Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

I've been vegetarian for 24 yrs. and am raising a family/husband that are not veggie.

I bought chicken breasts and don't have a clue what to do w/ them now.

Do you have a tried and true recipe that you rely on to share w/ me?

THANKS!!

Alicia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
One of my very favourites is Chicken Tajine ( Moroccan )

Ingredients
For chermoula paste:
2 Spanish onions
5 cloves garlic
1 lemon, juiced
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 bunch coriander
sea salt, to season
cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder, to taste
½ cup extra virgin olive oil

olive oil, for cooking
1 whole chicken, chopped into sauté style pieces
1 Spanish onion, chopped into six
2 carrots, chopped into large pieces
1 small yam, chopped into large pieces
2 tbsp honey
small handful black olives
1 preserved lemon, finely chopped (see separate recipe)
water or stock
8 fresh dates, stones removed

Method
1. To make the chermoula, simply place all ingredients in a food processor and blend.
2. Marinate the chicken well in the paste.
3. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for a couple of minutes, colouring well on all sides.
4. Add the honey, vegetables, olives and preserved lemon and mix well.
5. Add enough stock or water to cover the chicken and vegetables liberally, and braise until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
6. Add the dates and serve with steamed couscous.

I also love Chicken Provencal :

Chicken Provencal - Country Living

And dishes such as Chicken Normande :

Chicken Normande with Apples and Cream Recipe4 Skinless, boneless chicken
-breasts
Salt & pepper
3 tb Butter
2 Shallots, chopped
1 Clove of garlic, finely
-chopped
1/2 c Dry blush wine
1/4 ts Dried thyme
2 Tart-sweet apples, peeled,
-cored & diced
1/2 c Heavy cream
1 c Shredded Brie or Camembert or even Mozzarella

Chicken Normande with Apples and Cream

Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, and saute just til soft. Add chicken and saute about 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Add wine & thyme. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add apples. Simmer additional 10 minutes. Preheat broiler. Transfer apples and chicken to a casserole dish. Add cream to liquid remaining in frying pan; stir constantly til mixture just comes to a boil. Pour over chicken, sprinkle with cheese and broil til cheese is melted and bubbly

I think the most important thing with chicken though is to buy free-range if you can afford it, the taste of a free range chicken is nothing like that of a battery one. They are a world apart. If you get a really good chicken , there is sometimes nothing better than simply roasting it with some garlic cloves under the skin, basting it with a little bit of butter as it cooks, served with its natural gravy juices and served with onions cooked in the same dish and roasted vegetables with home-made mashed potatoes.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
MESQUITE CHICKEN

Chicken Breasts of Chicken Quarters, skin removed or not
Dijon Mustard, not Dijonnaise
Mesquite Seasoning.
Baking dish big enough to hold the number of pieces of chicken you want to cook,

If you leave the skin on, place the breasts skin side down.

preheat oven to 350

Lightly grease the baking dish. Place chicken in baking dish in .single layers, Spread mustard over chicken. Lughtly sprinkle Mesquite Seasoning over mustard,

Bake about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.

Tip: Poke the chicken with a sharp knife or meat fork about 17 minutes. If you do not see blood, the chicken is done..

The average breast bakes in 20 mintues. However if it is large or thick, or you are baking a large amount of breasts, it may take longer.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Chicen and Noodles

Fresh mushrooms, carrots, celery, and onions
Cornstarch
Dutch Oven *Heavy 6 queart pan with lid*

Clean chicken, Put in Dutch Oven and cover with water. Add one whole peeked onion, 2-3 whole carrots, and 1-2 whole stalks of celery. Cover with lid. Simmer over a low heat until the chicken is done. Check once in a while to make sure the water doesn't dry up.

When the chicken is cooked, temove chicken and vegetables and set aside. Throw away the onion and celery.

To the chicken pan, add enough canned chicken stock to cook nnoodels. Bring the broth to a boil, add the noodles and cook until done.

Slice mushrooms and add to noodels.

Cut the chicken and carrots into pieces and add to the noodles.

Bring to boil and thicken lightly with a little cornstarch and water. Directions are on the box. When the chicen and noodles are thickened, add salt and pepper to taste or pass around the table.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Since it is warm out I love to grill...

I like easy recipes... I just marinate the chicken in Italian/Ceaser/Mediteranian... "oil based" Dressings... put some BBQ on if the mood strikes me... and grill it up... EASY

But if you have kids who eat the chicken... I just cut it up into cubes, dip them into itialian dressing (I use Fat Free) and then roll them into bread crumbs to make healthy chicken nuggests... Place them on a sprayed cookie sheet- and spray them with the cooking spray to give them a bit of a crisp... Bake at 350 for about 25 min... flip them over at the halfway mark to crisp the other side... they are tasty and the kids love them... they aren't fatty either.

Another easy one that my friend does is a can of cream of mushroom soup, the chicken breasts, carrots, corn all in the crock pot... once it is cooked put it over rice... My kids had it at her house and they loved it (I am not too big of a fan of the cream of mushroom so I don't cook it)

I like stir fry- that is easy... just dice it all up with the veg (I like to use the broc slaw you can buy in a bag- easy) and pan fry (I don't use oil... if it is starting to stick I just put a bit of water, soy, wine... moisture to keep it from sticking)

Anything you would make with tofu... you can make with chicken... I like to cook lite so I use a lot of vegetarian ideas... it won't be too difficult for you to get the hang of...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Rosemary chicken with garlic

2 T vegetable oil
Peeled garlic cloves (if you like it, peel a lot; if not, peel one or two)
4 chicken breasts
4 small red potatoes, quartered
1/2 C white wine (or water)
2T fresh rosemary
2 C fresh broccoli (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in the bottom of a dutch oven. Add the garlic, stir for a minute or two. Add the chicken, and brown on both sides. Add the potatoes, wine and rosemary. Cover and allow the chicken to braise for 40 minutes, turning once halfway through.

If you're adding broccoli, place the fresh broccoli over top of the chicken and potatoes, cover, and let it steam for five minutes.

And salt and pepper.

Pineapple chicken

1 can crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained
1 can green diced chiles (or 1 or two fresh jalapenos)
1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 t dried cilantro or oregano (or 1 T fresh)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 chicken breasts

Mix all ingredients but the chicken in a 2-quart covered casserole dish. Add the chicken and cover with the pineapple mixture. Bake in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

Serve over couscous.

And if you want, set aside some of the pineapple salsa for yourself -- before it's tainted with chicken -- or make an extra batch, and serve it over the couscous.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
If you're up to using your oven in August, this is one of our easiest and most beloved chicken dishes. I usually use bone-in chicken for this, but it would work with boneless chicken breasts if that's what you've got.

Chicken Imperial

1 chicken, cut up into pieces, or several boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Stick of butter or margerine
1 1/2 c. bread crumbs
3 Tbs parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
Fresh-ground black pepper to taste (we like it fairly peppery but not everyone does)
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9"x14"x1" (or thereabouts, doesn't have to be precise) pan with foil, curving the foil up the edges of the pan. You can do this without foil, but lining the pan with foil makes clean-up a piece of cake: you roll the greasy foil up, toss it in the trash, and put the pan back in the cupboard.

Wash and dry the chicken pieces. Place the butter in a large, shallow microwave safe bowl and microwave at low temp until melted. In a second large, shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese and seasonings. Dip each piece of chicken in the melted butter, then in the crumb mixture to coat thoroughly. Lay in foil-lined pan.

Bake at 350 for an hour, until the chicken juices run clear when you poke a knife in the thickest one.

You can bake potatoes to serve with the chicken, as long as you've got the oven heated up.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
You can buy some 'fryin' magic' or 'bakin' miracle', cut the chicken into pieces-since chicken breasts can be an inconsistent thickness, and do them like a Shake and bake. Spray a cookie sheet, dredge the chicken in the mix, and spray the chicken when it's on the pan. Just follow the directions on the box. This is also really good for pork chops. It's by the Shake and bake type stuff in the store.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Easy and good-dip chicken in egg then in crushed Durkee onion rings. Bake 400 20 min.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Easy and good-dip chicken in egg then in crushed Durkee onion rings. Bake 400 20 min.
That not only sounds delicious... but dangerous at the same time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes