Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times

Advertisements

I consider myself a hot sauce aficionado and I make a lot of different sauces at home. The typical salsa roja or salsa taquera is made from dried chiles along with some other ingredients and yes it usually calls for a small amount of tomato to help bind it. Here is a Guajillo salsa recipe. You can substitute any other dried chiles. Keep in mind the Ancho chile is the mildest. If you can get them in your area you can also use dried chipotles. Regular tomato can be substituted instead of the cherry tomatoes. This is not my recipe, it is from a book called "Salsas of the World" by Mark Miller.

Guajillo Salsa
4 ounces guajillo chiles
4 arbol chiles
1 tablespoon seeds from guajillo and arbol chiles
3 cups water
4 cloves garlic
1/2 white onion
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
2-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon agave nectar (I use white sugar to taste)

Preheat a cast iron pan or comal to medium-low. Stem and seed the guajillo and arbol chiles. Combine the
seeds and toast 1 tablespoon of the seeds for 2 minutes, making sure not to burn. Reserve. Toast the guajillo and arbol chiles for 2 minutes. Place in a saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1-1/2 cups.

Roast the garlic and onion in the cast iron pan or comal on medium-low for 15 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and roast the tomatoes for 6 minutes. Chop the onion and measure 1/2 cup. Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and cooked chiles in a blender and mix for 4 minutes on low speed. Add the toasted seeds, salt, red wine vinegar, and agave nectar and blend on high speed for 4 minutes until a smooth puree is achieved. Yield 2 cups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,684 times
Default Hot sauce

2 1/2 handfuls of chiles japones( dried)
2 1/2 cups water
2 lbs tomatoes
1/2 onion
1 small habenero( if you like hotter)

Put peppers, tomatoes, onions, and habanero in a pot and boil together until skins are falling off tomatoes and peppers are soft. Let cool

Put everything in a blender and blend thoroughly. Add approx 3 tablespoons salt. Blend again until thoroughly mixed. put in fridge after cool down.

The sauce tends to change taste after cooling and believe it or not you may need to add a little more salt. But whatever your tastes are for you. Salt tends to bring out flavors. Also may need to thin with a little water for your desired consistancy.

This sauce isnt "exact" but Ill tell you its pretty close. Great for dipping chips in or pouring over a homeade carne asada burrito....Enjoy

Old 05-31-2022, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
I have scoured the web to find a recipe for San Diego taco shop hot sauce (the little solo cups). Pulling together a few different sources, I think I have gotten very close.

Ingredients:
25 chile de arbol peppers
12 oz water
4 unpeeled cloves of garlic
1 8-oz can of tomato sauce
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 pinches oregano
1 tsp salt

Recipe:
First, rinse the peppers to be sure they are clean.

In a bowl, soak the chile de arbol peppers in the 12 oz. of boiling water. Cover the peppers with something (a small plate) to keep them under the water. Let soak for 90 minutes.

In a blender, blend the peppers with the 12 oz. of soaking water. Blend until as smooth as you can get it (about one minute).

Microwave (yes, microwave) 4 unpeeled garlic cloves for about 25 seconds. They will be hot. Peel them and place them in the blender. Blend again for about 15 seconds.

Add the 8-oz can of tomato sauce, red wine vinegar, oregano, and salt. Blend again for about 15 seconds.

That's it - it is not a hard recipe, but it provides the best flavor I have found for the San Diego taco shop hot sauce that you crave when you are out of town.

You can use right away, but the flavor gets better over the next day. Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2023, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 750 times
Default Copy Cat Roberto's Taco Shop Salsa Rojo

Copy Cat Roberto's Taco Shop Salsa Rojo
Total Prepare Time 15 Min. (Makes about 1 Pint of Salsa 16oz.)

20 Whole Dry Szechuan Chinese Red Chili Pods
6 to 10 Whole Dry Chili De Arbol Red Chili Pods (for heat)
3 Whole Dry Serrano Red Chili Pods (optional for more smokey flavor)
2 Large Fresh Garlic Cloves
1/2 to1 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 to 1 Teaspoon of Chicken Boulion or Chicken Base
1 and 1/2 Cups of Water
1 Tablespoon of Lime Juice (or Lemon) to Taste (also lowers pH which helps as a preservative)

Ingredients Notes The Chilis may be adjusted for more or less heat and smokey flavor. Use 30 to 33 Whole Chilis in any ratio you want. The ratio in this recipe is fairly hot like Robertos Salsa

Procedure Put all chilis and garlic in a sauce pan. Cover with water, bring to boil. Add Chicken Boulion or Base and Lime, stir to dissolve. Remove from heat.

Blending Put in blender and blend until all chilis and garlic are crushed and blended well but not too well . Salt to Taste. Chill (SEE BLEND NOTES BELOW)

Blending Notes Do not blend at high speed, that will liquify the seeds, and make the salsa turn orange or brown by infusing to much air into the salsa and smoothing it too much.

Better to blend slowly in pulses then steady at a speed that does not crush the seeds and introduce air.
If you use a Vitamix blender turn it above 6 and 5 is the max continous speed.

Last edited by cb-las-vegas; 07-29-2023 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: It got all mushed together when I posted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes