Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times

Advertisements

My secret ingredient that seems to get a thumbs up from many people....a little bit of cinnamon.

I also use both chopped sweet pickle and dill pickle as opposed to actual relish (not much of either though). And I use more mustard than mayo. I like the suggestions above about chives or green onions or even a bit of dill (as long as it's not overpowering).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have a round 3-in-1 carrier. It holds a cake, but also has an insert each for cupcakes and deviled eggs.

Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cake-Carrier-.../dp/B0198OKG5W

My filling is really basic. Yolk, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, all to taste. I garnish with whatever. Paprika, sliced olive, chopped relish, fresh snipped chives, fresh snipped dill, whatever.
Thanks for another option.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just did some wasabi and green onion deviled eggs that turned out well.
Interesting, did you also add mayo or other stuff or just the two ingredients you mentioned?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My secret ingredient that seems to get a thumbs up from many people....a little bit of cinnamon.

I also use both chopped sweet pickle and dill pickle as opposed to actual relish (not much of either though). And I use more mustard than mayo. I like the suggestions above about chives or green onions or even a bit of dill (as long as it's not overpowering).

OK lol, but I am intrigued about what is your actual recipe that you include cinnamon in? And how much cinnamon. It sounds good, but I am not sure I get what your actual recipe is. Thanks for explaining further.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK lol, but I am intrigued about what is your actual recipe that you include cinnamon in? And how much cinnamon. It sounds good, but I am not sure I get what your actual recipe is. Thanks for explaining further.
Well, the cinnamon is just a pinch or so, thrown in with all the other ingredients while I am mixing. An amount small enough that people notice it, but are not sure what it is until you tell them, then they say "Aha".

My recipe seems to be something I've modified over the years based primarily on my husband saying there's too much or too little of something. I scoop the yolks out of the hard boiled eggs and mash them with a fork (I like to leave them kind of chunky). Then I add a pretty liberal amount of yellow mustard, and just enough mayo to moisten without it clumping. I add salt, pepper and the cinnamon as my dry ingredients. I add one small cut up sweet pickle, one small dill pickle and a splash of hot sauce. Then I mix well and spoon it liberally back into the eggs and add a pinch of paprika and maybe a bit more cinnamon on top of each egg. That's it, I think (don't have it written down).

Edit: Thanks for the links for the trays, emm74 and TabulaRasa. Just placed an order for one.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 03-28-2017 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Well, the cinnamon is just a pinch or so, thrown in with all the other ingredients while I am mixing. An amount small enough that people notice it, but are not sure what it is until you tell them, then they say "Aha".

My recipe seems to be something I've modified over the years based primarily on my husband saying there's too much or too little of something. I scoop the yolks out of the hard boiled eggs and mash them with a fork (I like to leave them kind of chunky). Then I add a pretty liberal amount of yellow mustard, and just enough mayo to moisten without it clumping. I add salt, pepper and the cinnamon as my dry ingredients. I add one small cut up sweet pickle, one small dill pickle and a splash of hot sauce. Then I mix well and spoon it liberally back into the eggs and add a pinch of paprika and maybe a bit more cinnamon on top of each egg. That's it, I think (don't have it written down).

Edit: I just ordered that egg tray you had the link to emm74. $10 for one and it gets 5 starts out of 900+ reviews. That seems like a good ROI.

Thanks. Sounds like something to try!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Interesting, did you also add mayo or other stuff or just the two ingredients you mentioned?
Yes. IRC mayo, green onions and white pepper, and some Bragg's Amino Acids?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
This may sound odd, but I put them in cupcake/ muffin tins for transport. I have several of them & don't bake that kind of stuff anymore. I cover lightly with foil, then upon arrival, transfer onto a plate if looking pretty is important.

Recipe is basic, I add to the mashed yolks a little light mayo, mustard (regular or spicy deli), finely chopped onion (red or white), & dill relish. I stopped using sweet relish because of high fructose corn syrup. Add salt & pepper to taste, sometimes garnish with a black olive slice.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy
That looks like a great carrier for deviled eggs. Thanks.
mmmmmmmmm I havent had them in along time!!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I add a bit of mustard, some mayo, salt and paprika on top when finished. I once put some capers on top of the finished eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes