from "supermarket stuff."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 04:27 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
That sounds really tasty. It just needs some "supermarket stuff" vanilla ice cream to go on top.

There is nothing wrong with having a few really fancy delicious recipes that are easy to make and use convenience food item.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 PM

My favorite was Jiffy apple cinnamon muffin mix. I used to use two packages, peel and dice a whole apple and chop some walnuts, and they were fantastic. It always looked like barely enough batter to hold them together, but it worked out perfectly. Alas, they don't sell Jiffy apple cinnamon muffin mix anywhere near me. I look everywhere I go.

I agree on the supermarket ice cream. Coffee flavor for me.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My favorite was Jiffy apple cinnamon muffin mix. I used to use two packages, peel and dice a whole apple and chop some walnuts, and they were fantastic. It always looked like barely enough batter to hold them together, but it worked out perfectly. Alas, they don't sell Jiffy apple cinnamon muffin mix anywhere near me. I look everywhere I go.

I agree on the supermarket ice cream. Coffee flavor for me.

Well, if it's an itch ya really gotta scratch there's always: https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Apple-C...061081950&th=1

I only wish I could find a replacement for the Date Nut Loaf English Muffin maker Thomas used to sell.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, if it's an itch ya really gotta scratch there's always: https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Apple-C...061081950&th=1

I only wish I could find a replacement for the Date Nut Loaf English Muffin maker Thomas used to sell.

Thanks - it's still 50 cents a box from the manufacturer, but $20 shipping. They have brownie mix, too, and my imagination goes wild with that stuff.

My mother was crazy for the date nut loaf. I remember it fondly. There are a pile of copycat recipes online, so you're not alone.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks - it's still 50 cents a box from the manufacturer, but $20 shipping. They have brownie mix, too, and my imagination goes wild with that stuff.

Maybe you can find a cooperative local store manager? If they sell Jiffy products it shouldn't be a big deal to throw i na few more cases.

Quote:
My mother was crazy for the date nut loaf. I remember it fondly. There are a pile of copycat recipes online, so you're not alone.

I've tried a few recipes I found online but none came close. I used to buy a round loaf from Neuman's(sp?) Bakery from the Chicago area but it seems widely distributed and it was very similar, they went out of business and I was back to square one. I contacted Bimbo Bakeries (parent company of Thomas) but they won't share the recipe even though they no longer make it.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe you can find a cooperative local store manager? If they sell Jiffy products it shouldn't be a big deal to throw i na few more cases.

I fill out all the surveys at the bottom of the receipts and list all my wants, over and over. The store managers have enough on their plates right now.

I've tried a few recipes I found online but none came close. I used to buy a round loaf from Neuman's(sp?) Bakery from the Chicago area but it seems widely distributed and it was very similar, they went out of business and I was back to square one. I contacted Bimbo Bakeries (parent company of Thomas) but they won't share the recipe even though they no longer make it.

What a shame and am tempted to make the stupid joke about what to expect from a bakery that calls itself Bimbo. Dates being middle eastern, you might sort through a few recipes from that region. Based on having tried the copycats, you might have a good idea from reading if anything you find would come closer.

I've been after De Cecco pasta for the funghini shape, #96, for years and they also won't budge. But that's another thread. Jiffy was so nice. They fit 12 or 20 in a box (can't remember) but you could pick any amount of any kind you wanted, you just had to pay twice for shipping what you paid for the mix.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
What a shame and am tempted to make the stupid joke about what to expect from a bakery that calls itself Bimbo. Dates being middle eastern, you might sort through a few recipes from that region. Based on having tried the copycats, you might have a good idea from reading if anything you find would come closer.

I've been after De Cecco pasta for the funghini shape, #96, for years and they also won't budge. But that's another thread. Jiffy was so nice. They fit 12 or 20 in a box (can't remember) but you could pick any amount of any kind you wanted, you just had to pay twice for shipping what you paid for the mix.

Yeah, I'm kind of a Jiffy fan. I saw a piece about the company (maybe on 60 Minutes?) once where the company head and former driver of the Jiffy sponsored Indy car Howdy Holmes said of their corn muffin mix that they knew they could sell it for more but they didn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes